HELP please ! Maxtor drive ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Sandy (Idaho Ghost), Jul 21, 2004.

  1. My mothers pc has 2 drives
    C: .... primary (WDC)
    D: ... slave (Maxtor)

    Pc ...
    Micron 120 (old)

    She has had no problems until today.
    When she boots up, it all of the sudden does not show a second disk.

    We get the win98 logo, and the EZ-BIOS startup notice and that is it.
    It is like EZ-Bios can no longer see it. I tried booting with a
    win98 startup disk ... no luck ...

    I downloaded and ran the Maxtor "PowerMax" diagnostic software and ran
    it. It appears to be able to read it and says "Congratulations, no
    problems"

    So, it can read it, but the Bios boot-up can not. (it worked fine for
    years). Also, F2 to setup, shows it is there. I don't know what
    to look for next.

    Does anyone know if there might be a corrupt file and if so, what file
    it might be and where would I find it?

    Thank you for any help, suggestions, etc.
    Sandy
    Idaho Ghost

    Sandy (Idaho Ghost), Jul 21, 2004

  2. Sandy  (Idaho Ghost)

    buddy bird Guest

    try changing your ide cable first or making sure it is plugged in all the
    way.
    try using a bootfloppy with fdisk.exe
    if you get 4 options, there is a problem
    if you get 5 options
    (change drives being the 5th) then there is still hope
    it is just a matter of finding what is the culpret

    buddy bird, Jul 22, 2004