HELP!! OpenGL woes on WS2003 x64!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by duckdown, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. duckdown

    duckdown Guest

    Hi all..

    I just got my version of Windows Server 2003 x64 finally (I'm a high school
    graduate trying to learn the ropes to eventually pursue certifcations..) but
    I'm having a problem..

    Here is my full system specs:

    AMD64 3500+ Socket 939
    ABIT AV8 Motherboard
    1024 OCZ Platinum Dual Channel RAM (2-2-2-5)
    BFG 6800GT OC Video Card (256MB, GeForce4)
    Twin WD Raptor 74gb's

    So, I just installed it, and I also installed the newest drivers for my
    version of Windows Server 2003 x64 from nvidia.com, and it works absolutely
    great for the desktop, but it seems my OpenGL programs aren't working!
    I've tried various programs that use OpenGL (Quake 1 & 2, other various
    OpenGL games/applications) and they all fail to switch from software
    rendering into OpenGL mode..

    Now, I know that obviously Windows Server is not meant to game on (which is
    why I still dual boot 32bit XP) but regardless, OpenGL should be working,
    and although gaming isn't the greatest idea, there is no reason why I
    shouldn't be able to enjoy a game of classic Quake 2 once and a while when
    I'm bored :[

    Can someone please give me ANY reccomendations and/or suggestions on what I
    should do now? Maybe suggest some more things I can do to see if my
    DirectX/OpenGL is functioning, etc..

    I'm at a total loss, and I have nothing but respect for all of the good
    advice from you professionals, so, THANKS IN ADVANCE! :D

    -Ryan

    duckdown, Jul 19, 2005

  2. duckdown

    Jerry Guest

    http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/ Get Open GL Extension Viewer - it works
    on Windows 64 and it may help with your problem.

    Jerry, Jul 19, 2005

  3. duckdown

    duckdown Guest

    I tried installing the program that you pointed out, but noticed when I went
    to run it, it did nothing..
    So I checked event viewer, and sure enough:
    Faulting application glview.x64.exe, version 2.1.9.196, faulting module
    glview.x64.exe, version 2.1.9.196, fault address 0x0000000000014833.

    followed by:

    The application, E:\Program Files (x86)\Realtech VR\OpenGL Extensions
    Viewer\glview.x64.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on
    07/18/2005 @ 23:57:27.125 The exception generated was c0000005 at address
    0000000000414833 (glview_x64)

    What should I do now? What the heck :~(

    duckdown, Jul 19, 2005
  4. duckdown

    James Park Guest

    Try the suggestions at http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/hardwareacc.htm

    There's some other good stuff around too, so check it out.

    James Park, Jul 19, 2005
  5. duckdown

    Shane Guest

    "duckdown" wrote

    > What should I do now? What the heck :~(

    Have you thought about trading your XP32 for XP64? If you are determined as
    hell (and it seems that you are) to run games in 64 bit, that may be the
    best way to go. Keep in mind that you will most likely not see any
    performance difference from the 64 bit, since the game really needs to (in
    theory) be written in 64 bit to see much of a performance increase. I
    suppose that you may see some faster math from the WOW in 64 bit, but I
    sorta doubt you will notice the difference.

    My suggestion on a personal and deep digging note is to find a real reason
    to run the server software and use it for that if you are serious about
    getting certs. (I also suggest college as well as certs, as certs alone
    have a hard time getting you a job - just in case you were thinking of
    taking the easy route...). Sorry if I sound like a parent - I am.

    Anyway, I usually say to use the right machine for the job - but in a wild
    frnezy, I once installed windows 95 on a mac via a DOS emulator, so my
    credibility is sorta shot. hehe

    Good luck!

    Shane

    Shane, Jul 19, 2005
  6. duckdown wrote:
    > Hi all..
    >
    > I just got my version of Windows Server 2003 x64 finally (I'm a high school
    > graduate trying to learn the ropes to eventually pursue certifcations..) but
    > I'm having a problem..
    >
    > Here is my full system specs:
    >
    > AMD64 3500+ Socket 939
    > ABIT AV8 Motherboard
    > 1024 OCZ Platinum Dual Channel RAM (2-2-2-5)
    > BFG 6800GT OC Video Card (256MB, GeForce4)
    > Twin WD Raptor 74gb's
    >
    > So, I just installed it, and I also installed the newest drivers for my
    > version of Windows Server 2003 x64 from nvidia.com, and it works absolutely
    > great for the desktop, but it seems my OpenGL programs aren't working!
    > I've tried various programs that use OpenGL (Quake 1 & 2, other various
    > OpenGL games/applications) and they all fail to switch from software
    > rendering into OpenGL mode..
    >
    > Now, I know that obviously Windows Server is not meant to game on (which is
    > why I still dual boot 32bit XP) but regardless, OpenGL should be working,
    > and although gaming isn't the greatest idea, there is no reason why I
    > shouldn't be able to enjoy a game of classic Quake 2 once and a while when
    > I'm bored :[
    >
    > Can someone please give me ANY reccomendations and/or suggestions on what I
    > should do now? Maybe suggest some more things I can do to see if my
    > DirectX/OpenGL is functioning, etc..
    >
    > I'm at a total loss, and I have nothing but respect for all of the good
    > advice from you professionals, so, THANKS IN ADVANCE! :D
    >
    > -Ryan

    OpenGL support is purely a function of the video card drivers, and
    not the OS. Contact the manufacturer of your video card to obtain the
    most recent WinXP-specific drivers.

    Programs that Require OpenGL Support May Not Run in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285912

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: