    save me someone before
    the wife kills me for loosing her crufts photos. ;0) cheers dave.

    , Apr 2, 2007

  2. stuseven Guest

    + this sounds suspicious... like maybe you were using a trial
    version
    of some photo program... and when the limit expired, the program
    turned off your free galleries ? I wouldnt buy any program which did
    that to my files(!).

    stuseven, Apr 2, 2007

  3. cjcampbell Guest

    On Apr 2, 12:13 pm, wrote:
    > i upload from my camea 100's of pictures on to my pc and they were
    > fine for about two months now they all except for a small few have
    > had
    > the picture replaced by a psd logo and will not display ? saying
    > unknown file format i have no idea why or how this has happened the
    > on the file properties the info bytes still show as being there, the
    > summary info is blank, i dont know much about computers can please
    > save me someone before
    > the wife kills me for loosing her crufts photos. ;0) cheers dave.

    They are probably still there. The files just got renamed
    accidentally. Were these JPG files or raw camera files? If you don't
    know they were probably JPG types. So, what you do, you rename the
    file back to a JPG format. If the file now calls itself DSC3004.PSD
    you rename it to DSC3004.JPG.

    cjcampbell, Apr 2, 2007
  4. Ed Mullikin Guest

    That happened to me quite some time ago and the files were not lost; just
    somehow renamed as "cjcampbell" said. BUT, if you do not know much about
    computers I would advise getting someone to help you in this problem.

    Ed Mullikin, Apr 2, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Apr 2, 9:00 pm, "cjcampbell" <>
    wrote:
    > On Apr 2, 12:13 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > i upload from my camea 100's of pictures on to my pc and they were
    > > fine for about two months now they all except for a small few have
    > > had
    > > the picture replaced by a psd logo and will not display ? saying
    > > unknown file format i have no idea why or how this has happened the
    > > on the file properties the info bytes still show as being there, the
    > > summary info is blank, i dont know much about computers can please
    > > save me someone before
    > > the wife kills me for loosing her crufts photos. ;0) cheers dave.

    > They are probably still there. The files just got renamed
    > accidentally. Were these JPG files or raw camera files? If you don't
    > know they were probably JPG types. So, what you do, you rename the
    > file back to a JPG format. If the file now calls itself DSC3004.PSD
    > you rename it to DSC3004.JPG.

    the file has jpeg at the end of its name i have tryed to open adobe,
    windows, infanview , paint,
    cannonzoom and many more, i have scaned the files and there is no
    virus,, if any one can help i can attach one to an email for someone
    to see if they can find a way
    to view them? my email address is or contact me
    at www.myspace.com/davidgard all help is very welcome and much needed,
    cheers.

    , Apr 2, 2007
  6. Guest

    dave_gardathotmaildotcom

    , Apr 2, 2007
  7. Axel Kurth Guest

    wrote:
    > On Apr 2, 9:00 pm, "cjcampbell" <>
    > wrote:
    >> On Apr 2, 12:13 pm, wrote:
    >>
    >>> i upload from my camea 100's of pictures on to my pc and they were
    >>> fine for about two months now they all except for a small few have
    >>> had
    >>> the picture replaced by a psd logo and will not display ? saying
    >>> unknown file format i have no idea why or how this has happened the
    >>> on the file properties the info bytes still show as being there, the
    >>> summary info is blank, i dont know much about computers can please
    >>> save me someone before
    >>> the wife kills me for loosing her crufts photos. ;0) cheers dave.

    >> They are probably still there. The files just got renamed
    >> accidentally. Were these JPG files or raw camera files? If you don't
    >> know they were probably JPG types. So, what you do, you rename the
    >> file back to a JPG format. If the file now calls itself DSC3004.PSD
    >> you rename it to DSC3004.JPG.

    > the file has jpeg at the end of its name i have tryed to open adobe,
    > windows, infanview , paint,
    > cannonzoom and many more, i have scaned the files and there is no
    > virus,, if any one can help i can attach one to an email for someone
    > to see if they can find a way
    > to view them? my email address is or contact me
    > at www.myspace.com/davidgard all help is very welcome and much needed,
    > cheers.

    PSD is Adobe Photo Shop file extension, do you have Photoshop set as
    your standard viewer for JPG? if so, the PSD logo will show in front of
    your file name.
    Try to open with Photoshop
    Axel

    Axel Kurth, Apr 2, 2007
  8. cgiorgio Guest

    <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > i upload from my camea 100's of pictures on to my pc and they were
    > fine for about two months now they all except for a small few have
    > had
    > the picture replaced by a psd logo and will not display ? saying
    > unknown file format i have no idea why or how this has happened the
    > on the file properties the info bytes still show as being there, the
    > summary info is blank, i dont know much about computers can please
    > save me someone before
    > the wife kills me for loosing her crufts photos. ;0) cheers dave.

    Did you try to open the files just by clicking the file name in explorer or
    did you try to open the files using the file - open menu item in a viewer
    like IrfanView?

    To see file extensions known to windows you must modify the standard
    settings for Windows explorer. After going to the directory that contains
    the files choose tools - folder options - view and uncheck the box hide
    extensions for known file types. Good idea to apply that to all folders.

    In the Explorer main menu choose view - details. Then you should see the
    filenames with extension.

    I have never seen a camera that records files with a .jpeg extension.
    Usually you have something like XXX00001.jpg as the file name for a
    picture. While .psd is the extension for files stored with Adobe Photoshop
    including SE, that is a totally different format requiring multiple file
    size of a JPEG compressed file.

    If the files are still there and have a reasonable size (for a 5 MP camera
    between abt. 800 K and 1,900 K or larger for a higher resolution camera)
    they should be readable.

    If you have a CD or DVD burner, burn the .jpg image files on a CD or DVD
    (its a good idea anyway to have a backup). Try on another PC if you can see
    them. If that is the case, your Windows installation has most likely been
    corrupted.

    If you have recently installed new software, it could have replaced some
    vital Windows system file that is involved in handling .jpg files - all
    graphics programs use at least some Windows libraries. In that case it could
    help to restore those windows system files. You can do that by re-
    installing Windows in dynamic update mode over the existing installation
    with the penalty that you will loose most windows updates you have had
    installed. (if you have a broadband connection and a flat rate just run
    Windows automatic update overnight to get them back).

    cgiorgio, Apr 2, 2007
  9. Jim Guest

    On 2007-04-02 15:13:57 -0400, said:

    > i upload from my camea 100's of pictures on to my pc and they were
    > fine for about two months now they all except for a small few have
    > had
    > the picture replaced by a psd logo and will not display ? saying
    > unknown file format i have no idea why or how this has happened the
    > on the file properties the info bytes still show as being there, the
    > summary info is blank, i dont know much about computers can please
    > save me someone before
    > the wife kills me for loosing her crufts photos. ;0) cheers dave.

    psd = PhotoShop. Had a trial copy which has expired? Time to pony up
    and buy the software. PhotoShop Elements is a fine program and costs
    less than a 100 USD.
    --
    Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo

    Jim, Apr 3, 2007
  10. Martin Brown Guest

    On Apr 2, 10:38 pm, Axel Kurth <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Apr 2, 9:00 pm, "cjcampbell" <>
    > > wrote:

    Unknown file format is potentially very bad news if all of the imaging
    applications agree on giving this message. It means there isn't a
    recognisable image header or thumbnail at the start of the file. If
    you send me a pair of consecutive damaged images privately I will look
    to see if there is anything left in them that can be salvaged.

    NB it is worth doing a quick test to see if the lost images are easily
    compressed by PKZIP. If they are compressible by more than about 5%
    then all your JPEG image data in the file has been destroyed.

    First thing to do is backup and verify all the good images that you
    still have before anything else bad happens. If you still have the
    original media that the images came from then an image recovery
    program might be able to get some of the files lost on the PC back
    from the unused space on the removable media.

    > >> They are probably still there. The files just got renamed
    > >> accidentally. Were these JPG files or raw camera files? If you don't
    > >> know they were probably JPG types. So, what you do, you rename the
    > >> file back to a JPG format. If the file now calls itself DSC3004.PSD
    > >> you rename it to DSC3004.JPG.

    > > the file has jpeg at the end of its name i have tryed to open adobe,
    > > windows, infanview , paint,
    > > cannonzoom and many more, i have scaned the files and there is no
    > > virus,, if any one can help i can attach one to an email for someone
    > > to see if they can find a way
    > > to view them? my email address is or contact me
    > > atwww.myspace.com/davidgardall help is very welcome and much needed,
    > > cheers.

    > PSD is Adobe Photo Shop file extension, do you have Photoshop set as
    > your standard viewer for JPG? if so, the PSD logo will show in front of
    > your file name.
    > Try to open with Photoshop

    This is actually very bad advice. Photoshop is extremely intolerant of
    damaged JPEG streams and will give up at the first trivial error
    encountered and it issues terse error messages that only make sense to
    JPEG wizards.

    Web browsers and applications like IrfanView that use the IJG codec
    are a lot more forgiving of broken JPEG streams and will make an
    attempt to decode many damaged files. The results can be surreal with
    multiple horizontal stripes of laterally shifted image and wierd jumps
    in colours or luminance.

    I have to say that it is a really bad sign if some of the image
    thumbnails in directories have gone. The most common data corruption
    usually results in thumbnails that look fine but with an error in the
    main image that prevents it from decoding successfully. You should
    consider the possibility of virus action or imminent hard disk failure
    and take careful backups of any other precious data as a matter of
    urgency.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    (my strange looking reply to address is valid)

    Martin Brown, Apr 3, 2007
  11. Ken Davey Guest

    "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Apr 2, 10:38 pm, Axel Kurth <> wrote:
    >> wrote:

    AFTER backing up the files do the scan/repair disc thing - see if that
    changes anything.
    click - my computer.
    Right click C drive (or whatever drive the files are on)
    Click properties/tools/check now.
    Check the "automatically fix errors"
    At this point you will probably see a message that basically tells you to
    re-start your computer.
    Do that and wait patiently for the results.
    Good luck.
    ..--
    Regards.
    Ken.