help on 70-218 question

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Bert Moos, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. Bert Moos

    Bert Moos Guest

    dear mcsa gurus,
    i'm just preparing for 70-218: i found the following question. can you
    please help me and explain, why answer b is correct.

    You are the administrator of a Windows 2000 domain. The domain is in native
    mode. The domain contains 15 Windows 2000 Server computers that are
    functioning as domain controllers and 1,500 Windows NT Workstation client
    computers. During a power outage, the first domain controller that you
    installed suffers a catastrophic hardware failure and will not restart.
    After the power outage, users report that password changes do not take
    effect for several hours. In addition, users are not able to log on or
    connect to resources by using their new passwords.

    What should you do to correct this problem?
    A. Using the Ntdsutil utility, connect to another domain controller and
    transfer the PDC emulator role.
    B. Using the Ntdsutil utility, connect to another domain controller and
    seize the PDC emulator role.
    C. Using the Ntdsutil utility, connect to another domain controller and
    transfer the domain naming master role.
    D. Using the Ntdsutil utility, connect to another domain controller and
    seize the domain naming master role.

    Answer: B
    Bert Moos, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Bert Moos

    cadman Guest

    Hint: Look up Windows 2000 Active Directory FSMO Roles
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197132&Product=win2000:

    There's five, you only need to worry about two: PDC emulator and domain
    naming master.

    You can only transfer roles when "losing" and "gaining" servers are online.
    You seize when "losing" server is offline. This situation kills A and C.

    You're half way there....

    cadman, Nov 20, 2003

  3. Bert Moos

    cadman Guest

    Also remember, you're dealing with Windows NT 4.0 Workstation clients, so
    you need to now what they require...

    cadman, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Bert Moos

    Bert Moos Guest

    cadman, thanx for the link and hint.

    all the best
    bert

    Bert Moos, Nov 20, 2003
  5. Bert Moos

    anonymous Guest

    Answer B is Correct Because, When the DC holding PDC
    emulator roles is in off-line no way to transfer the role
    to other DC.

    Transfer Role for PDC, the DC holding PDC emulator role
    and on-line, your case the PDC emulator is off-line, SO no
    choice, the pdc emulator role of off-line DC must be
    seized from other DC

    anonymous, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Bert Moos

    Tony Guest

    The first server installed in a W2k domain assumes a
    number of roles... one of which is the PDC emulator.
    Windows NT clients need to contact a PDC emulator (hence
    the logging on problems). To get things working again you
    would have to seize the pdc emulator role. Check out
    documentation for the 20-217 exam where this is covered.
    Tony, Dec 1, 2003