Help Please! New Memory in PC. BIOS Detects, but Windows 98 Freezes when its about to load.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ZC TGS, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. ZC TGS

    ZC TGS Guest

    Hi

    I need a bit of help.

    Got a PC here where the original memory was replaced because it was
    faulty. The original memory was 128MB PC100.

    The new memory is 256MB PC100.

    The problem is that since it was replaced, the BIOS detects the new
    256MB memory, but Windows refuses to load. It stops as it displays the
    Starting Windows message

    Have also tried the PC with 512MB PC100 memory as well and the same
    problem occurs.

    Looked into reformatting the PC but when I boot up with the floppy
    boot disk it can't find the C:\

    Any ideas would be great!

    Thanks,
    TGS
    ZC TGS, Jul 1, 2003

  2. ZC TGS

    Buffalo Guest

    Some things to try.
    Go into the BIOS (usually by holding down the del key) and go to the
    section on Ram and make sure the timing is set to SPD.
    If there is more than 1 slot for the ram, try the other one(s).
    Is the memory actually correct for the PC?
    Not all PC-100 memory is the same.
    Go to Crucial.com and look it up.
    Did it ever finish booting after putting in the new memory?
    When was the last time it actually booted into Windows?
    What version of Windows are you using? 95,95,98SE,ME ?

    "Bob B" <> wrote in message

    > "ZC TGS" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I need a bit of help.
    > >
    > > Got a PC here where the original memory was replaced because it was
    > > faulty. The original memory was 128MB PC100.
    > >
    > > The new memory is 256MB PC100.
    > >
    > > The problem is that since it was replaced, the BIOS detects the new
    > > 256MB memory, but Windows refuses to load. It stops as it displays the
    > > Starting Windows message
    > >
    > > Have also tried the PC with 512MB PC100 memory as well and the same
    > > problem occurs.
    > >
    > > Looked into reformatting the PC but when I boot up with the floppy
    > > boot disk it can't find the C:\
    > >
    > > Any ideas would be great!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > TGS
    > > You may find that your motherboard can only handle 128MB in each slot

    ...go

    Buffalo, Jul 1, 2003

  3. ZC TGS

    Jimchip Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:31:10 GMT, Ron Martell wrote:
    > "Michael Thompson" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Try starting in safe mode. Then go and increase you VM to at least double
    >>the amout of installed memory
    >>

    > What version of Windows is that piece of bad advice intended for?
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Ver. 1.0
    "I've been a loyal Windows fan since the first version,
    which required you to write on the screen with crayons" (Dave Barry)

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)
    Jimchip, Jul 1, 2003
  4. ZC TGS

    Ralph Guest

    >>rattle>>On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:12:18 -0500, Donald Link <> proclaimed:

    >>rattle>>
    >>rattle>>Sounds like it is not memory related but files that were corrupted
    >>rattle>>when the memory was bad or the hard disk is bad. Does the BIOS
    >>rattle>>reconize the hard drive? If so you may need go thru the whole process
    >>rattle>>of fdisking the drive, setting an active partition and extended
    >>rattle>>partition (if needed) and reformatting the drive and installing
    >>rattle>>everything new.
    >>rattle>>
    >>rattle>>

    I concur Donald, Since he's gotten to the point of loading the OS,
    anything on the motherboard should no longer be an issue. It's already
    gone past it and is looking towards a peripheral.

    Whether fault is in HD failure, or data corruption on the HD is
    anyone's guess. At this point, my opinion (since reformatting doesn't
    seem to be a stated issue) is to do like you suggested, i.e. delete
    the partitions and start over with fdisk if further trouble shooting
    takes up too much time.

    Since he stated that his boot disk doesn't see the C:\ drive, I would
    first check to see if the bios still sees the drive. If not, then
    check all the connections (knocked many loose while rummaging in small
    cases all the time) from both ends of the IDE cable.

    Further, we don't know what caused the memory strip to fail; i.e. was
    it an isolated part failure or was the system subjected to some insult
    or mishap (power surge, condensation or water damage, etc). Obviously,
    the former is preferred, however if it's the latter, then every piece
    of hardware in the system becomes suspect.

    Additionally, since the system seems to halt on OS initiation, the
    suggestion to safe boot, or better yet, to load each Windows command
    line by line may illuminate the problem. If the system halts on a
    particular Windows command, then try to bypass that command to see if
    the problem resolves. If so, then some chain of event initiated by
    that Win command is not being completed for whatever reason and is
    causing the hang.

    Ralph

    Ralph, Jul 7, 2003