    change)
    Is this significant - I'm wondering if it got 'knocked' in transit.
    Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
    tarc, Dec 4, 2003

  2. tarc

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:16:13 +1300, "tarc"
    <> wrote:

    >Greetings - today I received a courier delivered PC. It powers up (using
    >WinXP Pro 1GB Ram) )goes approx 5 - 10 minutes then loses power
    >ompletely - dies- and is not able to go again even when switched at wall
    >for 10 -15 minutes. Did have time on last powerup to grab this info from the
    >BIOS CPU TEMP 52C
    > SYS TEMP 36C
    > CPU FAN SPEED 2636RPM
    > SYS FAN SPEED 0 RPM (doesn't
    >change)
    >Is this significant - I'm wondering if it got 'knocked' in transit.
    >Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

    CPU temp seems awfully high considering you're in the BIOS. The CPU
    Fan speed also seems a bit slow. Have you opened the case and checked
    everything looks okay and that the sys\case fan is plugged in (if it
    has one)?
    Dogg, Dec 4, 2003

  3. tarc

    Enkidu Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Greetings - today I received a courier delivered PC. It powers up (using
    >WinXP Pro 1GB Ram) )goes approx 5 - 10 minutes then loses power
    >ompletely - dies- and is not able to go again even when switched at wall
    >for 10 -15 minutes. Did have time on last powerup to grab this info from the
    >BIOS CPU TEMP 52C
    > SYS TEMP 36C
    > CPU FAN SPEED 2636RPM
    > SYS FAN SPEED 0 RPM (doesn't
    >change)
    >Is this significant - I'm wondering if it got 'knocked' in transit.
    >Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

    Check if the CPU fan is rotating. If it isn't check that it is plugged
    in.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Dec 4, 2003
  4. tarc

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dogg" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:16:13 +1300, "tarc"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Greetings - today I received a courier delivered PC. It powers up (using
    > >WinXP Pro 1GB Ram) )goes approx 5 - 10 minutes then loses power
    > >ompletely - dies- and is not able to go again even when switched at wall
    > >for 10 -15 minutes. Did have time on last powerup to grab this info from

    the
    > >BIOS CPU TEMP 52C
    > > SYS TEMP 36C
    > > CPU FAN SPEED 2636RPM
    > > SYS FAN SPEED 0 RPM

    (doesn't
    > >change)
    > >Is this significant - I'm wondering if it got 'knocked' in transit.
    > >Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

    > CPU temp seems awfully high considering you're in the BIOS. The CPU
    > Fan speed also seems a bit slow. Have you opened the case and checked
    > everything looks okay and that the sys\case fan is plugged in (if it
    > has one)?

    That's right start poking round inside it yourself and kiss your warranty
    goodbye.

    Tarc should ring the supplier and explain what's happening. It's most
    likely that Tarc will have to send the PC back - that's the good thing about
    cheap mail orders, full of hassles if things go wrong.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 4, 2003
  5. tarc

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dogg wrote:
    > On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:16:13 +1300, "tarc"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings - today I received a courier delivered PC. It powers up
    >> (using WinXP Pro 1GB Ram) )goes approx 5 - 10 minutes then loses
    >> power
    >> ompletely - dies- and is not able to go again even when switched at
    >> wall for 10 -15 minutes. Did have time on last powerup to grab this
    >> info from the BIOS CPU TEMP 52C
    >> SYS TEMP 36C
    >> CPU FAN SPEED 2636RPM
    >> SYS FAN SPEED 0 RPM
    >> (doesn't change)
    >> Is this significant - I'm wondering if it got 'knocked' in transit.
    >> Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

    > CPU temp seems awfully high considering you're in the BIOS. The CPU
    > Fan speed also seems a bit slow. Have you opened the case and checked
    > everything looks okay and that the sys\case fan is plugged in (if it
    > has one)?

    The CPU temp is usually higher in BIOS than in Windows idling. Windows sends
    'halt' commands or something, so I've been told and have noticed the same
    thing myself.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Dec 4, 2003
  6. tarc

    samg Guest

    "tarc" <> wrote in

    > Greetings - today I received a courier delivered PC. It powers up
    > (using WinXP Pro 1GB Ram) )goes approx 5 - 10 minutes then loses
    > power ompletely - dies- and is not able to go again even when
    > switched at wall for 10 -15 minutes. Did have time on last powerup to
    > grab this info from the BIOS CPU TEMP 52C
    > SYS TEMP 36C
    > CPU FAN SPEED 2636RPM
    > SYS FAN SPEED 0 RPM
    > (doesn't
    > change)
    > Is this significant - I'm wondering if it got 'knocked' in transit.
    > Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

    meh dont muck about with it. Call the supplier and arrange for a
    replacement.
    samg, Dec 4, 2003
  7. tarc

    T.N.O. Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > The CPU temp is usually higher in BIOS than in Windows idling. Windows sends
    > 'halt' commands or something, so I've been told and have noticed the same
    > thing myself.

    Unless you use something like Seti and the CPU is never idle.
    T.N.O., Dec 4, 2003
  8. Dont open it up (yet)
    Leave it running in the bios setup, does it stilll turn off after 10mins??
    Check power saving/suspend in bios, check settings for shudown on whatever cpu temp
    It should run OK at even higher temps (for now), well within manufacturers specs. Some PCs run the
    CPU fan at low speed ( to keep it quiet) so dont worry about CPU fan speed yet.

    Things to check for & void warranty: PCI cards sitting half out on at a angle, power supply fan
    dead, heatsink on backwards(& sitting off the CPU) , cheap & nasty power supply, buldging
    motherboard caps, faulty RAM, dead fan on video card,

    But first see how long it will run for just sitting in bios setup ( or boot up with a DOS bootdisk)
    Steve Robertson, Dec 4, 2003
  9. On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 07:47:30 +0000, Steve Robertson wrote:

    > Things to check for & void warranty

    There have been court cases about this in NZ. Opening the case does not
    void the warranty.

    >: PCI cards sitting half out on at a angle

    (Which is indicative of rough enough transit handling to damage the hard drive)

    >, power supply fan
    > dead, heatsink on backwards(& sitting off the CPU)

    CPU heatsink plastic protector strip not removed - I've encountered this
    one a few times now. End result is a cooked CPU (actually worse than if
    the heatsink is mounted skewed, so not touching the die...)

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 4, 2003
  10. tarc

    tarc Guest

    Thank you everybody :) I'm working on suggestions.
    And Scroogie: it wasn't terribly cheap. I bought it on TradeMe:)
    Alas - for better or worse. The seller is trying to 'walk me' through
    it.
    tarc, Dec 4, 2003
  11. tarc

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "tarc" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you everybody :) I'm working on suggestions.
    > And Scroogie: it wasn't terribly cheap. I bought it on TradeMe:)
    > Alas - for better or worse. The seller is trying to 'walk me' through
    > it.

    That was a big risk. There's no reason why it shouldn't work as soon as you
    switched it on. It should be up to the seller to check it out. If it has a
    hardware fault which is quite probable, what are you going to do then?

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 4, 2003
  12. tarc

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:40:05 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    >The CPU temp is usually higher in BIOS than in Windows idling. Windows sends
    >'halt' commands or something, so I've been told and have noticed the same
    >thing myself.

    Learn something new everday.
    Dogg, Dec 4, 2003
  13. Dogg <> writes:

    >On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:40:05 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    >wrote:

    ><snip>
    >>
    >>The CPU temp is usually higher in BIOS than in Windows idling. Windows sends
    >>'halt' commands or something, so I've been told and have noticed the same
    >>thing myself.

    >Learn something new everday.

    .... even if it's not 100% correct :). The Win9x family don't halt the CPU at
    all, it's only Win2K and XP that do it. In addition whether the halt has any
    effect depends on the system, some AMD systems (particularly slightly older
    ones) tend to disable suspend-on-halt because of... quirks with earlier AMD
    Athlons (you'd probably need to sign an AMD NDA to find out what the issues
    are).

    (An alternative theory for the disabled suspend-on-halt is that constantly
    switching a 60-70W load in and out may cause problems with some power
    supplies).

    Peter.
    Peter Gutmann, Dec 5, 2003
  14. tarc

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:11:46 +1300, Dogg <> wrote:

    >>The CPU temp is usually higher in BIOS than in Windows idling. Windows sends
    >>'halt' commands or something, so I've been told and have noticed the same
    >>thing myself.

    >Learn something new everday.

    Only windows 2000 and xp series. 9x series do not.

    --

    ....Brendan

    Under capitalism, man exploits man.
    Under communism, it's just the opposite.
    J.K.Galbraith

    Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.
    Brendan, Dec 5, 2003
  15. tarc

    Brendan Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Greetings - today I received a courier delivered PC. It powers up (using
    >WinXP Pro 1GB Ram) )goes approx 5 - 10 minutes then loses power
    >ompletely - dies- and is not able to go again even when switched at wall
    >for 10 -15 minutes. Did have time on last powerup to grab this info from the
    >BIOS CPU TEMP 52C
    > SYS TEMP 36C
    > CPU FAN SPEED 2636RPM
    > SYS FAN SPEED 0 RPM (doesn't
    >change)
    >Is this significant - I'm wondering if it got 'knocked' in transit.
    >Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

    Your heat sink is not up to the job/improperly installed. Fan looks
    pretty slow....

    It shuts down because your system is protecting itself from heat
    damage. And it will not turn on again until it's cooled.

    Brendan, Dec 5, 2003
  16. On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:02:08 +1300, Brendan wrote:

    >>>The CPU temp is usually higher in BIOS than in Windows idling. Windows sends
    >>>'halt' commands or something, so I've been told and have noticed the same
    >>>thing myself.

    >>Learn something new everday.

    > Only windows 2000 and xp series. 9x series do not.

    Linux has been doing it for 10 years...
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 5, 2003
  17. tarc

    T.N.O. Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    >>>Learn something new everday.

    >>Only windows 2000 and xp series. 9x series do not.

    > Linux has been doing it for 10 years...

    There are free utils to send it in the 9x series, and have been for some
    time, since atleast the pentium series, so that would make it circa 95,
    8 years.

    Not that it matters, but just to clarify.
    T.N.O., Dec 5, 2003
  18. Re: Help! PC keeps losing power__ So Pay the Power Bill.

    On 06 Dec 2003, Gregory Parker wrote

    > [blank post]

    Another in a long list of content-free, intelligence-free, witless posts
    from Roger Sheppard.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    - "Bother!", said Pooh, as he took aim from behind the grassy knoll.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 6, 2003
  19. T.N.O. wrote:

    >>> Only windows 2000 and xp series. 9x series do not.

    >> Linux has been doing it for 10 years...

    > There are free utils to send it in the 9x series, and have been for
    > some time, since atleast the pentium series, so that would make it
    > circa 95, 8 years.

    You can get free utils to do it in DOS, too, AFAIK.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 6, 2003