Help please for Compaq XP home edition

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Diana, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. Diana

    Diana Guest

    Hi

    I am hoping someone here can be of help to me.

    I do virus scans from EZTrust AV by Roadrunner my ISP at 3:00 A.M. every
    day. My PC is clean and has not showed any virus's. I have also yesterday
    and today used House Call Scan and Trendco Scan and both say I have no
    virus's

    My problem is that I have had several complaints from people that I email
    that they are receiving as high as 80 emails from a single email to them and
    I can't figure out why.

    I also have another friend who said he can open all attachments from others
    but real recent my attachments won't open for him.

    I have a Compaq XP home edition and I use IE6 and Outlook Express 6

    I hope one of you can shed some light on this for me as my AV scans all
    outgoing and incoming mail and I never receive any virus notification from
    there.

    Thanks a million.
    Diana

    Diana, Jan 16, 2007

  2. Diana

    Keith Guest

    In article <45ac6c3e$0$27093$>,
    "Diana" <> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I am hoping someone here can be of help to me.
    >
    > I do virus scans from EZTrust AV by Roadrunner my ISP at 3:00 A.M. every
    > day. My PC is clean and has not showed any virus's. I have also yesterday
    > and today used House Call Scan and Trendco Scan and both say I have no
    > virus's
    >
    > My problem is that I have had several complaints from people that I email
    > that they are receiving as high as 80 emails from a single email to them and
    > I can't figure out why.
    >
    > I also have another friend who said he can open all attachments from others
    > but real recent my attachments won't open for him.
    >
    > I have a Compaq XP home edition and I use IE6 and Outlook Express 6
    >
    > I hope one of you can shed some light on this for me as my AV scans all
    > outgoing and incoming mail and I never receive any virus notification from
    > there.
    >
    > Thanks a million.
    > Diana

    Have your friends send you the entire messages with headers. It is
    possible someone has hijacked your email address and is sending out spam
    using your email address. You need to look at the headers of the email
    to see if they are coming from your Internet IP address.

    Keith, Jan 16, 2007

  3. Diana

    Elipsis Guest

    In news:,
    Keith <> typed:
    > In article <45ac6c3e$0$27093$>,
    > "Diana" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I am hoping someone here can be of help to me.
    >>
    >> I do virus scans from EZTrust AV by Roadrunner my ISP at 3:00 A.M.
    >> every day. My PC is clean and has not showed any virus's. I have
    >> also yesterday and today used House Call Scan and Trendco Scan and
    >> both say I have no virus's
    >>
    >> My problem is that I have had several complaints from people that I
    >> email that they are receiving as high as 80 emails from a single
    >> email to them and I can't figure out why.
    >>
    >> I also have another friend who said he can open all attachments from
    >> others but real recent my attachments won't open for him.
    >>
    >> I have a Compaq XP home edition and I use IE6 and Outlook Express 6
    >>
    >> I hope one of you can shed some light on this for me as my AV scans
    >> all outgoing and incoming mail and I never receive any virus
    >> notification from there.
    >>
    >> Thanks a million.
    >> Diana

    > Have your friends send you the entire messages with headers. It is
    > possible someone has hijacked your email address and is sending out
    > spam using your email address. You need to look at the headers of the
    > email to see if they are coming from your Internet IP address.

    And if it's a trojan (for example) that her virus scanners have not
    detected?

    Elipsis, Jan 16, 2007
  4. Diana

    Guest

    "Diana" <> wrote:

    >I do virus scans from EZTrust AV by Roadrunner my ISP at 3:00 A.M. every
    >day. My PC is clean and has not showed any virus's. I have also yesterday
    >and today used House Call Scan and Trendco Scan and both say I have no
    >virus's

    >My problem is that I have had several complaints from people that I email
    >that they are receiving as high as 80 emails from a single email to them and
    >I can't figure out why.

    Your scanning for virus's, most likely not the problem.

    Use Spybot
    http://www.spybot.info/

    And AD-Aware
    www.adawareresource.com

    --
    Party All The Time
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=j66aZ3WJWCA

    , Jan 16, 2007
  5. Diana

    Diana Guest

    "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > In article <45ac6c3e$0$27093$>,
    > "Diana" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I am hoping someone here can be of help to me.
    >>
    >> I do virus scans from EZTrust AV by Roadrunner my ISP at 3:00 A.M. every
    >> day. My PC is clean and has not showed any virus's. I have also yesterday
    >> and today used House Call Scan and Trendco Scan and both say I have no
    >> virus's
    >>
    >> My problem is that I have had several complaints from people that I email
    >> that they are receiving as high as 80 emails from a single email to them
    >> and
    >> I can't figure out why.
    >>
    >> I also have another friend who said he can open all attachments from
    >> others
    >> but real recent my attachments won't open for him.
    >>
    >> I have a Compaq XP home edition and I use IE6 and Outlook Express 6
    >>
    >> I hope one of you can shed some light on this for me as my AV scans all
    >> outgoing and incoming mail and I never receive any virus notification
    >> from
    >> there.
    >>
    >> Thanks a million.
    >> Diana

    > Have your friends send you the entire messages with headers. It is
    > possible someone has hijacked your email address and is sending out spam
    > using your email address. You need to look at the headers of the email
    > to see if they are coming from your Internet IP address.

    Thank you Keith. I will so that. I hope it works . I appreciate your help.

    Diana, Jan 16, 2007
  6. Diana

    Diana Guest

    "Elipsis" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > Keith <> typed:
    >> In article <45ac6c3e$0$27093$>,
    >> "Diana" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I am hoping someone here can be of help to me.
    >>>
    >>> I do virus scans from EZTrust AV by Roadrunner my ISP at 3:00 A.M.
    >>> every day. My PC is clean and has not showed any virus's. I have
    >>> also yesterday and today used House Call Scan and Trendco Scan and
    >>> both say I have no virus's
    >>>
    >>> My problem is that I have had several complaints from people that I
    >>> email that they are receiving as high as 80 emails from a single
    >>> email to them and I can't figure out why.
    >>>
    >>> I also have another friend who said he can open all attachments from
    >>> others but real recent my attachments won't open for him.
    >>>
    >>> I have a Compaq XP home edition and I use IE6 and Outlook Express 6
    >>>
    >>> I hope one of you can shed some light on this for me as my AV scans
    >>> all outgoing and incoming mail and I never receive any virus
    >>> notification from there.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a million.
    >>> Diana

    >> Have your friends send you the entire messages with headers. It is
    >> possible someone has hijacked your email address and is sending out
    >> spam using your email address. You need to look at the headers of the
    >> email to see if they are coming from your Internet IP address.

    > And if it's a trojan (for example) that her virus scanners have not
    > detected?

    I tried Trendco, Nortons, Roadrunners EZtrust that is on my machine and
    House Call. All said I was clean. How can I find out if I do have a Trojan?

    Thanks for your help too. I do appreciate it.

    Diana, Jan 16, 2007
  7. Diana

    Diana Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Diana" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I do virus scans from EZTrust AV by Roadrunner my ISP at 3:00 A.M. every
    >>day. My PC is clean and has not showed any virus's. I have also yesterday
    >>and today used House Call Scan and Trendco Scan and both say I have no
    >>virus's

    >>My problem is that I have had several complaints from people that I email
    >>that they are receiving as high as 80 emails from a single email to them
    >>and
    >>I can't figure out why.

    > Your scanning for virus's, most likely not the problem.
    >
    > Use Spybot
    > http://www.spybot.info/
    >
    > And AD-Aware
    > www.adawareresource.com
    >

    > --
    > Party All The Time
    > http://youtube.com/watch?v=j66aZ3WJWCA

    I did a test that my Computer has called Pest control and it said something
    about my asteriskkey being hijacked or something so I did what it told me to
    do and deleted it. Then I ran a scan for the adware and it found a bunch of
    cookies so I quarantined them as they would not delete and thought I lost my
    computer as I could not get it back on then I finally did after a third try
    after I disconnected the Roadrunner modem for a couple minutes.

    Thanks for your help. I hope I got that taken care of and will try all
    things each of you have suggested. I really appreciate your help.

    Diana, Jan 16, 2007
  8. Diana

    Diana Guest

    "Cub" <> wrote in message

    > "Keith" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <45ac6c3e$0$27093$>,
    >> "Diana" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I am hoping someone here can be of help to me.
    >>>
    >>> I do virus scans from EZTrust AV by Roadrunner my ISP at 3:00 A.M. every
    >>> day. My PC is clean and has not showed any virus's. I have also
    >>> yesterday
    >>> and today used House Call Scan and Trendco Scan and both say I have no
    >>> virus's
    >>>
    >>> My problem is that I have had several complaints from people that I
    >>> email
    >>> that they are receiving as high as 80 emails from a single email to them
    >>> and
    >>> I can't figure out why.
    >>>
    >>> I also have another friend who said he can open all attachments from
    >>> others
    >>> but real recent my attachments won't open for him.
    >>>
    >>> I have a Compaq XP home edition and I use IE6 and Outlook Express 6
    >>>
    >>> I hope one of you can shed some light on this for me as my AV scans all
    >>> outgoing and incoming mail and I never receive any virus notification
    >>> from
    >>> there.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a million.
    >>> Diana

    >> Have your friends send you the entire messages with headers. It is
    >> possible someone has hijacked your email address and is sending out spam
    >> using your email address. You need to look at the headers of the email
    >> to see if they are coming from your Internet IP address.

    > It is not clear if the 80 emails are all copies of the original or if the
    > recipient is getting 1 + 79 clear spam messages

    I sent just an email to the one sister and asked what my nieces and nephew
    like in the way of jokes and she is the one that got the 74 emails of the
    same thing.

    Thanks for any and all of your help. It is very much appreciated. What can I
    do about clear spam? I know what spam is but what is clear spam?

    Thanks

    Diana, Jan 16, 2007
  9. Diana

    Elipsis Guest

    In news:45ac8e23$0$5738$,
    Diana <> typed:

    "Elipsis" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:,
    >> Keith <> typed:

    >>> Have your friends send you the entire messages with headers. It is
    >>> possible someone has hijacked your email address and is sending out
    >>> spam using your email address. You need to look at the headers of
    >>> the email to see if they are coming from your Internet IP address.

    >> And if it's a trojan (for example) that her virus scanners have not
    >> detected?

    From a later post, it seems like you have found the problem and resolved it.
    It is common to use a suite of tools to deal with malware. Use your virus
    scanner, and Spybot and Adaware. Regularly update them, and you have a
    reasonable chance of catching the bugs before they get your computer.

    Elipsis, Jan 16, 2007
  10. Diana

    sdlomi2 Guest

    "Diana" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> "Diana" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I do virus scans from EZTrust AV by Roadrunner my ISP at 3:00 A.M. every
    >>>day. My PC is clean and has not showed any virus's. I have also yesterday
    >>>and today used House Call Scan and Trendco Scan and both say I have no
    >>>virus's

    >>>My problem is that I have had several complaints from people that I email
    >>>that they are receiving as high as 80 emails from a single email to them
    >>>and
    >>>I can't figure out why.

    >> Your scanning for virus's, most likely not the problem.
    >>
    >> Use Spybot
    >> http://www.spybot.info/
    >>
    >> And AD-Aware
    >> www.adawareresource.com
    >>

    >> --
    >> Party All The Time
    >> http://youtube.com/watch?v=j66aZ3WJWCA

    > I did a test that my Computer has called Pest control and it said
    > something about my asteriskkey being hijacked or something so I did what
    > it told me to do and deleted it. Then I ran a scan for the adware and it
    > found a bunch of cookies so I quarantined them as they would not delete
    > and thought I lost my computer as I could not get it back on then I
    > finally did after a third try after I disconnected the Roadrunner modem
    > for a couple minutes.
    >
    > Thanks for your help. I hope I got that taken care of and will try all
    > things each of you have suggested. I really appreciate your help.

    D, you really may profit by using, as suggested by other(s), Adaware and
    Spybot, in conjunction, and along with a good A-virus. I'd be awfully
    careful about using many others, as some (I'll not mention their names, as
    you'd actually be at risk just visiting their sites) can actually infect you
    with some nasty malwares. Luck to you, s

    sdlomi2, Jan 16, 2007
  11. Diana

    Diana Guest

    "Elipsis" <> wrote in message
    > In news:45ac8e23$0$5738$,
    > Diana <> typed:
    >>

    >> I tried Trendco, Nortons, Roadrunners EZtrust that is on my machine
    >> and House Call. All said I was clean. How can I find out if I do have
    >> a Trojan?
    >> Thanks for your help too. I do appreciate it.

    > "Elipsis" <> wrote in message
    >>> In news:,
    >>> Keith <> typed:

    >>> And if it's a trojan (for example) that her virus scanners have not
    >>> detected?

    > From a later post, it seems like you have found the problem and resolved
    > it. It is common to use a suite of tools to deal with malware. Use your
    > virus scanner, and Spybot and Adaware. Regularly update them, and you have
    > a reasonable chance of catching the bugs before they get your computer.

    Thanks for the help. I always try to keep a clean PC so no one will lose
    theirs from my email.

    I am hoping what I did worked. :) Thanks again

    Diana, Jan 16, 2007
  12. Diana

    Diana Guest

    "sdlomi2" <> wrote in message

    > "Diana" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> Your scanning for virus's, most likely not the problem.
    >>>
    >>> Use Spybot
    >>> http://www.spybot.info/
    >>>
    >>> And AD-Aware
    >>> www.adawareresource.com
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Party All The Time
    >>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=j66aZ3WJWCA

    >> I did a test that my Computer has called Pest control and it said
    >> something about my asteriskkey being hijacked or something so I did what
    >> it told me to do and deleted it. Then I ran a scan for the adware and it
    >> found a bunch of cookies so I quarantined them as they would not delete
    >> and thought I lost my computer as I could not get it back on then I
    >> finally did after a third try after I disconnected the Roadrunner modem
    >> for a couple minutes.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help. I hope I got that taken care of and will try all
    >> things each of you have suggested. I really appreciate your help.
    >>

    > D, you really may profit by using, as suggested by other(s), Adaware
    > and Spybot, in conjunction, and along with a good A-virus. I'd be awfully
    > careful about using many others, as some (I'll not mention their names, as
    > you'd actually be at risk just visiting their sites) can actually infect
    > you with some nasty malwares. Luck to you, s

    I use to have spybot and the adaware but they only told me if I had spyware
    but could never delete them. I will try again though because it will be
    worth it to run completely clean. Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it

    Diana, Jan 16, 2007
  13. Diana

    Cub Guest

    Cub, Jan 17, 2007