    rjsmith6
    rjsmith63's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1375
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=181908098

    rjsmith63, Jun 13, 2005

  2. rjsmith63

    Ron Martell Guest

    rjsmith63 <> wrote:

    >I started a virus scan which froze half way into the scan. I then tried
    >to reboot and it wouldnt even do a POST, no beeps at all. I have tried
    >to use the A drive to replace any needed files from a windows XP boot
    >disk which wont work either, as it wont recognize the A drive and when
    >I try to use the reset button it just makes the C drive go nuts, noting
    >else is happening except the hard drive and fan are going. Can someone
    >help me here ?
    >I need my pc for upcomming exam.
    >I am using someone elses computer to post here and can retreive my
    >email which is
    >Thank you in advance.
    >Robert

    If your computer will not even start the Power On Self Test (POST) and
    there are no beeps at all then there is something seriously wrong with
    the basic hardware (power supply, motherboard, CPU). Even with no RAM
    or video card the computer should at least start the POST and get far
    enough to produce some beeps indicating the failures.

    Try shutting the computer *completely* off by unplugging the power
    coard and leaving it unplugged for several hours. Then reconnect it
    and try again. With the ATX type motherboards even when the computer
    is shut down there is still some standby power being supplied to the
    motherboard etc.

    If that doesn't resolve the problem then you need to take the machine
    to a service technician.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --