    readers are not a solution.
    --
    Seagull

    Seagull, Aug 6, 2006

  2. Seagull

    Mark Guest

    On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 16:29:27 +1200, "Seagull"
    <> wrote:

    >I am trying to set up a "new" box for some pensioner friends after their old
    >one suffered a lightning strike.
    >I can not solve the problem with the password. There is plenty of stuff
    >including MS Knowledge base 290684 which suggests editing the registry. in
    >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
    >The trouble is there is no mention of Protected Storage System Provider
    >when I look with Regedit.
    >I have run Protected Storage PassView v1.63 which can find the passwords and
    >remove them but the problem recurs when they are re-entered.
    >Can some kind soul suggest a solution?
    >
    >P.S. The users are not computer literate so Linux and alternative mail
    >readers are not a solution.

    This should do the trick, thats a fairly common one;
    http://www.pchell.com/support/oepassword.shtml

    Cheers,

    Mark

    Mark, Aug 6, 2006

  3. Seagull

    EMB Guest

    Seagull wrote:
    > I am trying to set up a "new" box for some pensioner friends after their old
    > one suffered a lightning strike.
    > I can not solve the problem with the password. There is plenty of stuff
    > including MS Knowledge base 290684 which suggests editing the registry. in
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
    > The trouble is there is no mention of Protected Storage System Provider
    > when I look with Regedit.
    > I have run Protected Storage PassView v1.63 which can find the passwords and
    > remove them but the problem recurs when they are re-entered.
    > Can some kind soul suggest a solution?
    >
    > P.S. The users are not computer literate so Linux and alternative mail
    > readers are not a solution.

    You're not pressing escape at the login prompt when you start windows
    are you? If you are then the password will not be remembered.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Aug 6, 2006
  4. Seagull

    Seagull Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Seagull wrote:
    >> I am trying to set up a "new" box for some pensioner friends after their
    >> old
    >> one suffered a lightning strike.
    >> I can not solve the problem with the password. There is plenty of stuff
    >> including MS Knowledge base 290684 which suggests editing the registry.
    >> in
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
    >> The trouble is there is no mention of Protected Storage System Provider
    >> when I look with Regedit.
    >> I have run Protected Storage PassView v1.63 which can find the passwords
    >> and
    >> remove them but the problem recurs when they are re-entered.
    >> Can some kind soul suggest a solution?
    >>
    >> P.S. The users are not computer literate so Linux and alternative mail
    >> readers are not a solution.

    > You're not pressing escape at the login prompt when you start windows are
    > you? If you are then the password will not be remembered.
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    Thanks for the replies Mark and EMB but
    I do not find the protected storage provider section after I expand the
    Microsoft section in Regedit so I can not delete it.

    And I have not touched the escape key at the login prompt

    Seagull, Aug 6, 2006
  5. Seagull

    joe_90 Guest

    Seagull wrote:
    > I am trying to set up a "new" box for some pensioner friends after their old
    > one suffered a lightning strike.
    > I can not solve the problem with the password. There is plenty of stuff
    > including MS Knowledge base 290684 which suggests editing the registry. in
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
    > The trouble is there is no mention of Protected Storage System Provider
    > when I look with Regedit.
    > I have run Protected Storage PassView v1.63 which can find the passwords and
    > remove them but the problem recurs when they are re-entered.
    > Can some kind soul suggest a solution?
    >
    > P.S. The users are not computer literate so Linux and alternative mail
    > readers are not a solution.

    A quick Google found this -

    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/11.html

    The registry edit to enable password caching looks promising.

    joe_90, Aug 6, 2006
  6. Seagull

    Seagull Guest

    "joe_90" <joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com> wrote in message
    > Seagull wrote:
    >> I am trying to set up a "new" box for some pensioner friends after their
    >> old
    >> one suffered a lightning strike.
    >> I can not solve the problem with the password. There is plenty of stuff
    >> including MS Knowledge base 290684 which suggests editing the registry.
    >> in
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
    >> The trouble is there is no mention of Protected Storage System Provider
    >> when I look with Regedit.
    >> I have run Protected Storage PassView v1.63 which can find the passwords
    >> and
    >> remove them but the problem recurs when they are re-entered.
    >> Can some kind soul suggest a solution?
    >>
    >> P.S. The users are not computer literate so Linux and alternative mail
    >> readers are not a solution.

    > A quick Google found this -
    >
    > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/11.html
    >
    > The registry edit to enable password caching looks promising.

    Thanks joe_90
    I tried that and unfortunately does not seem to have worked.

    --
    Seagull

    Seagull, Aug 7, 2006