HELP please - page errors

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Stef, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. Stef

    Stef Guest

    Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!

    I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
    However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
    "page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page it
    says

    res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
    onlineservices.

    Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates it
    starts then goes to a page saying

    Windows Update Error

    Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy in
    your computer's time setting.

    To check your date and time setting:

    1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
    2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
    The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear and
    spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?

    Stef, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Stef

    Will Denny Guest

    Hi

    Which Halifax URL are you trying to use? I can access all the Halifax web pages. Have you checked that your security settings aren't set too high - Tools>Internet Options>Security - set to 'Default Level'. Failing that, have you contacted Halifax to see if they have a problem ATM?

    --

    Will Denny

    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    "Stef" <> wrote in message news:RL4jc.36542$Y%9.net...
    > Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!
    >
    > I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
    > However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
    > "page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page it
    > says
    >

    > res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
    > onlineservices.
    >

    > Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates it
    > starts then goes to a page saying
    >

    > Windows Update Error
    >
    > Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy in
    > your computer's time setting.
    >
    > To check your date and time setting:
    >
    > 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
    > 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
    > The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear and
    > spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?

    ---

    Will Denny, Apr 26, 2004

  3. Stef

    Stef Guest

    No, I can get on without problem at my mothers pc. Brought security settings
    right down to low. And I still can't connect to windows update.

    Stef, Apr 26, 2004
  4. Stef

    Will Denny Guest

    Hi

    What - if any error messages - are you seeing when you try to access WU?

    --

    Will Denny

    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    "Stef" <> wrote in message news:ke6jc.36552$Y%9.net...
    > No, I can get on without problem at my mothers pc. Brought security settings
    > right down to low. And I still can't connect to windows update.
    >
    > "Will Denny" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Which Halifax URL are you trying to use? I can access all the Halifax web
    > pages. Have you checked that your security settings aren't set too high -
    > Tools>Internet Options>Security - set to 'Default Level'. Failing that,
    > have you contacted Halifax to see if they have a problem ATM?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    >
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > "Stef" <> wrote in message
    >> Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!
    >>
    >> I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
    >> However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
    >> "page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page it
    >> says
    >>

    > res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
    >> onlineservices.
    >>

    >> Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates

    > it
    >> starts then goes to a page saying
    >>

    >> Windows Update Error
    >>
    >> Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy

    > in
    >> your computer's time setting.
    >>
    >> To check your date and time setting:
    >>
    >> 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
    >> 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
    >> The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear

    > and
    >> spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?
    >>

    > ---

    ---

    Will Denny, Apr 26, 2004
  5. Stef

    Stef Guest

    Windows Update Error
    I get:

    Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy in
    your computer's time setting.
    To check your date and time setting:
    1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
    2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.

    The date and time IS correct.

    "Stef" <> wrote in message
    > No, I can get on without problem at my mothers pc. Brought security

    settings
    > right down to low. And I still can't connect to windows update.
    >
    > "Will Denny" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Which Halifax URL are you trying to use? I can access all the Halifax web
    > pages. Have you checked that your security settings aren't set too high -
    > Tools>Internet Options>Security - set to 'Default Level'. Failing that,
    > have you contacted Halifax to see if they have a problem ATM?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    >
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > "Stef" <> wrote in message
    >> Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!
    >>
    >> I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
    >> However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
    >> "page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page

    it
    >> says

    res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
    >> onlineservices.
    >>

    >> Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates

    > it
    >> starts then goes to a page saying
    >>

    >> Windows Update Error
    >>
    >> Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy

    > in
    >> your computer's time setting.
    >>
    >> To check your date and time setting:
    >>
    >> 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
    >> 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
    >> The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear

    > and
    >> spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?
    >>

    > ---

    ---

    Stef, Apr 26, 2004
  6. Stef

    Will Denny Guest

    Hi

    Yes, your date and time are correct - same as mine!! May I suggest that you post your problem in the Windows Update News Group:

    --

    Will Denny

    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    ---

    Will Denny, Apr 26, 2004
  7. Stef

    Trent© Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:33:53 +0100, "Stef"
    <> wrote:

    >Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!
    >
    >I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
    >However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
    >"page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page it
    >says
    >

    >res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
    >onlineservices.
    >

    >Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates it
    >starts then goes to a page saying
    >

    >Windows Update Error
    >
    >Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy in
    >your computer's time setting.
    >
    >To check your date and time setting:
    >
    > 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
    > 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
    >The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear and
    >spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?

    Did you disable the firewall?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    What do you call a smart blonde?
    A golden retriever.

    Trent©, Apr 27, 2004
  8. Stef

    Stef Guest

    Have done so, but with no response. I'm getting desperate now and seriously
    thinking of uninstalling XP and going back to 98. Can anyone help??

    "Stef" <> wrote in message
    > Windows Update Error
    > I get:
    >
    > Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy

    in
    > your computer's time setting.
    > To check your date and time setting:
    > 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
    > 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
    >
    > The date and time IS correct.
    >
    > "Will Denny" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > What - if any error messages - are you seeing when you try to access WU?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    >
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > "Stef" <> wrote in message
    >> No, I can get on without problem at my mothers pc. Brought security

    > settings
    >> right down to low. And I still can't connect to windows update.
    >>
    >> "Will Denny" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Which Halifax URL are you trying to use? I can access all the Halifax

    web
    >> pages. Have you checked that your security settings aren't set too

    high -
    >> Tools>Internet Options>Security - set to 'Default Level'. Failing that,
    >> have you contacted Halifax to see if they have a problem ATM?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >>
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> "Stef" <> wrote in message
    >>> Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!
    >>>
    >>> I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
    >>> However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
    >>> "page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page

    > it
    >>> says

    res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
    >>> onlineservices.
    >>>

    >>> Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates

    >> it
    >>> starts then goes to a page saying
    >>>

    >>> Windows Update Error
    >>>
    >>> Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a

    discrepancy
    >> in
    >>> your computer's time setting.
    >>>
    >>> To check your date and time setting:
    >>>
    >>> 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
    >>> 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
    >>> The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear

    >> and
    >>> spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?
    >>>

    >> ---
    >>

    > ---

    ---

    Stef, Apr 27, 2004
  9. Stef

    Camel Toe Guest

    so its just a few pages that wont load? that halifax site and the WU site?
    or are no sites at all loading up? if no sites at all are loading up, are
    you getting an IP address from your ISP? Do you have Eastlink or Aliant?

    JC

    Camel Toe, Apr 29, 2004
  10. Stef

    Stef Guest

    "Stef" <> wrote in message
    > Apologies for the cross posting but I'm desperate!
    >
    > I have just upgraded to XP. It is a fully legal, registered version.
    > However, when I try to connect to, say my online banking site I get the
    > "page cannot be displayed" error. If I click on properties for the page it
    > says

    res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.halifax.co.uk/
    > onlineservices.
    >

    > Neither can I get on to Windows update. When I click to scan for updates

    it
    > starts then goes to a page saying
    >

    > Windows Update Error
    >
    > Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy

    in
    > your computer's time setting.
    >
    > To check your date and time setting:
    >
    > 1.. On the taskbar, double-click the time.
    > 2.. Verify that the date and time is correct.
    > The time and date IS correct. Cookies are enableD and the cache is clear

    and
    > spyware has been removed. Anyone help me PLEASE?

    Errr--- found out what the prob was. I didn't have SSL enabled. Panic over!
    Sorry folks.

    Stef, Apr 29, 2004