Help please! Like Lazarus my PC has risen from the dead, but how and will it last?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Marful, May 22, 2009.

  1. Marful

    Marful Guest

    Hello All,

    Running Windows XP
    ASUS A8N5X MOBO
    Athlon 3700
    1GB DDR SDRAM PC400 (2x 512MB Corsair value)
    2x IDE HDD 80GB Maxtor
    1x FDD
    1x DVD
    1x DVD-RW
    1x Gigabte PCIE Graphics card
    1x backup 56K modem (never used)

    ****EXECUTIVE SUMMARY - no post yesterday, working today - how can I find
    out what is broken before it goes again while I have the chance to run some
    diagnositcs****

    Long Story:

    I have a perplexing dilemma - yesterday upon returning home from work ad my
    computer powered up as noisily as ever, however it did not post, or boot.
    So I set about stripping her down to see if something had faulted - took out
    all cards, usb connectors from mobo etc leaving only PSU, CPU and a stick of
    ram - still no post beeps.

    Next took out all ram, tried a different PSU and nothing (oh all fans still
    getting power btw). so ran with just the PSU and CPU and no beeps - figured
    at this point either the mobo or cpu were gone, a bit miffed as I only built
    this system ~ 3 yrs at this point I am broke (seriously poor!) and my LCD
    backlight is going (another storey for another time) so that is already
    going to cost me £80-100.

    Tried again this morning before going to work and same stoy - nothing -
    ~DEAD!

    Came in from work an hour ago, kicked the box, the south bridge chip fan
    came off (it's a replacement after the original failed and I installed a new
    one about 2/3 months ago), pluged her in and I got warning beeps as no mem,
    graphics card etc installed. At present I have her running and am backing up
    like a demon but the first startup to check her out resulted in a machine
    code error. I didn't have time to note the details just the BSOD.

    I imagine I'm still fecked, and am 90% sure it's the mobo (I'll try to get a
    swappable replacement from ebay so I can keep my RAM, CPU etc if it is) but
    is there any way to be sure it's not the CPU, now that I have her running
    (software diagnostics etc). I know the best way is via a test system but I
    don't have a compatible board/mobo available so that's out.

    Thanks for any help.

    Marful.

    Marful, May 22, 2009

  2. Marful

    chuckcar Guest

    "Marful" <> wrote in

    > Hello All,
    >
    > Running Windows XP
    > ASUS A8N5X MOBO
    > Athlon 3700
    > 1GB DDR SDRAM PC400 (2x 512MB Corsair value)
    > 2x IDE HDD 80GB Maxtor
    > 1x FDD
    > 1x DVD
    > 1x DVD-RW
    > 1x Gigabte PCIE Graphics card
    > 1x backup 56K modem (never used)
    >
    > ****EXECUTIVE SUMMARY - no post yesterday, working today - how can I
    > find out what is broken before it goes again while I have the chance to
    > run some diagnositcs****

    I have my doubts as to whether any executive would understand a word of
    that <g>.

    > Long Story:
    >
    > I have a perplexing dilemma - yesterday upon returning home from work ad
    > my computer powered up as noisily as ever, however it did not post, or
    > boot. So I set about stripping her down to see if something had faulted
    > - took out all cards, usb connectors from mobo etc leaving only PSU, CPU
    > and a stick of ram - still no post beeps.

    Yes, but do you get the single beep just before boot? If not, you wouldn't
    hear POST anyways.

    How long did you wait for a boot? it sometimes takes 10 minutes for a
    flaky drive/controller/cable to be detected.

    Did you get *anything* on the screen? If you did, your best bet is the
    drive problem mentioned above.

    > Next took out all ram, tried a different PSU and nothing (oh all fans
    > still getting power btw). so ran with just the PSU and CPU and no beeps
    > - figured at this point either the mobo or cpu were gone, a bit miffed
    > as I only built this system ~ 3 yrs at this point I am broke (seriously
    > poor!) and my LCD backlight is going (another storey for another time)
    > so that is already going to cost me £80-100.

    Not necessary if you get something on the screen.

    > Tried again this morning before going to work and same stoy - nothing -
    > ~DEAD!
    >
    > Came in from work an hour ago, kicked the box, the south bridge chip fan
    > came off (it's a replacement after the original failed and I installed a
    > new one about 2/3 months ago), pluged her in and I got warning beeps as
    > no mem, graphics card etc installed. At present I have her running and
    > am backing up like a demon but the first startup to check her out
    > resulted in a machine code error. I didn't have time to note the details
    > just the BSOD.
    >
    > I imagine I'm still fecked, and am 90% sure it's the mobo (I'll try to
    > get a swappable replacement from ebay so I can keep my RAM, CPU etc if
    > it is) but is there any way to be sure it's not the CPU, now that I have
    > her running (software diagnostics etc). I know the best way is via a
    > test system but I don't have a compatible board/mobo available so that's
    > out.

    If it *was* the motherboard, you wouldn't get *anything* on the screen or
    a POST code.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, May 23, 2009

  3. Marful

    Marful Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Marful" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Running Windows XP
    >> ASUS A8N5X MOBO
    >> Athlon 3700
    >> 1GB DDR SDRAM PC400 (2x 512MB Corsair value)
    >> 2x IDE HDD 80GB Maxtor
    >> 1x FDD
    >> 1x DVD
    >> 1x DVD-RW
    >> 1x Gigabte PCIE Graphics card
    >> 1x backup 56K modem (never used)
    >>

    >> I have a perplexing dilemma - yesterday upon returning home from work ad
    >> my computer powered up as noisily as ever, however it did not post, or
    >> boot. So I set about stripping her down to see if something had faulted
    >> - took out all cards, usb connectors from mobo etc leaving only PSU, CPU
    >> and a stick of ram - still no post beeps.
    >>

    > Yes, but do you get the single beep just before boot? If not, you wouldn't
    > hear POST anyways.

    At that point I waasn't getting the single beep, no signal to the monitor -
    all fans were gettting power and I could open the cd drawers but it
    definitely wasn't going into POST.

    > How long did you wait for a boot? it sometimes takes 10 minutes for a
    > flaky drive/controller/cable to be detected.

    After a couple of quick resets I went away and left The first couple of
    times I went away for 15 minutes and nothing.

    > Did you get *anything* on the screen? If you did, your best bet is the
    > drive problem mentioned above.

    Nothing on the screen- pretty sure it's mobo/cpu

    > If it *was* the motherboard, you wouldn't get *anything* on the screen or
    > a POST code.

    That's what I did have - as I said it has done a lazarus but last night I
    noticed my sound is gone (onboard audio) no sound control in the taskbar and
    when I went to the control panel I got freezes and had to hit the manual
    reset. I got a couple more BSOD's so left it off overnight.

    She's back on now - still no sound but all is backed up so am happy enough
    that I haven't lost anything - when I booted today I got an error report
    dialogue: ' windows has recovered from a serious error' the signiture
    contained:
    BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 80546E70 BCP3 : B2000000

    BCP4 : 00070F0F OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

    I'm pretty sure that it's the mobo, can't see another a8n5x anywhere but
    there are a couple of a8-SLI's on ebay which is practically the same
    board anyway so am going to stump up for one while I still have my own
    internet access.

    Thanks for the help,

    Marf.

    Marful, May 23, 2009
  4. Marful

    chuckcar Guest

    "Marful" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "Marful" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Running Windows XP
    >>> ASUS A8N5X MOBO
    >>> Athlon 3700
    >>> 1GB DDR SDRAM PC400 (2x 512MB Corsair value)
    >>> 2x IDE HDD 80GB Maxtor
    >>> 1x FDD
    >>> 1x DVD
    >>> 1x DVD-RW
    >>> 1x Gigabte PCIE Graphics card
    >>> 1x backup 56K modem (never used)
    >>>

    >>> I have a perplexing dilemma - yesterday upon returning home from work
    >>> ad my computer powered up as noisily as ever, however it did not
    >>> post, or boot. So I set about stripping her down to see if something
    >>> had faulted - took out all cards, usb connectors from mobo etc leaving
    >>> only PSU, CPU and a stick of ram - still no post beeps.
    >>>

    >> Yes, but do you get the single beep just before boot? If not, you
    >> wouldn't hear POST anyways.

    > At that point I waasn't getting the single beep, no signal to the
    > monitor - all fans were gettting power and I could open the cd drawers
    > but it definitely wasn't going into POST.
    >

    >> How long did you wait for a boot? it sometimes takes 10 minutes for a
    >> flaky drive/controller/cable to be detected.

    > After a couple of quick resets I went away and left The first couple of
    > times I went away for 15 minutes and nothing.
    >
    >> Did you get *anything* on the screen? If you did, your best bet is the
    >> drive problem mentioned above.

    > Nothing on the screen- pretty sure it's mobo/cpu
    >>

    >> If it *was* the motherboard, you wouldn't get *anything* on the screen
    >> or a POST code.
    >>

    > That's what I did have - as I said it has done a lazarus but last night
    > I noticed my sound is gone (onboard audio) no sound control in the
    > taskbar and when I went to the control panel I got freezes and had to
    > hit the manual reset. I got a couple more BSOD's so left it off
    > overnight.
    >
    > She's back on now - still no sound but all is backed up so am happy
    > enough that I haven't lost anything - when I booted today I got an error
    > report dialogue: ' windows has recovered from a serious error' the
    > signiture contained:
    > BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 80546E70 BCP3 : B2000000
    >
    > BCP4 : 00070F0F OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1
    >
    > I'm pretty sure that it's the mobo, can't see another a8n5x anywhere but
    > there are a couple of a8-SLI's on ebay which is practically the same
    > board anyway so am going to stump up for one while I still have my own
    > internet access.
    >
    > Thanks for the help,

    Try going into the BIOS and disabling the onboard sound card. You should
    be able to pick up a sound car for $15-30 depending on where you go and
    how much the salesman tries to "upgrade" you for. A word of note, anything
    beyond a 16 bit sound card does you no good for anything but the very
    latest games.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, May 23, 2009
  5. Marful

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >Try going into the BIOS and disabling the onboard sound card. You should
    >be able to pick up a sound car for $15-30 depending on where you go and
    >how much the salesman tries to "upgrade" you for. A word of note, anything
    >beyond a 16 bit sound card does you no good for anything but the very
    >latest games.

    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    Chucktard, Chuckturd, Idiot, Clueless, Stupid and many more names this
    persons is called as time goes on. He makes no friends and alienates
    all he comes in contact with.

    He will give wrong information, stick to it to his last breath, then
    change his stance to the proper solution when it appears - taking
    credit for it as well.

    This person has no self pity and will steal others advice as his own.
    It's quite obvious when it happens.

    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ) always has to appear right or correct
    and those long threads you see involving him is a "who can last the
    longest" or just the fact that he has to be right no matter how wrong
    he is. and I swear, last post appears important as well, an awful
    combination.

    This person will give advice that can cause you to lose your data,
    lose your computer (bad bios info) or just flat screw you.

    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ) running Win98, a person who has never
    used a NT OS yet feels quite comfortable giving advice he has never
    used himself.

    This group likes the fact it's able to help others, (setq (chuck nil)
    car(chuck) ) really doesn't care about the user, just how he comes
    across (and that's always him being seen as right)

    But (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ) anytime you come up with some of
    your bogus advice, I will call you on it.

    Seriously if you receive advice from (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ),
    google the information first to see if it's even in the ball park.

    Pennywise.
    --

    Unusual and awesome view of Saturn
    http://tinyurl.com/r9fqxb

    , May 23, 2009
  6. Marful

    elaich Guest

    wrote in news:54bg15pfnifcdg0qnacivsfhjn5lsusa0t@
    4ax.com:

    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    > Chucktard, Chuckturd, Idiot, Clueless, Stupid and many more names this
    > persons is called as time goes on. He makes no friends and alienates
    > all he comes in contact with.

    Well, it's taken a long time, as you used to be a good contributor to this
    group, but now you've just become annoying.

    PLONK

    elaich, May 23, 2009
  7. Marful

    Tony Guest

    Re: Help please! Like Lazarus my PC has risen from the dead, but how andwill it last?

    You forget Chuck is also a penny-pincher, the cheapskate's cheapskate. He hangs
    out in the alt.free.newsservers newsgroup always looking for a free handout.
    He's like one of those stupid fish nibbling on a worm on a hook only to get
    snagged in the end every time. He also blames everything on Fred from the
    Netherlands.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city