Help - Phone for Orange livebox and BT line

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by leenowell@yahoo.co.uk, Feb 7, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    The folks on uk.telecom thought this would be the best group to post
    this to....

    I have just moved to Orange and have paid the extra £5 to upgrade to
    8mb and their VOIP phone service. The trouble is that they can't
    give
    me a phone number with my STD code so I have an 0845 number. Since
    most telecom companies charge a fortune for calling 0845 numbers, I
    am
    thinking of using my Orange number for outgoing only and take
    incoming
    calls on my standard BT line.

    If I understand the livebox correctly, it performs the VOIP client
    functionality (all I need to do is plug a normal phone into the box)
    so therefore I can't use a standard VOIP phone in this configuration.
    Is this correct?

    Does this mean that my only option is to get a 2 line phone? If so,
    are there any inexpensive digital cordless phones I can use? I have
    checked the posts here for 2 line DECT phones and the solutions seem
    very expensive.

    Any help gratefully appreciated.

    Thanks

    Lee.
    , Feb 7, 2007

  2. Jono Guest

    On 7 Feb, 09:26, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > The folks on uk.telecom thought this would be the best group to post
    > this to....
    >
    > I have just moved to Orange and have paid the extra £5 to upgrade to
    > 8mb and their VOIP phone service. The trouble is that they can't
    > give
    > me a phone number with my STD code so I have an 0845 number. Since
    > most telecom companies charge a fortune for calling 0845 numbers, I
    > am
    > thinking of using my Orange number for outgoing only and take
    > incoming
    > calls on my standard BT line.
    >
    > If I understand the livebox correctly, it performs the VOIP client
    > functionality (all I need to do is plug a normal phone into the box)
    > so therefore I can't use a standard VOIP phone in this configuration.
    > Is this correct?
    >
    > Does this mean that my only option is to get a 2 line phone? If so,
    > are there any inexpensive digital cordless phones I can use? I have
    > checked the posts here for 2 line DECT phones and the solutions seem
    > very expensive.
    >
    > Any help gratefully appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Lee.

    Do you get a SIP address with Orange? - along the lines of

    If so, you could obtain a geo number from somewhere like voiptalk and
    forward incoming calls to your Orange SIP address.

    (I think it's voiptalk that allow you to forward calls to any SIP
    address....)
    Jono, Feb 7, 2007

  3. Guest

    On 7 Feb, 12:54, "Jono" <> wrote:
    > On 7 Feb, 09:26, wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > The folks on uk.telecom thought this would be the best group to post
    > > this to....

    > > I have just moved to Orange and have paid the extra £5 to upgrade to
    > > 8mb and their VOIP phone service. The trouble is that they can't
    > > give
    > > me a phone number with my STD code so I have an 0845 number. Since
    > > most telecom companies charge a fortune for calling 0845 numbers, I
    > > am
    > > thinking of using my Orange number for outgoing only and take
    > > incoming
    > > calls on my standard BT line.

    > > If I understand the livebox correctly, it performs the VOIP client
    > > functionality (all I need to do is plug a normal phone into the box)
    > > so therefore I can't use a standard VOIP phone in this configuration.
    > > Is this correct?

    > > Does this mean that my only option is to get a 2 line phone? If so,
    > > are there any inexpensive digital cordless phones I can use? I have
    > > checked the posts here for 2 line DECT phones and the solutions seem
    > > very expensive.

    > > Any help gratefully appreciated.

    > > Thanks

    > > Lee.

    > Do you get a SIP address with Orange? - along the lines of
    >

    > If so, you could obtain a geo number from somewhere like voiptalk and
    > forward incoming calls to your Orange SIP address.
    >
    > (I think it's voiptalk that allow you to forward calls to any SIP
    > address....)- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for your reply.

    I don't believe I received a SIP unless there is a standard format
    and I just use my broadband username? If I got the number from
    voiptalk, would I have to pay for the forward? I know that Orange
    charge you per minute to forward calls to that line to another number.

    thanks

    Lee.
    , Feb 7, 2007
  4. Brian Guest

    On 2007-02-07, Jono <> wrote:

    > Do you get a SIP address with Orange? - along the lines of

    There are references about to the Livebox using H.323 rather than SIP.

    > If so, you could obtain a geo number from somewhere like voiptalk and
    > forward incoming calls to your Orange SIP address.
    >
    > (I think it's voiptalk that allow you to forward calls to any SIP
    > address....)

    Correct.

    Brian.
    Brian, Feb 7, 2007
  5. On 7 Feb 2007 01:26:02 -0800, wrote:

    >I have just moved to Orange and have paid the extra £5 to upgrade to
    >8mb and their VOIP phone service. The trouble is that they can't
    >give
    >me a phone number with my STD code so I have an 0845 number. Since
    >most telecom companies charge a fortune for calling 0845 numbers, I
    >am
    >thinking of using my Orange number for outgoing only and take
    >incoming
    >calls on my standard BT line.

    That's exactly what I do. You'll occasionally want to use the BT phone
    for outgoing calls because the internet phone can sound quite gritty
    at times. You might also find that a speakerphone doesn't always work
    very well. I assume this is something to do with the delay, because I
    can usually hear the other person perfectly but sometimes they don't
    seem to hear me until I switch the speaker off. If it's important to
    make a speakerphone call, you'll want to keep the BT phone for that.

    >If I understand the livebox correctly, it performs the VOIP client
    >functionality (all I need to do is plug a normal phone into the box)
    >so therefore I can't use a standard VOIP phone in this configuration.
    >Is this correct?

    Yes, you plug any standard BT-type phone into the livebox. The same
    kind of phone that you would plug into a wallbox. Corded or cordless,
    as you please.

    >Does this mean that my only option is to get a 2 line phone? If so,
    >are there any inexpensive digital cordless phones I can use? I have
    >checked the posts here for 2 line DECT phones and the solutions seem
    >very expensive.

    No, another option is simply to use two phones. They can then be used
    completely independently of each other.

    Rod.
    Roderick Stewart, Feb 7, 2007
  6. Brian Guest

    On 2007-02-07, <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The folks on uk.telecom thought this would be the best group to post
    > this to....
    >
    > I have just moved to Orange and have paid the extra £5 to upgrade to
    > 8mb and their VOIP phone service. The trouble is that they can't give
    > me a phone number with my STD code so I have an 0845 number. Since
    > most telecom companies charge a fortune for calling 0845 numbers, I am
    > thinking of using my Orange number for outgoing only and take incoming
    > calls on my standard BT line.

    I'd be inclined to be forceful with them and get them to change the
    allocated/chosen number. Maybe a code in your geographic area is not
    available but, unless that is important for you, surely they have codes
    for other areas?

    Thinking on: it's pathetic that a major telecoms concern cannot provide
    full coverage of the UK number range when much smaller VoIP companies
    can.

    > If I understand the livebox correctly, it performs the VOIP client
    > functionality (all I need to do is plug a normal phone into the box)
    > so therefore I can't use a standard VOIP phone in this configuration.
    > Is this correct?

    You wouldn't replace the normal phone with a VoIP phone/ATA. But a SIP
    ATA could solve your problem. There is a suitable one here:

    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PcTradeShop-Computer-Components

    Connect its line input/output and its ethernet port to the Livebox. Get
    a geographic number. Set up the ATA to accept calls on that number.

    Disadvantages: You pay 27 GBP and let Orange off the hook.
    Advantages: You can use VoIP providers other than Orange.

    > Does this mean that my only option is to get a 2 line phone? If so,
    > are there any inexpensive digital cordless phones I can use? I have
    > checked the posts here for 2 line DECT phones and the solutions seem
    > very expensive.

    No. Here is another option. There is a Livebox forum at

    www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk

    You want to be looking for '2-line switch'.

    Disadvantages: You pay about 25 GBP and let Orange off the hook.
    Advantages: Over the first option? None that I can see.

    Brian.
    Brian, Feb 7, 2007
  7. Guest

    On 7 Feb, 16:07, Brian <> wrote:
    > On 2007-02-07, <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > The folks on uk.telecom thought this would be the best group to post
    > > this to....

    > > I have just moved to Orange and have paid the extra £5 to upgrade to
    > > 8mb and their VOIP phone service. The trouble is that they can't give
    > > me a phone number with my STD code so I have an 0845 number. Since
    > > most telecom companies charge a fortune for calling 0845 numbers, I am
    > > thinking of using my Orange number for outgoing only and take incoming
    > > calls on my standard BT line.

    > I'd be inclined to be forceful with them and get them to change the
    > allocated/chosen number. Maybe a code in your geographic area is not
    > available but, unless that is important for you, surely they have codes
    > for other areas?
    >
    > Thinking on: it's pathetic that a major telecoms concern cannot provide
    > full coverage of the UK number range when much smaller VoIP companies
    > can.
    >
    > > If I understand the livebox correctly, it performs the VOIP client
    > > functionality (all I need to do is plug a normal phone into the box)
    > > so therefore I can't use a standard VOIP phone in this configuration.
    > > Is this correct?

    > You wouldn't replace the normal phone with a VoIP phone/ATA. But a SIP
    > ATA could solve your problem. There is a suitable one here:
    >
    > http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PcTradeShop-Computer-Components
    >
    > Connect its line input/output and its ethernet port to the Livebox. Get
    > a geographic number. Set up the ATA to accept calls on that number.
    >
    > Disadvantages: You pay 27 GBP and let Orange off the hook.
    > Advantages: You can use VoIP providers other than Orange.
    >
    > > Does this mean that my only option is to get a 2 line phone? If so,
    > > are there any inexpensive digital cordless phones I can use? I have
    > > checked the posts here for 2 line DECT phones and the solutions seem
    > > very expensive.

    > No. Here is another option. There is a Livebox forum at
    >
    > www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk
    >
    > You want to be looking for '2-line switch'.
    >
    > Disadvantages: You pay about 25 GBP and let Orange off the hook.
    > Advantages: Over the first option? None that I can see.
    >
    > Brian.

    To be honest, I don't know enough about this space to know whether the
    ebay item would work or not. The broadbandbuyer forum was great and
    seems like there are a couple of options but people are having
    difficulty getting it working correctly with a switch box.

    The second option was to use Dectsys phones with a base station as
    they apparently support 2 lines at about £200 for base station + 2
    handsets then £60 per handset afterwards.....
    , Feb 8, 2007
  8. Brian Guest

    On 2007-02-08, <> wrote:

    > On 7 Feb, 16:07, Brian <> wrote:

    [Snip]

    >> You wouldn't replace the normal phone with a VoIP phone/ATA. But a SIP
    >> ATA could solve your problem. There is a suitable one here:
    >>
    >> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PcTradeShop-Computer-Components
    >>
    >> Connect its line input/output and its ethernet port to the Livebox. Get
    >> a geographic number. Set up the ATA to accept calls on that number.
    >>
    >> Disadvantages: You pay 27 GBP and let Orange off the hook.
    >> Advantages: You can use VoIP providers other than Orange.

    [Another snip]

    > To be honest, I don't know enough about this space to know whether the
    > ebay item would work or not. The broadbandbuyer forum was great and
    > seems like there are a couple of options but people are having
    > difficulty getting it working correctly with a switch box.

    There is another forum at www.thinkbroadband.com but it may not add much
    to what you already know.

    The ATA off Ebay is intended to connect to the PSTN by pressing # on the
    telephone handset. I am informed that works. If that port is connected
    to the Livebox instead one would expect to be able to make outgoing
    calls. Receiving incoming calls to a geographic number should definitely
    work. If it didn't you would have grounds for returning the unit.

    In contrast to the so-called 'intelligent switch' the ATA is a more
    saleable item if you were not happy with it. Sourcing it from the UK
    should also mean quicker delivery.

    > The second option was to use Dectsys phones with a base station as
    > they apparently support 2 lines at about £200 for base station + 2
    > handsets then £60 per handset afterwards.....

    You are seeking a technical solution to a problem caused by Orange's
    lack of provision of a geographic number. 25 GBP or so to work round
    that may or may not be more tempting than tackling them over it.

    Brian.
    Brian, Feb 8, 2007
  9. Guest

    On 8 Feb, 19:18, Brian <> wrote:
    > On 2007-02-08, <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 7 Feb, 16:07, Brian <> wrote:

    > [Snip]
    >
    > >> You wouldn't replace the normal phone with a VoIP phone/ATA. But a SIP
    > >> ATA could solve your problem. There is a suitable one here:

    > >>http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PcTradeShop-Computer-Components

    > >> Connect its line input/output and its ethernet port to the Livebox. Get
    > >> a geographic number. Set up the ATA to accept calls on that number.

    > >> Disadvantages: You pay 27 GBP and let Orange off the hook.
    > >> Advantages: You can use VoIP providers other than Orange.

    > [Another snip]
    >
    > > To be honest, I don't know enough about this space to know whether the
    > > ebay item would work or not. The broadbandbuyer forum was great and
    > > seems like there are a couple of options but people are having
    > > difficulty getting it working correctly with a switch box.

    > There is another forum atwww.thinkbroadband.combut it may not add much
    > to what you already know.
    >
    > The ATA off Ebay is intended to connect to the PSTN by pressing # on the
    > telephone handset. I am informed that works. If that port is connected
    > to the Livebox instead one would expect to be able to make outgoing
    > calls. Receiving incoming calls to a geographic number should definitely
    > work. If it didn't you would have grounds for returning the unit.
    >
    > In contrast to the so-called 'intelligent switch' the ATA is a more
    > saleable item if you were not happy with it. Sourcing it from the UK
    > should also mean quicker delivery.
    >
    > > The second option was to use Dectsys phones with a base station as
    > > they apparently support 2 lines at about £200 for base station + 2
    > > handsets then £60 per handset afterwards.....

    > You are seeking a technical solution to a problem caused by Orange's
    > lack of provision of a geographic number. 25 GBP or so to work round
    > that may or may not be more tempting than tackling them over it.
    >
    > Brian.

    I have been banging my head against the Orange brick wall and all I
    get is "we will get the franchise in our area at some point and will
    change you over then". I haven't checked but ironically, I assume
    they will charge me 10p per minute to call my home number because it
    is an 0845 number!!! Customer service from them is poor
    , Feb 8, 2007
  10. Paul Kirk Guest

    You can change your Orange number 4 times in the member centre control panel
    for free.
    There is a list of UK dialing codes to choose from.
    Although your local code is not available now is would be better to be on
    another
    01 or 02 code for now.

    Paul Kirk, Feb 9, 2007
  11. Guest

    On 8 Feb, 19:18, Brian <> wrote:
    > On 2007-02-08, <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 7 Feb, 16:07, Brian <> wrote:

    > [Snip]
    >
    > >> You wouldn't replace the normal phone with a VoIP phone/ATA. But a SIP
    > >> ATA could solve your problem. There is a suitable one here:

    > >>http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PcTradeShop-Computer-Components

    > >> Connect its line input/output and its ethernet port to the Livebox. Get
    > >> a geographic number. Set up the ATA to accept calls on that number.

    > >> Disadvantages: You pay 27 GBP and let Orange off the hook.
    > >> Advantages: You can use VoIP providers other than Orange.

    > [Another snip]
    >
    > > To be honest, I don't know enough about this space to know whether the
    > > ebay item would work or not. The broadbandbuyer forum was great and
    > > seems like there are a couple of options but people are having
    > > difficulty getting it working correctly with a switch box.

    > There is another forum atwww.thinkbroadband.combut it may not add much
    > to what you already know.
    >
    > The ATA off Ebay is intended to connect to the PSTN by pressing # on the
    > telephone handset. I am informed that works. If that port is connected
    > to the Livebox instead one would expect to be able to make outgoing
    > calls. Receiving incoming calls to a geographic number should definitely
    > work. If it didn't you would have grounds for returning the unit.
    >
    > In contrast to the so-called 'intelligent switch' the ATA is a more
    > saleable item if you were not happy with it. Sourcing it from the UK
    > should also mean quicker delivery.
    >
    > > The second option was to use Dectsys phones with a base station as
    > > they apparently support 2 lines at about £200 for base station + 2
    > > handsets then £60 per handset afterwards.....

    > You are seeking a technical solution to a problem caused by Orange's
    > lack of provision of a geographic number. 25 GBP or so to work round
    > that may or may not be more tempting than tackling them over it.
    >
    > Brian.

    I have been banging my head against the Orange brick wall and all I
    get is "we will get the franchise in our area at some point and will
    change you over then". I haven't checked but ironically, I assume
    they will charge me 10p per minute to call my home number because it
    is an 0845 number!!! Customer service from them is poor
    , Feb 9, 2007
  12. PhilT Guest

    On Feb 8, 5:42 pm, wrote:

    > The second option was to use Dectsys phones with a base station as
    > they apparently support 2 lines at about £200 for base station + 2
    > handsets then £60 per handset afterwards.....

    BT Airway units on Ebay for less. Bit clunky but do have 2-line
    functionality for <£100

    Anyone tried http://www.discountphonesystems.co.uk/acatalog/
    Disty_Box.html
    about £90 for a 2-line base station ??