    reason when I put my cd in the drive I can't hear any music from the
    external speakers they are only working internal with my earphones.
    Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    jon, May 21, 2005

  2. jon

    FML Guest

    jon spewed forth...

    > Hello,
    > I am currently using windows 98se and have a sblive sound card. For some
    > reason when I put my cd in the drive I can't hear any music from the
    > external speakers they are only working internal with my earphones.
    > Any suggestion would be appreciated.

    Easy things first:

    Are your speakers powered? If so, are they plugged in and switched on?
    Are your speakers connected to the speaker jack on your sound card?
    I am assuming your headphones are plugged to a jack on the CD drive itself.
    Try plugging your headphones to the same jack your speakers are plugged
    into. Do your headphones work? If so, it is a speaker issue.

    If not, then there is no sound "coming out" of your sound card.
    Does the sound card appear in the device manager? Is everythink Ok?
    Rip the cover off your system. There should be a cable attached from the
    back of your CD drive to the sound card. Is it there? Is it securely
    plugged into both ends? Is the sound card properly seated?

    It oughta be one of the above.
    FML, May 21, 2005

  3. jon wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am currently using windows 98se and have a sblive sound card. For some
    > reason when I put my cd in the drive I can't hear any music from the
    > external speakers they are only working internal with my earphones.
    > Any suggestion would be appreciated.

    Open the computer, there should be a small cable going from the back of
    the CDROM to the sound card. If it's integrated sound (built in to the
    motherboard) then it plugs from CDROM into the motherboard. If there's
    not a cable there, anybody that tinkers with computers should have an
    extra for you.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 21, 2005
  4. jon

    sbb78247 Guest

    jon wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am currently using windows 98se and have a sblive sound card. For
    > some reason when I put my cd in the drive I can't hear any music from
    > the external speakers they are only working internal with my
    > earphones.
    > Any suggestion would be appreciated.

    nope, you're screwed, give it up
    --

    sbb78247

    Speak the truth and leave shortly there after.
    sbb78247, May 21, 2005
  5. jon

    jon Guest

    "FML" <> wrote in message
    > jon spewed forth...
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I am currently using windows 98se and have a sblive sound card. For some
    > > reason when I put my cd in the drive I can't hear any music from the
    > > external speakers they are only working internal with my earphones.
    > > Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    > >

    > Easy things first:
    >
    > Are your speakers powered? If so, are they plugged in and switched on?
    > Are your speakers connected to the speaker jack on your sound card?
    > I am assuming your headphones are plugged to a jack on the CD drive

    itself.
    > Try plugging your headphones to the same jack your speakers are plugged
    > into. Do your headphones work? If so, it is a speaker issue.
    >
    > If not, then there is no sound "coming out" of your sound card.
    > Does the sound card appear in the device manager? Is everythink Ok?
    > Rip the cover off your system. There should be a cable attached from the
    > back of your CD drive to the sound card. Is it there? Is it securely
    > plugged into both ends? Is the sound card properly seated?
    >
    > It oughta be one of the above.

    Thanks I checked everything as you mentioned and all seems to be ok. The
    funny thing is that midi and wav files all plays ok externally except cd
    files.
    jon, May 21, 2005
  6. jon

    FML Guest

    jon spewed forth...

    <snip>

    >> jon spewed forth...

    > Thanks I checked everything as you mentioned and all seems to be ok.
    > The funny thing is that midi and wav files all plays ok externally
    > except cd files.

    well, if midi and wav files are playing thru the speakers ok then it is
    probably not the speakers or the sound card.

    When you double click on the speaker icon in your system tray and the
    volume control app opens, the volume on CD audio in turned up (the slider
    is at least half way up) and it is NOT muted?

    Otherwise, I'd suspect the cable from the CD drive to the sound card. Is it
    plugged into the right place on both ends? You may try replacing it
    (usually cheap if not free at your local pc hardware shop).

    It could be other things. Next I'd try replacing the cd drive with a known
    working one and if that doesn't do it, replacing the sound card with a
    known good one.

    HTH
    FML, May 21, 2005
  7. jon

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > jon wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >> I am currently using windows 98se and have a sblive sound card. For some
    >> reason when I put my cd in the drive I can't hear any music from the
    >> external speakers they are only working internal with my earphones.
    >> Any suggestion would be appreciated.

    > Open the computer, there should be a small cable going from the back of
    > the CDROM to the sound card. If it's integrated sound (built in to the
    > motherboard) then it plugs from CDROM into the motherboard. If there's
    > not a cable there, anybody that tinkers with computers should have an
    > extra for you.

    Which version of Windows did away with that cable, and instead
    transferred audio over the IDE bus? I can't recall having to have used
    it for years.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 21, 2005
  8. Oldus Fartus wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> jon wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I am currently using windows 98se and have a sblive sound card. For some
    >>> reason when I put my cd in the drive I can't hear any music from the
    >>> external speakers they are only working internal with my earphones.
    >>> Any suggestion would be appreciated.

    >> Open the computer, there should be a small cable going from the back
    >> of the CDROM to the sound card. If it's integrated sound (built in to
    >> the motherboard) then it plugs from CDROM into the motherboard. If
    >> there's not a cable there, anybody that tinkers with computers should
    >> have an extra for you.

    > Which version of Windows did away with that cable, and instead
    > transferred audio over the IDE bus? I can't recall having to have used
    > it for years.

    Not 98. I know XP doesn't require it, not sure offhand about 2K.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 21, 2005
  9. jon

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >
    >> Rôgêr wrote:

    >>> Open the computer, there should be a small cable going from the back
    >>> of the CDROM to the sound card. If it's integrated sound (built in to
    >>> the motherboard) then it plugs from CDROM into the motherboard. If
    >>> there's not a cable there, anybody that tinkers with computers should
    >>> have an extra for you.

    >> Which version of Windows did away with that cable, and instead
    >> transferred audio over the IDE bus? I can't recall having to have
    >> used it for years.

    > Not 98. I know XP doesn't require it, not sure offhand about 2K.

    Thanks, I really can't remember - I know Me didn't need the cable, but
    not sure with 98SE.

    (How soon we forget!)

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 21, 2005
  10. jon

    old jon Guest

    Try unplugging the headphones, as they can mute the speakers.If not that,
    check in audio setup. best wishes..J

    old jon, May 21, 2005
  11. jon

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    old jon wrote:
    > Try unplugging the headphones, as they can mute the speakers.If not that,
    > check in audio setup. best wishes..J

    Don't need to oj, my speakers and headphones are working fine.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 21, 2005
  12. jon

    old jon Guest

    Sorry OF. best wishes.. OJ<g>

    old jon, May 21, 2005
  13. jon

    jon Guest

    "FML" <> wrote in message
    > jon spewed forth...
    >
    > Easy things first:
    >
    > Are your speakers powered? If so, are they plugged in and switched on?
    > Are your speakers connected to the speaker jack on your sound card?
    > I am assuming your headphones are plugged to a jack on the CD drive

    itself.
    > Try plugging your headphones to the same jack your speakers are plugged
    > into. Do your headphones work? If so, it is a speaker issue.
    >
    > If not, then there is no sound "coming out" of your sound card.
    > Does the sound card appear in the device manager? Is everythink Ok?
    > Rip the cover off your system. There should be a cable attached from the
    > back of your CD drive to the sound card.

    That was the problem the tech guy forgot to but a cable from the cd drive to
    the sound card.
    jon, May 21, 2005