Help on file sharing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Yuke, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. Yuke

    Yuke Guest

    I am trying to establish a file sharing network between my desktop and
    laptop via wireless network. I tried to do the setup and I am able to access
    the hard drive on the desktop from my laptop. However when I click on My
    Network Places on my desktop I can't see any icons for the hard drive. I
    know I set the hard drive on my laptop so that it'll be shared on the
    network. I did the same on my desktop.

    Why is it that I can only access to the hard drive on the desktop from my
    laptop but not vise versa? Please help

    thank you

    yuke
    Yuke, Jan 11, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Check Windows XP firewall on your laptop

    "Yuke" wrote:

    > I am trying to establish a file sharing network between my desktop and
    > laptop via wireless network. I tried to do the setup and I am able to access
    > the hard drive on the desktop from my laptop. However when I click on My
    > Network Places on my desktop I can't see any icons for the hard drive. I
    > know I set the hard drive on my laptop so that it'll be shared on the
    > network. I did the same on my desktop.
    >
    > Why is it that I can only access to the hard drive on the desktop from my
    > laptop but not vise versa? Please help
    >
    > thank you
    >
    > yuke
    >
    >
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?U2Ft?=, Jan 11, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

    Carey

    "Yuke" <> wrote in message
    news:eFxR$...
    >I am trying to establish a file sharing network between my desktop and
    >laptop via wireless network. I tried to do the setup and I am able to
    >access the hard drive on the desktop from my laptop. However when I click
    >on My Network Places on my desktop I can't see any icons for the hard
    >drive. I know I set the hard drive on my laptop so that it'll be shared on
    >the network. I did the same on my desktop.
    >
    > Why is it that I can only access to the hard drive on the desktop from my
    > laptop but not vise versa? Please help
    >
    > thank you
    >
    > yuke
    >
    Carey Holzman, Jan 11, 2005
    #3
  4. I am having the same probs - not as simple as adding network printer though.
    I have 2 x dell laptops, both running XP Home (SP2); 2 x BT voyager 1060
    wireless adapter; 1 x Linksys WAG54G(UK) wireless-g ADSL . I have connected
    to the Internet (BT broadband) simply enough but have run the network set up
    wizard till am blue in the face but without apparent success at joining my 2
    laptops so that they can share files and share printer.

    I keep getting the error message regarding the Wireless Zero Configuration;
    have enabled it, disabled it and set to auto but still no joy. Is this a red
    herring?

    On both laptops I do however see the wireless connection symbols - wirelss
    connection and signal strength and both seem to tell me that I am connected.
    Not sure or confident as to actual status; have asked each computer to map
    the network and neither shows that it sees the other.

    Firewall is, I think, disabled on both laptops. Would VERY MUCH appreciate
    some guidance and ideally be able to speak it through with someone.

    Many thanks in anticipation,

    Paul Miller


    "Carey Holzman" wrote:

    > www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
    >
    > Carey
    >
    > "Yuke" <> wrote in message
    > news:eFxR$...
    > >I am trying to establish a file sharing network between my desktop and
    > >laptop via wireless network. I tried to do the setup and I am able to
    > >access the hard drive on the desktop from my laptop. However when I click
    > >on My Network Places on my desktop I can't see any icons for the hard
    > >drive. I know I set the hard drive on my laptop so that it'll be shared on
    > >the network. I did the same on my desktop.
    > >
    > > Why is it that I can only access to the hard drive on the desktop from my
    > > laptop but not vise versa? Please help
    > >
    > > thank you
    > >
    > > yuke
    > >

    >
    >
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?cGF1bGdtaWxsZXI=?=, Jan 11, 2005
    #4
  5. Yuke

    Malke Guest

    paulgmiller wrote:

    > I am having the same probs


    (snip)

    Paul - you have posted this twice now in someone else's thread. Please
    don't hijack other people's threads, even if you think the problem is
    similar. It makes it impossible to give both people good help. Post
    your question, including all details as clearly and concisely as you
    can, in a *new* thread. In the meantime, run through MVP Hans-Georg
    Michna's troubleshooter here:

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    Then post back the results in the *new* thread you will start. Keep
    posts about one subject in one thread.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    Malke, Jan 11, 2005
    #5
  6. Many thanks for your advise and patience - newsgroup etiquette is if course
    noted.

    Having been around the houses with various help and advice I concluded that
    my problem probably had 'firewall' as its root cause. I therefore decided to
    uninstall 'Norton ISP 2005' from my laptop #2 but leave 'Norton Anti-Virus
    2004' installed on laptop #1. The big difference here being in the firewall
    application in Norton ISP 2005. This did the trick.

    I have since re-installed Norton ISP 2005 on laptop #2, closely following
    the advice in the manual (softcopy only available on disc and takes ages to
    plough through) and the total wireless networked system is operating
    perfectly, file and printer sharing complete. Neither the Newtorking or
    Wireless Networking wizards in Windows XP were necessary, even though, like
    many other posts, these had been tried ad nauseum.

    Problem solved; all help and advice was very gratefully received.

    Regards,

    P

    "Malke" wrote:

    > paulgmiller wrote:
    >
    > > I am having the same probs

    >
    > (snip)
    >
    > Paul - you have posted this twice now in someone else's thread. Please
    > don't hijack other people's threads, even if you think the problem is
    > similar. It makes it impossible to give both people good help. Post
    > your question, including all details as clearly and concisely as you
    > can, in a *new* thread. In the meantime, run through MVP Hans-Georg
    > Michna's troubleshooter here:
    >
    > http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm
    >
    > Then post back the results in the *new* thread you will start. Keep
    > posts about one subject in one thread.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?cGF1bGdtaWxsZXI=?=, Jan 11, 2005
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQ2xhcms=?=

    File Sharing Intermittent but Pings fine and iTunes Sharing works

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQ2xhcms=?=, Dec 5, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    684
    Malke
    Dec 5, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?YmVuanlyYW1h?=

    Setup file sharing and periphial sharing

    =?Utf-8?B?YmVuanlyYW1h?=, Mar 19, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    674
    Jack \(MVP\)
    Mar 19, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?RmlubmV5X1gx?=

    Wireless Networks - Printer Sharing - File Sharing

    =?Utf-8?B?RmlubmV5X1gx?=, Apr 29, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    619
    =?Utf-8?B?RmlubmV5X1gx?=
    Apr 29, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?ZHRhcHBlbkByb2dlcnMuY29t?=

    2 desktop connected and sharing, 1 laptop connect but not sharing

    =?Utf-8?B?ZHRhcHBlbkByb2dlcnMuY29t?=, Sep 2, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    605
    =?Utf-8?B?ZHRhcHBlbkByb2dlcnMuY29t?=
    Sep 2, 2005
  5. spoon2001
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    371
    Bruce Lewis
    May 29, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page