help please my computer has gone haywire.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by yadalda@gmail.com, Apr 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    ok i have an p3 384 ram a cd drive. i had no floppy drive. my pc worked
    just fine. it loaded up and i go everything to work.
    i sleep and get up the next morning and trun on the computer.
    and leave assuming that it needs to load. it doesn't even go to bios.
    it says install loppy drive. also its making a loud beeping sound and
    will not stop.
    so i shut it down and install a floppy drive that i have laying around
    soewhere and restart.
    now it says:
    Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
    copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
    BIOS ROM Checksum error
    Detecting Floppy drive A media.
    INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

    when i do that it reads the disk and says the same as above but now it
    says

    A:_

    what can i do to fix this so it loads winodws again. could it just be
    the bios needing updating or is it something else.

    , Apr 9, 2006

  2. SgtMinor Guest

    wrote:
    > ok i have an p3 384 ram a cd drive. i had no floppy drive. my pc worked
    > just fine. it loaded up and i go everything to work.
    > i sleep and get up the next morning and trun on the computer.
    > and leave assuming that it needs to load. it doesn't even go to bios.
    > it says install loppy drive. also its making a loud beeping sound and
    > will not stop.
    > so i shut it down and install a floppy drive that i have laying around
    > soewhere and restart.
    > now it says:
    > Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
    > copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
    > BIOS ROM Checksum error
    > Detecting Floppy drive A media.
    > INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
    >
    > when i do that it reads the disk and says the same as above but now it
    > says
    >
    > A:_
    >
    > what can i do to fix this so it loads winodws again. could it just be
    > the bios needing updating or is it something else.

    From the horse's mouth:

    AwardBIOS Error Messages

    http://www.phoenix.com/en/Customer Services/BIOS/AwardBIOS/Award Error Codes.htm

    SgtMinor, Apr 9, 2006

  3. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    spewed forth:
    > ok i have an p3 384 ram a cd drive. i had no floppy drive. my pc
    > worked just fine. it loaded up and i go everything to work.
    > i sleep and get up the next morning and trun on the computer.
    > and leave assuming that it needs to load. it doesn't even go to bios.
    > it says install loppy drive. also its making a loud beeping sound and
    > will not stop.
    > so i shut it down and install a floppy drive that i have laying around
    > soewhere and restart.
    > now it says:
    > Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
    > copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
    > BIOS ROM Checksum error
    > Detecting Floppy drive A media.
    > INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
    >
    > when i do that it reads the disk and says the same as above but now it
    > says
    >
    > A:_
    >
    > what can i do to fix this so it loads winodws again. could it just be
    > the bios needing updating or is it something else.

    My first guess is that your system battery has probably lost it's charge. So
    the settings in the BIOS are wrong. That's why it expected to find a floppy,
    since it's a "default" setting in most BIOSs to have a floppy disc
    installed. And it doesn't know what kind of hard drive you have.

    So go into the BIOS setup (the screen should tell you how - press DEL, or
    F2, or something like that when the memory test is running) and fix the
    settings. If it works, you'll want to really look at that battery issue.

    But that's just my first guess.

    My second guess is that your keyboard has intermittent Shift keys. You
    know - the keys that should be used to capitalize sentences? Those. They
    seem to not work correctly.

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 9, 2006
  4. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >ok i have an p3 384 ram a cd drive. i had no floppy drive. my pc worked
    >just fine. it loaded up and i go everything to work.
    >i sleep and get up the next morning and trun on the computer.
    >and leave assuming that it needs to load. it doesn't even go to bios.
    >it says install loppy drive. also its making a loud beeping sound and
    >will not stop.
    >so i shut it down and install a floppy drive that i have laying around
    >soewhere and restart.
    >now it says:
    >Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
    >copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
    >BIOS ROM Checksum error
    >Detecting Floppy drive A media.
    >INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
    >
    >when i do that it reads the disk and says the same as above but now it
    >says
    >
    >A:_
    >
    >what can i do to fix this so it loads winodws again. could it just be
    >the bios needing updating or is it something else.

    Start the computer and go into the BIOS setup.

    Use the option to "automatically detect hard disk drives" and see if
    it detects the hard drive. If not then the hard drive has possibly
    died or become disconnected in some way. If it does detect the hard
    drive then your computer should boot up okay when you save the changes
    and exit the BIOS setup. However in this case it is probably the
    CMOS batter that has died, causing it to fail to detect the hard
    drive, and you therefore may need to replace that.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Apr 9, 2006
  5. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
    > copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
    > BIOS ROM Checksum error

    Here's a very long article written in 2001 which contains this bios
    screen

    Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
    Copyright © 1998, Award Software, Inc.
    BIOS ROM checksum error
    Detecting floppy drive A media.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/award-bios-update.html
    AWARD FLASH BIOS Update Guide

    If you search on 'Award Boot Block BIOS v1.0' you will find very many
    articles describing what is going on with the bootblock trying to help
    you solve the corrupt bios problem. Those articles describe recovery
    strategies and tools with the possibility of recovering and the
    possibility of not.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 9, 2006
  6. Guest

    wrote:
    > ok i have an p3 384 ram a cd drive. i had no floppy drive. my pc worked
    > just fine. it loaded up and i go everything to work.
    > i sleep and get up the next morning and trun on the computer.
    > and leave assuming that it needs to load. it doesn't even go to bios.
    > it says install loppy drive. also its making a loud beeping sound and
    > will not stop.
    > so i shut it down and install a floppy drive that i have laying around
    > soewhere and restart.
    > now it says:
    > Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
    > copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
    > BIOS ROM Checksum error
    > Detecting Floppy drive A media.
    > INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
    >
    > when i do that it reads the disk and says the same as above but now it
    > says
    >
    > A:_
    >
    > what can i do to fix this so it loads winodws again. could it just be
    > the bios needing updating or is it something else.

    no guyes this isn't a laptop and there is no bttery isue. what i am
    looking for is a step by step prosses to guid methrouth this.

    , Apr 9, 2006
  7. Dan Evans Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > no guyes this isn't a laptop and there is no bttery isue. what i am
    > looking for is a step by step prosses to guid methrouth this.

    You have a blank hard drive, the A: prompt is because you have started with
    a system floppy disk.

    Make sure the hard drive is connected and has an OS installed.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 9, 2006
  8. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > no guyes this isn't a laptop and there is no bttery isue.

    They aren't talking about a laptop battery, they are talking about the
    mobo CMOS battery which maintains settings and system clock-- but I
    think your problem is different from a CMOS battery problem.

    > what i am
    > looking for is a step by step prosses to guid methrouth this.

    Here's a pretty good one http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html
    Award 6.0 BootBlock BIOS Recovery for Abit Motherboards

    Snippages from various parts of the page below....

    <sNip>
    The BootBlock is a portion of the BIOS which will sometimes boot when
    the BIOS itself has been corrupted to enable you to boot to a floppy and
    reflash. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. -- In order to
    attempt the reflash, prepare a DOS boot diskette with no CONFIG.SYS --
    Create a single line AUTOEXEC.BAT -- Prior to flashing with your
    recovery diskette, remove the power cord and open up your computer --
    etc

    Another nifty method to recover consists of placing AWDFLASH.EXE and the
    currently installed BIOS .BIN file on a formatted diskette (no operating
    system required). -- etc

    If you cannot get the BootBlock to flash, your chip may be too corrupt
    to recover using the above methods. Some options are: -- etc
    </sNip>

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 9, 2006
  9. Alan Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> ok i have an p3 384 ram a cd drive. i had no floppy drive. my pc worked
    >> just fine. it loaded up and i go everything to work.
    >> i sleep and get up the next morning and trun on the computer.
    >> and leave assuming that it needs to load. it doesn't even go to bios.
    >> it says install loppy drive. also its making a loud beeping sound and
    >> will not stop.
    >> so i shut it down and install a floppy drive that i have laying around
    >> soewhere and restart.
    >> now it says:
    >> Awart Boot Block BIOS v1.0
    >> copyright (c) 1998, Award software, Inc
    >> BIOS ROM Checksum error
    >> Detecting Floppy drive A media.
    >> INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
    >>
    >> when i do that it reads the disk and says the same as above but now it
    >> says
    >>
    >> A:_
    >>
    >> what can i do to fix this so it loads winodws again. could it just be
    >> the bios needing updating or is it something else.

    > no guyes this isn't a laptop and there is no bttery isue. what i am
    > looking for is a step by step prosses to guid methrouth this.

    All computers (even desktops) have whats called a BIOS battery - its
    about the size of a quarter to store your computer settings when there
    is no power. Why these are not rechargeable, I'll never know. The GOOD
    news is that I've sen them in 'regular stores' versus the geek stores.

    open up the computer and look for a round silver shiney "watch" battery
    held on by a clip of sorts. Take it out, REMEMBERING WHICH SIDE WAS UP
    Look at the number thats on the battery take it to a a place that
    sells a variety of batteries (CVS, Brooks, Walgreens, etc...) and look
    for that number. Note - you may see it in small print as in 123 -
    replacing 456 and 789.

    Alan, Apr 9, 2006
  10. Guest

    thanks mike i think i will try the instructions on that page i hope it
    works.
    if not i'll let u know.

    , Apr 10, 2006
  11. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > thanks mike i think i will try the instructions on that page i hope it
    > works.
    > if not i'll let u know.

    Checking the battery is not a bad idea if it is easily done, which is
    mentioned by a number of people here and sites elsewhere but which is
    not on that page. What is the mobo?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 10, 2006
  12. Martin Smith Guest

    Your complete lack of ability to construct a simple sentence make it very
    hard to understand the drivel which you so incessantly post.

    As for punctuation, grammar, spelling and general typing skills, I suggest
    you need to go back to school before you even consider trying to fix
    something as complex as a computer.

    --
    ---
    ----

    Remove 999 to reply

    Martin Smith, Apr 13, 2006
  13. Dan Evans Guest

    "Martin Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Your complete lack of ability to construct a simple sentence make it very
    > hard to understand the drivel which you so incessantly post.

    From someone who manages to not quote the post he is replying to. Ah, NTL.

    Arse

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 13, 2006
  14. Dan Evans wrote:
    > "Martin Smith" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Your complete lack of ability to construct a simple sentence make it very
    >>hard to understand the drivel which you so incessantly post.

    > From someone who manages to not quote the post he is replying to. Ah, NTL.

    Bastards!
    They give the superior fuckwits a bad name.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Apr 13, 2006
  15. Guest

    ok guys i changed the battery and tryed to boot it up but nothing
    worked is there anything else that i can do.

    , Apr 16, 2006
  16. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    spewed forth:
    > ok guys i changed the battery and tryed to boot it up but nothing
    > worked is there anything else that i can do.

    Changing the battery also requires fixing the settings in CMOS. Does your
    system display anything on the screen telling you how to get into setup?

    Toolman Tim, Apr 16, 2006
  17. Guest

    no

    , Apr 16, 2006
  18. Guest

    no

    , Apr 16, 2006
  19. Guest

    no

    , Apr 16, 2006
  20. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    spewed forth:
    > no

    Award BIOS setup is generally accessed by pressing a specific during the
    memory test. Does your system show a memory test?
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm gives the most common
    options.

    Once you are into the setup, you need to look at the boot devices and be
    sure the hard drive is configured correctly, or set to "Auto". Then check to
    be sure that the hard drive is listed in the boot sequence. I usually set my
    boot sequence to A:, CD-ROM, then the hard drive.

    More info on Award BIOS settings may be available here:
    http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/bios_setup.htm. You should probably set the
    CMOS to "Fail-safe Defaults" first, then see if the system boots. If it
    does, try the "Optimized Defaults" and see if that works.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 17, 2006