    format. The Muller 15th Edition is not a good book to teach students from
    though we use it as a referance source.

    Any help will be appreaciated.

    Keith Heathcote, Nov 14, 2003

  2. I do have my own marterials to follow, however there is a need for a book
    for students to be able to refer to that covers the Comptia's requirements.
    Especially now that the exams have been changed.

    Having upto 150 students enrolled doing our Diploma in Compting at one time,
    which incorporates A+, Network plus, MCP and Symantec Security Architect
    means that texts need to be chosen with care.

    The mike myers book is an excellect referance, but its size and cost
    ($NZ150) makes is impractable for day use. My students are not studying to
    be weight lifters.

    The Mike Myers A+ Passport is a good book that covers much of the eixting
    course but since XP an ME is included a referance is required.

    Mike Myers had a technicans study guide available previously but that has
    now become dated and there seems to be no plans for a new release.

    I am looking for suggestions for the A+ student text

    Keith Heathcote, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Keith Heathcote

    John Dearing Guest

    Keith Heathcote wrote:

    > Can someone tell me what good texts are out there to cover the A+ Exam
    > Syllabus.

    If you haven't already, take a look at the stuff from Course Technology
    (www.course.com). I'm using the Jean Andrews book in the classes I teach
    and it is really quite thorough. As an educational institution you
    should be able to do about a 50% discount on purchasing the books.

    In addition to having excellent texts, Course Technology has first rate
    instructional support, sample syllabi, powerpoint slides to accompany
    the text, additional testing materials, etc, etc....

    While it's certainly no substitute for your own mateerials, it can be a
    wonderful start or adjunct to your program.

    There is also another site, www.courseilt.com which has additional
    materials designed specifically for the Instructor Lead Training (the
    "ilt" part of courseilt) industry.

    Check them out and see if their materials would be helpful to you.

    DISCLAIMER - I am just an instructor using their materials. I have no
    financial interest in Thompson or Course Technology.

    John Dearing
    --
    A+, Network+

    John Dearing, Nov 18, 2003
  4. just bought a book a couple of days ago called "All In One..A+
    Certification Exam Guide 5th Edition" By Michael Meyers. It seems like a
    very good book and from the bookstore I buy my books from notes it has the
    highest sales.

    Hope it helps and good luck, I am finally studying again for mine too. I was
    close to taking the old test a couple months ago but didnt take it...Now Im
    starting over :)

    Take care,

    Sinatra Williams, Nov 18, 2003
  5. On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:04:33 +1300, "Keith Heathcote"
    <> wrote:

    >Can someone tell me what good texts are out there to cover the A+ Exam
    >Syllabus.
    >
    >There is no updated Mike Myers or Scott Muller available in a study guide
    >format. The Muller 15th Edition is not a good book to teach students from
    >though we use it as a referance source.
    >
    >Any help will be appreaciated.

    Hello Keith,

    A new edition of the A+ Passport book will be out soon (looks like
    mid-December at this point), so I hope that will fill your needs. This
    book--which is, as you note, more economical and portable than the
    All-In-One--has likewise been updated for the new CompTIA A+
    competencies.

    Side note: I forwarded your inquiry about group sales to our marketing
    guru, who should reply shortly. Also, as you're teaching A+, I wanted
    to suggest that you see the "Teacher Central" area of the Total
    Seminars web site ... you might find some of the discussions and
    resources there to be of interest. The Teacher Central link is on the
    main page, near the top right corner.

    Cheers,

    Cindy Clayton
    Total Seminars, LLC
    www.totalsem.com

    Cindy Clayton, Nov 18, 2003
  6. Cindy...

    Thanks for the info...I have Mike Meyers A+ Certification 5th Ed. on my desk
    as I am typing this message. It does mention the some new course data like
    xp which is not on other books with the 2001 versions. Is it not good for
    training purposes or you have a better reccommendation?

    Im curious...

    Thanks,

    Sinatra Williams, Nov 19, 2003
  7. On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:03:53 GMT, "Sinatra Williams"
    <> wrote:

    >Cindy...
    >
    >Thanks for the info...I have Mike Meyers A+ Certification 5th Ed. on my desk
    >as I am typing this message. It does mention the some new course data like
    >xp which is not on other books with the 2001 versions. Is it not good for
    >training purposes or you have a better reccommendation?
    >
    >Im curious...

    The Fifth Edition of the All-In-One book covers the objectives for the
    new A+ exams. This includes not only Windows XP, but lots of other
    meaty topics such as wireless communication and all the latest
    hardware advances.

    As of next week, these objectives will be the ones that CompTIA tests
    you on for A+ Certification ... so this book should be right on course
    if you're currently studying to take your exams.

    Cheers,

    Cindy Clayton
    Total Seminars, LLC
    www.totalsem.com