Help..Partition magic made my partition disappear into oblivion

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pierre Jarry, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. Pierre Jarry

    Pierre Jarry Guest

    Something went wrong while I was merging a 6Gb NTFS patition with the
    50Gb NTFS primary partition it had originally come from...(PM had
    frozen and I had to reboot half way thru the process...yikes!).
    Now there is 6Gb of space missing on the disk that doesn't even show
    up as unallocated space...
    The Bios, PM and Sisoft Sandra all report the full drive size but
    report nevertheless the available space as being 6Gb short of what it
    ought to be...
    XP and CHKDSK, unfortunately only see the "reduced size".
    PM from XP or Rescue floppy doens't see anything wrong otherwise and
    everything works....
    It looks like the FAT is confused as to where the last sector of the
    disk is....

    Does anyone know of a way to "fix" this...a utility...a non
    destructive formating...whatever...??

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Pierre
    Pierre Jarry, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Pierre Jarry

    Me2U Guest

    Plenty of pages at Google about recovering deleted partition tables.

    LINK

    Me2U, Jul 12, 2003

  3. Pierre Jarry

    Pierre Jarry Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:33:00 GMT, Me2U <> wrote:

    >--------------7E09D78716A7FD3124377F7E
    >
    >Plenty of pages at Google about recovering deleted partition tables.
    >
    >LINK

    I've looked and (hoping that I'm wrong) it looks like those utilities
    woudn't be any good for my situation since in my case, the missing
    "partition" is not within another partition space...not even
    "unallocated" space....it's become outside of where these utilities
    would consider looking....and there is no data as such that I'm trying
    to recover...just lost space...
    Although "Winhex" demo looked promising, even though the demo can't
    "save" cluster parameter changes, and is not cheap.

    Pierre

    Pierre Jarry, Jul 13, 2003
  4. Pierre Jarry

    Pierre Jarry Guest

    Well, I've watched the Expos there when I lived in Montreal...have
    been in New Zealand for 19 years though...
    I've installed Clean Disk Security...can see the nice Hex
    numbers...now what...?

    Pierre Jarry, Jul 13, 2003
  5. "Pierre Jarry" <> wrote in message
    > Something went wrong while I was merging a 6Gb NTFS patition with the
    > 50Gb NTFS primary partition it had originally come from...(PM had
    > frozen and I had to reboot half way thru the process...yikes!).

    Just wanted to say that the problem was more likely you and your reboot than
    it was PM. On large drives (and 50 GB counts as a "large"drive), PM may
    appear to "freeze" even while it works. It's even part of their FAQ. The
    thing that screws up is users rebooting because of a "frozen" program that
    isn't frozen. When you are messing around with partitions, let the software
    alone for as long as it takes. Anything else is begging for trouble.
    Oxford Systems, Jul 13, 2003
  6. Pierre Jarry

    Miggsee Guest

    Try this:
    In XP, go into Administrative tools> Computer Management> Disk Management.
    Right click on the disk in question, and choose your options. Use your Help
    and Support files if in doubt.

    Miggsee, Jul 13, 2003
  7. Pierre Jarry

    Pierre Jarry Guest

    I agree, I should have waited ( I waited 30 mins with the mouse not
    responding at all, and the HD LED not flashing and no noise from the
    HD..this is in DOS mode PM from the rescue disk)...I could have tried
    the NumLock key LED apparently.

    Pierre Jarry, Jul 14, 2003