    sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
    SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS ARE.........All
    The Best.....FRED
    fredcromer, May 30, 2004

  2. fredcromer

    Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 23:24:23 +0100, "fredcromer"
    <fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> spewed forth:

    >Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so in
    >LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails in
    >my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent by
    >me,..to a person,..( usually called ),or names to that
    >effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc....
    > Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied with
    >an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so please
    >don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one yet,
    >but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
    >else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the same
    >time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy internet
    >sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
    >SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS ARE.........All
    >The Best.....FRED

    Some viris infect your friend's PC and, because you are in the
    infected machine's address book, you end up with mail you shouldn't
    have.
    Just use mailwasher's bounce and blacklist features to keep it out of
    your mail client and you should be ok.
    --
    Mark

    Otherwise known as
    ------------
    Cablenetguy
    , May 31, 2004

  3. fredcromer

    Thor Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 23:24:23 +0100, "fredcromer"
    > <fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> spewed forth:
    >
    > >Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so

    in
    > >LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails

    in
    > >my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent

    by
    > >me,..to a person,..( usually called ),or names to

    that
    > >effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc....
    > > Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied

    with
    > >an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so

    please
    > >don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one

    yet,
    > >but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
    > >else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the

    same
    > >time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy

    internet
    > >sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
    > >SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS

    ARE.........All
    > >The Best.....FRED
    > >

    > Some viris infect your friend's PC and, because you are in the
    > infected machine's address book, you end up with mail you shouldn't
    > have.
    > Just use mailwasher's bounce and blacklist features to keep it out of
    > your mail client and you should be ok.
    > --
    > Mark
    >
    > Otherwise known as
    > ------------
    > Cablenetguy

    Spammers also use a fake message bounce notification, just to get you to
    open their HTML attachment, with their spam ads. I've gotten loads of those.
    They say you sent a message to an undeliverable address, etc, and make it
    look like they sent your "message" back as an attachment, when the
    attachment is just a spam ad.
    Thor, May 31, 2004
  4. fredcromer

    ProfGene Guest

    Your computer probably has a worm which you can clean out with you virus
    scanning program and if you don't have one get oen even a free program will
    do it. Another thing you can try is to make the first email address in you
    address book AAA and even if they tell you it is not a valid address put it
    there anyway. This is supposed to cause the mail sent by the worm to be
    returned to you so no one in your address book will receive it.

    ProfGene, Jun 1, 2004
  5. fredcromer

    Stuart Guest

    fredcromer wrote:

    > Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so in
    > LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails in
    > my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent by
    > me,..to a person,..( usually called ),or names to that
    > effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc....
    > Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied with
    > an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so please
    > don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one yet,
    > but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
    > else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the same
    > time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy internet
    > sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
    > SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS ARE.........All
    > The Best.....FRED

    ZoneAlarm is a free firewall which is very good.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Jun 10, 2004