Help -- Newcomer with region problem ?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by PJ, May 28, 2006.

  1. PJ

    PJ Guest

    New here.

    Rental major studio discs from Hollywood Video are marked Region 1 on
    box and on disk. Will not playback on Philips DVD player (player
    message says, "Disc error, manually eject disk, playback may not be
    enabled on this disc.")

    These rentals will playback on my HP laptop and on wife's iBook. Philips
    claims that although the disk is marked Region One, it may have been
    made outside the U.S. and their, "very stringent" copy protection won't
    recognize the disc.

    Note: Other DVD-video discs like workout lessons work fine in the Philips.

    Hollywood Video has been quite nice in making exchanges and refunding money.

    HP laptop is new and has 'automatic regionalization' Did I just screw
    up the laptop by playing a bogus DVD??

    Any clues??

    --
    PJ

    PJ, May 28, 2006

  2. PJ

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 15:57:48 -0700, PJ <> wrote:

    >New here.
    >
    >Rental major studio discs from Hollywood Video are marked Region 1 on
    >box and on disk. Will not playback on Philips DVD player (player
    >message says, "Disc error, manually eject disk, playback may not be
    >enabled on this disc.")
    >
    >These rentals will playback on my HP laptop and on wife's iBook. Philips
    >claims that although the disk is marked Region One, it may have been
    >made outside the U.S. and their, "very stringent" copy protection won't
    >recognize the disc.
    >
    >Note: Other DVD-video discs like workout lessons work fine in the Philips.
    >
    >Hollywood Video has been quite nice in making exchanges and refunding money.
    >
    >HP laptop is new and has 'automatic regionalization' Did I just screw
    >up the laptop by playing a bogus DVD??
    >
    >Any clues??

    It would have been nice if you had said WHICH Philips player, since
    there are over 100 Philips models sold in North America, but assuming
    it's the ever-popular DVP-642 here's the region hack entries. Some
    discs require the player to have a region set, rather than be
    region-free.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Philips DVP 642

    ... Steve ..

    Steve, May 29, 2006