    and I dont want it, any suggestions please?

    Thanks in advance

    Steve P

    Paxo, Apr 16, 2004

  2. Paxo

    Trent SC Guest

    > I have backweb.exe running in the background everytime I boot my PC and
    > cannot get rid of it. I can end the process when Windows is running but
    > despite unticking any suspect applications in MSCONFIG and running Spybot,
    > the damn program still runs when I turn my PC on! I believe this is

    Adware
    > and I dont want it, any suggestions please?

    Run AdAware as well as Spybot, or better still hunt out one of Mike's
    excellent and detailed posts with the list of useful apps to run and deal
    with this crap.

    Trent SC, Apr 16, 2004

  3. Open spybot. DONT check your system.

    On the left, Click tools, and then click startup. It will give you a list
    of startup processes like MSCONFIG does. However, if you click a startup
    process in spybot, it will tell u exactly what that program/file is for.
    Uncheck stuff where the comments say its bad.

    Andrew Halpern, Apr 16, 2004
  4. Paxo

    one_red_eye Guest

    "Paxo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have backweb.exe running in the background everytime I boot my PC and
    > cannot get rid of it. I can end the process when Windows is running but
    > despite unticking any suspect applications in MSCONFIG and running Spybot,
    > the damn program still runs when I turn my PC on! I believe this is

    Adware
    > and I dont want it, any suggestions please?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve P

    backweb.exe is part of windows, it is not spyware
    It comes with a clean OEM install of windows when no internet connection in
    present.

    --
    I saw Elvis. He sat between
    me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

    one_red_eye, Apr 16, 2004
  5. Paxo

    ICee Guest

    Paxo wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have backweb.exe running in the background everytime I boot my PC
    > and cannot get rid of it. I can end the process when Windows is
    > running but despite unticking any suspect applications in MSCONFIG
    > and running Spybot, the damn program still runs when I turn my PC on!
    > I believe this is Adware and I dont want it, any suggestions please?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve P

    http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/B/Backweb.asp

    Courtesy of °Mike°:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

    ICee, Apr 16, 2004
  6. On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:29:17 -0500, one_red_eye wrote:

    > "Paxo" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I have backweb.exe running in the background everytime I boot my PC and
    >> cannot get rid of it. I can end the process when Windows is running but
    >> despite unticking any suspect applications in MSCONFIG and running Spybot,
    >> the damn program still runs when I turn my PC on! I believe this is

    > Adware
    >> and I dont want it, any suggestions please?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Steve P
    >>

    > backweb.exe is part of windows, it is not spyware

    Bullshit.

    > It comes with a clean OEM install

    Bullshit.

    > of windows when no internet connection in
    > present.

    I comes bundled with some applications.

    --
    Michael Turner
    Email (ROT13)

    michael turner, Apr 16, 2004
  7. Paxo

    one_red_eye Guest

    > > backweb.exe is part of windows, it is not spyware

    > Bullshit.
    >
    > > It comes with a clean OEM install

    > Bullshit.
    >
    > > of windows when no internet connection in
    > > present.

    > I comes bundled with some applications.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Turner
    > Email (ROT13)

    Call bullshit if you like, but I found it after only installing ZoneAlarm.
    Ad-aware
    or Spyware Blaster or McAfee or Eztrust AV didn't find issue with it. Maybe
    it comes with ZA...
    --
    I saw Elvis. He sat between
    me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

    one_red_eye, Apr 17, 2004
  8. On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:02:15 -0500, one_red_eye wrote:

    >> > backweb.exe is part of windows, it is not spyware

    >> Bullshit.
    >>
    >> > It comes with a clean OEM install

    >> Bullshit.
    >>
    >> > of windows when no internet connection in
    >> > present.

    >> I comes bundled with some applications.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Turner
    >> Email (ROT13)
    >>

    > Call bullshit if you like, but I found it after only installing ZoneAlarm.
    > Ad-aware
    > or Spyware Blaster or McAfee or Eztrust AV didn't find issue with it. Maybe
    > it comes with ZA...

    It sometimes comes with Hewlett-Packard printer software/drivers, and
    Kodak camera software/drivers and is installed even if the computer is
    NOT 'net connected. it's used to check for software updates, but YES it
    also has some spyware issues.

    IT DOES NOT COME WITH WINDOWS.

    http://www.backweb.com

    --
    Michael Turner
    Email (ROT13)

    michael turner, Apr 17, 2004
  9. Paxo

    J.K.J.M Guest

    hi,
    Backweb is an auto update program. It came with our kodak digital camera and
    some other things too. Its ok to leave!!

    J.K.J.M, Apr 17, 2004
  10. Paxo

    trout Guest

    one_red_eye wrote:

    >>> backweb.exe is part of windows, it is not spyware

    <snip>

    > Call bullshit if you like, but I found it after only installing
    > ZoneAlarm. Ad-aware
    > or Spyware Blaster or McAfee or Eztrust AV didn't find issue with it.
    > Maybe it comes with ZA...

    None of those other programs is a firewall. ZoneAlarm doesn't have
    an opinion about it, other than it's trying to call out.
    It won't necessarily be identified as spyware, as various
    manufacturers use it as part of their support/diagnostic system. The
    privacy issue is raised because its function *is* to phone home with
    information about your system. And that it does not generally do so
    transparently, and with your permission.
    This is one of the things that firewalls are for.
    --
    "And no. Not part of Windows."

    trout, Apr 17, 2004
  11. one_red_eye wrote:

    >> > backweb.exe is part of windows, it is not spyware

    >> Bullshit.

    >> > It comes with a clean OEM install

    >> Bullshit.

    >> > of windows when no internet connection in
    >> > present.

    >> I comes bundled with some applications.

    >> --
    >> Michael Turner
    >> Email (ROT13)
    >>

    > Call bullshit if you like, but I found it after only installing ZoneAlarm.
    > Ad-aware
    > or Spyware Blaster or McAfee or Eztrust AV didn't find issue with it. Maybe
    > it comes with ZA...

    Is everybody's path to Google broken? :)

    http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/B/Backweb.asp

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    The Ugliest Cars (mildly adult) http://snipurl.com/ugliest

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 17, 2004
  12. Paxo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    J, I believe HP even included it in their Pavilion computer line so they
    could remotely assist and update the computers.
    T.T.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 17, 2004
  13. Paxo

    Boomer Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > J, I believe HP even included it in their Pavilion computer line
    > so they could remotely assist and update the computers.
    > T.T.

    [snip]

    It's on my Compaq.

    Boomer, Apr 17, 2004