    I have set up a dual boot system with Win 2k on C drive and Xp on D Drive.
    However, no matter how many times I set on up XP keep telling me it has no
    paging file. 2k works fine. Any ideas? TIA.

    That, Aug 23, 2004

  2. That

    Brian M. Guest

    Re: Paging File. TIA.

    "That" <> wrote in message
    news:JlrWc.241$...
    > I have set up a dual boot system with Win 2k on C drive and Xp on D Drive.
    > However, no matter how many times I set on up XP keep telling me it has no
    > paging file. 2k works fine. Any ideas? TIA.

    I'm getting the same problem on my test computer too. Happens when I try to
    install xp or server 2003 on it. KERNEL_PAGEFILE_ERROR BSOD error code has a
    bunch of zeros and a 7 in it. I did a google search and didn't have any
    luck, everything says to make sure you have the latest drivers. Not much
    help during install. I suspect it's my video card (geforce fx 5200) since I
    always get a message that it was unable to install video before I get the
    BSOD. Other sources say it could be a mobo problem, apparently xp install
    can give that message if there is a scratch in the pcb, I guess win2k and
    previous os's aren't as inquisitive about your hardware setup on install. I
    haven't had time to switch the cards out yet but I could also use some help
    on this one.

    Brian M., Aug 24, 2004

  3. That

    relic Guest

    Re: Paging File. TIA.

    That wrote:
    > I have set up a dual boot system with Win 2k on C drive and Xp on D
    > Drive. However, no matter how many times I set on up XP keep telling
    > me it has no paging file. 2k works fine. Any ideas? TIA.

    *IF* you have an Intel 8xx Chipset, install Intel's Application Accelerator.
    http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/CS-009305.htm

    --
    - relic -
    Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive.

    relic, Aug 24, 2004
  4. That

    That Guest

    Re: Paging File. TIA.

    I tried that before posting. It just says "hardware not found" so I guess
    none of the relevant intel stuff is in there. Any other ideas? TIA.

    That, Aug 24, 2004
  5. That

    relic Guest

    Re: Paging File. TIA.

    That wrote:
    > "relic" <> wrote in message
    >> That wrote:
    >>> I have set up a dual boot system with Win 2k on C drive and Xp on D
    >>> Drive. However, no matter how many times I set on up XP keep telling
    >>> me it has no paging file. 2k works fine. Any ideas? TIA.

    >> *IF* you have an Intel 8xx Chipset, install Intel's Application
    >> Accelerator.
    >> http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/CS-009305.htm
    >>

    > I tried that before posting. It just says "hardware not found" so I
    > guess none of the relevant intel stuff is in there. Any other ideas?
    > TIA.

    What is your motherboard?

    relic, Aug 24, 2004
  6. That

    JaR Guest

    Re: Paging File. TIA.

    In alt.certification.mcse, Brian M. climbed on a soapbox & opined:

    > "That" <> wrote in message
    >> I have set up a dual boot system with Win 2k on C drive and Xp on D
    >> Drive. However, no matter how many times I set on up XP keep telling
    >> me it has no paging file. 2k works fine. Any ideas? TIA.
    >>

    > I'm getting the same problem on my test computer too. Happens when I
    > try to install xp or server 2003 on it. KERNEL_PAGEFILE_ERROR BSOD
    > error code has a bunch of zeros and a 7 in it. I did a google search
    > and didn't have any luck, everything says to make sure you have the
    > latest drivers. Not much help during install. I suspect it's my video
    > card (geforce fx 5200) since I always get a message that it was unable
    > to install video before I get the BSOD. Other sources say it could be
    > a mobo problem, apparently xp install can give that message if there
    > is a scratch in the pcb, I guess win2k and previous os's aren't as
    > inquisitive about your hardware setup on install. I haven't had time
    > to switch the cards out yet but I could also use some help on this
    > one.

    Don't know if this will help, but I had a similar problem with Server
    2003. Turns out I had bad RAM. It worked just fine with 2k, and I
    installed the RAM in another box running 98 it worked fine. But when I
    slapped a couple of new sticks in the box I was trying to install 2003
    on, the problem went away and it installed. If you have some spare sticks
    lying around, try swapping them out.

    JaR
    MCNGP #22

    JaR, Aug 24, 2004
  7. That

    Rex Tincher Guest

    Re: Paging File. TIA.

    On 24 Aug 2004 16:49:14 GMT, JaR <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >Don't know if this will help, but I had a similar problem with Server
    >2003. Turns out I had bad RAM. It worked just fine with 2k, and I
    >installed the RAM in another box running 98 it worked fine. But when I
    >slapped a couple of new sticks in the box I was trying to install 2003
    >on, the problem went away and it installed. If you have some spare sticks
    >lying around, try swapping them out.

    If that doesn't work, try new hard drive cable and new hard drive.

    --
    "She had the 9mm and a .38 revolver. That surprised me,
    considering she said she was going to be in the Million Mom March

    Rex Tincher, Aug 24, 2004
  8. That

    Rex Tincher Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:13:45 GMT, "That" <> wrote:

    >I have set up a dual boot system with Win 2k on C drive and Xp on D Drive.
    >However, no matter how many times I set on up XP keep telling me it has no
    >paging file. 2k works fine. Any ideas? TIA.

    Have you tried putting the page files on different partitions? (May
    need to turn off error logging first in the Startup/Shutdown options.)

    I don't know if that will fix it. I've never seen your problem
    before. But it is worth a try.

    Rex Tincher, Aug 24, 2004
  9. Re: Paging File. TIA.

    Where is your paging file set to? If you set it to D: drive it may work
    better.

    Nettransplant, Aug 25, 2004
  10. That

    That Guest

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried putting the paging file on C,
    D, E and even all 3 simultaneously and it still said there wasn't one.
    However, I have now solved the problem. While doing some totally unrelated
    stuff, I discovered I had no floppy drive. This was due to an IRQ conflict.
    I removed the conflicting item and... viola. Floppy drive returns. And I had
    rebooted at least twice before I realised I hadn't seen that error message
    re the paging file. I rebooted again to convince myself I hadn't imagined
    it... and sure enough it wasn't there and I haven't had the problem since.
    So anyone having paging file problems like that discussed MIGHT just want to
    check for similar IRQ conflicts. Thanks again guys.

    That, Aug 25, 2004
  11. That

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Rowdy Yates, Aug 25, 2004
  12. That

    relic Guest

    That wrote:
    > Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried putting the paging file
    > on C, D, E and even all 3 simultaneously and it still said there
    > wasn't one. However, I have now solved the problem. While doing some
    > totally unrelated stuff, I discovered I had no floppy drive. This was
    > due to an IRQ conflict. I removed the conflicting item and... viola.
    > Floppy drive returns. And I had rebooted at least twice before I
    > realised I hadn't seen that error message re the paging file. I
    > rebooted again to convince myself I hadn't imagined it... and sure
    > enough it wasn't there and I haven't had the problem since. So anyone
    > having paging file problems like that discussed MIGHT just want to
    > check for similar IRQ conflicts. Thanks again guys.

    That's a new one. (I thought I had seen all the symptoms of an IRQ Conflict.)
    Thanks for the feedback.

    relic, Aug 25, 2004
  13. That

    JaR Guest

    In alt.certification.mcse, That climbed on a soapbox & opined:

    > Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried putting the paging file
    > on C, D, E and even all 3 simultaneously and it still said there
    > wasn't one. However, I have now solved the problem. While doing some
    > totally unrelated stuff, I discovered I had no floppy drive. This was
    > due to an IRQ conflict. I removed the conflicting item and... viola.
    > Floppy drive returns. And I had rebooted at least twice before I
    > realised I hadn't seen that error message re the paging file. I
    > rebooted again to convince myself I hadn't imagined it... and sure
    > enough it wasn't there and I haven't had the problem since. So anyone
    > having paging file problems like that discussed MIGHT just want to
    > check for similar IRQ conflicts. Thanks again guys.

    Just out of curiosity, what was conflicting with the floppy?

    JaR

    JaR, Aug 25, 2004