help on camera choice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by paul, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. paul

    paul Guest

    hi,
    i am about to buy my first digital camera after years of SLR use.
    I am after a camera with full manual control and enough resolution to allow
    A3 enlargements, so i am considering the following, but all have some
    downsides (if only it was a perfect world!). Top end of budget is £550

    1) Canon S50 - this is looking like the favourite at the moment...
    2) Canon A80 - Will 4MP be enough for A3 enlargements?
    3) fuji s7000 - i liked this in the shop but then read all the reviews about
    amount of noise in images!
    4) sony dsc-v1 - mixed reviews, ?battery life, and memory stick expensive

    Can anyone help me out on my choice. I appreciate i will get lots of
    conflicting answers, but would value opinion of people using them day to
    day. Also are there any others i should consider?

    Thanks,

    Paul

    paul, Nov 16, 2003