help organizing large photo collection on Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charlotte DeMott, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. Hi Everyone,

    I (or Santa) am about to buy a Canon 300D as my first digital camera. I
    typically take about 50-100 rolls of film per year. Main subject matter
    is my family, which includes sports shots of my kids and their
    teammates. I also do some backyard wildlife photography.

    My current hardware is a Mac Powerbook G4 with 60GB hard drive.

    I am trying to work out the logistics of organizing my digital photos
    before I start creating them. I like the iPhoto software that comes on
    the Mac, but am aware of it's size limitations. I have read of a
    solution that involves writing photo albums to DVD when they get too
    large for efficient manipulation and managing the DVD inventory with a
    3rd bit of software.
    (http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/06/17/iphoto2.html).

    This approach is attractive because 1) I don't have to buy much new
    software and 2) it is analogous to my current film and photo archival
    system (I write the date on each photo envelope and list the subject
    matter on that roll of film, then file the envelopes chronologically),
    and 3) it makes it easy to write slideshows with the Mac's iDVD and
    iMovie applications, as I like to put together a slide show for each
    child on my kids' soccer teams at the end of the season.

    Given the volume of photos I take, and that I want to add keywords to
    the photos to quickly do searches for certain types of photos, does this
    sound like a reasonable approach, or are there better systems that
    others have found?

    Many many thanks for your suggestions.

    Charlotte

    Charlotte DeMott, Nov 24, 2003

  2. Charlotte DeMott

    Stewy Guest

    As many Mac users will realise, the album feature in iPhoto is probably the
    best way. Choose as many albums as you think you need and drag photos into
    these albums. You can name them by date taken, subject, size - anything and
    iPhoto will allow you to have as many of these as you like. Just as the
    secret of iTunes is playlists.
    Burning to CDR each month or so is the best bet as these are incredibly
    cheap.

    If you have excel for mac, you can also organize the listing with this.

    Stewy, Nov 28, 2003

  3. Charlotte DeMott

    Jeremy Guest

    Charlotte DeMott <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I (or Santa) am about to buy a Canon 300D as my first digital camera. I
    > typically take about 50-100 rolls of film per year. Main subject matter
    > is my family, which includes sports shots of my kids and their
    > teammates. I also do some backyard wildlife photography.
    >
    > My current hardware is a Mac Powerbook G4 with 60GB hard drive.
    >
    > I am trying to work out the logistics of organizing my digital photos
    > before I start creating them. I like the iPhoto software that comes on
    > the Mac, but am aware of it's size limitations. I have read of a
    > solution that involves writing photo albums to DVD when they get too
    > large for efficient manipulation and managing the DVD inventory with a
    > 3rd bit of software.
    > (http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/06/17/iphoto2.html).
    >
    > This approach is attractive because 1) I don't have to buy much new
    > software and 2) it is analogous to my current film and photo archival
    > system (I write the date on each photo envelope and list the subject
    > matter on that roll of film, then file the envelopes chronologically),
    > and 3) it makes it easy to write slideshows with the Mac's iDVD and
    > iMovie applications, as I like to put together a slide show for each
    > child on my kids' soccer teams at the end of the season.
    >
    > Given the volume of photos I take, and that I want to add keywords to
    > the photos to quickly do searches for certain types of photos, does this
    > sound like a reasonable approach, or are there better systems that
    > others have found?
    >
    > Many many thanks for your suggestions.
    >
    > Charlotte

    I don't think you'll find that the volume of photos you take will
    exceed the limitations of iPhoto, particularly as you can save your
    photos in a series of "libraries" - say, one per year, hence reducing
    the number of "live" data that iPhoto has to deal with.

    J.

    Jeremy, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Charlotte DeMott

    Jeremy Guest