    but really don't know how to implement same...

    Saul
    (Birmingham, UK)

    Saul, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Saul

    Nick S Guest

    Saul wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have been lurking for a while prior to asking questions about the

    digicam I am thinking of buying, but now I am alarmed to see threads like
    "Jews and Photography".

    <snip>

    Saul
    (Birmingham, UK)

    Saul - it helps to be a little thick skinned when using Usenet but by and
    large this particular group are friendly and are a knowledgeable and helpful
    bunch of guys and ladies - don't give up on it because of what a few morons
    have to say!

    Anyway - what camera were you thinking of buying?!

    Nick S, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Saul

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Saul" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have been lurking for a while prior to asking questions about the
    > digicam I am thinking of buying, but now I am alarmed to see threads
    > like "Jews and Photography".
    >
    > Could you tell me whether there as an equivalent moderated group? I
    > don't see why I should put up with anti-semitism on Usenet when all I
    > want is information.
    >
    > I am rather new to all of this and have a program called Agent - how
    > can I suppress such racist nonsense? I have read about kill files,
    > but really don't know how to implement same...
    >
    > Saul
    > (Birmingham, UK)

    These moronic posts are the exception, rather than the rule here. Don't let
    them put you off. Also, please note that there is only _one_ poster who is
    making antisemitic statements (well, two). Everyone else is just as sick of
    it as you are.

    I'm afraid I can't help you with Agent. I'm sure it has a killfile
    capability. Just add the posters' names to the killfile who you want to
    surpress and you'll find your left with only good discussion about digital
    photography.

    PTRAVEL, Aug 4, 2003
  4. "Saul" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have been lurking for a while prior to asking questions about the
    > digicam I am thinking of buying, but now I am alarmed to see threads
    > like "Jews and Photography".
    >
    > Could you tell me whether there as an equivalent moderated group? I
    > don't see why I should put up with anti-semitism on Usenet when all I
    > want is information.
    >
    > I am rather new to all of this and have a program called Agent - how
    > can I suppress such racist nonsense? I have read about kill files,
    > but really don't know how to implement same...
    >
    > Saul
    > (Birmingham, UK)

    In Agent, left click on a message that someone posted and you feel that
    person needs to be killfiled--- when the post is highlighted, right click on
    that message and go down to filters--- when you get to it, "add kill
    filter" should pop up as an option---click on that and you should get a box
    titled "Add Usenet filter". Then, choose the delete radio button under Kill
    Action and hit OK--- it should prompt you for confirmation with a message
    stating how many total messages it found from that person and are you sure
    you want to delete them? Click yes, and that person is gone for GOOD!!

    Everytime someone responds to those kinds of posts, you stroke the ego of
    the offending character doing it. Don't respond to the trolls!!! Killfile
    them, or just ignore the thread completely--- don't comment on how they
    offend you--- that's what they want to hear; they know then that they are
    shocking you or possibly making you angry or disgusted with the entire
    group. Don't give them that power!! Lots of good posts and people here---
    don't let a few worm ridden swine ruin it for you!!

    On to more pleasant things-- please do tell us about your potential
    purchase. {:)

    Digicam zealot, Aug 4, 2003

  5. > Could you tell me whether there as an equivalent moderated group? I
    > don't see why I should put up with anti-semitism on Usenet when all I
    > want is information.

    You could try the moderated forum at www.dpreview.com--- people get along
    there, or they are removed from the forum permanently!!

    They have different specific groups (Canon, Nikon, etc.), so you can hang
    out in the specific area of interest to you.
    You can also register and post messages, but they do have a long set of
    rules about what they will and will NOT tolerate. I like their groups so
    far; and the detailed camera reviews are a great source of info. also!

    Check it out when you can!

    Digicam zealot, Aug 4, 2003
  6. > No one should put up with any form of ethnicism or racism ever. Here or
    > anywhere else. This is a very good newsgroup. I have enjoyed it for
    > months, and it helped me in my decision toward a camera purchase. The
    > friendly fencing between Canon, Sony, Olympus, Fuji, etc. users is
    > informative and often amusing.

    Couldn't you think of all of them as being from different races? The Canon
    people, those Olympus people, etc?
    And when a Canon gets on top of an Olympus or Nikon, isn't that just like
    racists? "You Nikon people are all alike." "Canons are better and superior
    to Sonys." etc.

    Just as fun and amusing as comparing brands of people. :)

    Jon Wordsworth, Aug 5, 2003
  7. Saul

    Weng Leong Guest

    Marvin Margoshes wrote:

    > There are a few who are consistent offendors. Block them; I assume
    > you can do that with Agent.

    IMO the real problem occurs when people forget that they are not supposed to
    respond to the troll. So while the troll is blocked, you still get the
    more colorful toppings by responders. Then again, I suspect many people
    actually enjoy bantering with trolls. <Shrugs> :)

    - Weng Leong

    Weng Leong, Aug 6, 2003