Help: network troubleshooting?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Pleb Plebian, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Pleb Plebian

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    Hi all;
    Have a weird problem:
    Am reinstalling WinME on my laptop (new HDD) - and re the OS, yeah, I know
    :) -can ping, see my router, log on to the 'net etc etc via the hardwired
    line - but on the wireless card (Netgear MA521) - can connect to other
    machines on the network, move files etc - but _can't_ access the router _or_
    ping anything, even the machines I can see and move files around in in
    Network Places.

    TCP/IP is the only protocol installed, have different IP's (on same subnet)
    assigned to ea adapter (but only use 1 at a time - eg shut down, unplug the
    hard line, plug in PC wireless card, reboot) - can't for the life of me
    figure this out.

    Would understand if another protocol (eg NetBEUI) was installed and bound to
    the wireless card, with TCP/IP being fully operational on the hardwired
    card....but its not.....
    Have client for MS Networks and File and Print sharing for MS Networks
    installed: both are bound to TCP/IP on both adapters.

    Have installed and deinstalled wireless card/drivers/config utility 3 times
    now - has me stumped.
    (Reinstalling the old HDD, the card works perfectly - so its not a HW
    fault).
    Have ZoneAlarm installed but disabled until I get this running....

    Any ideas anyone?

    TIA for any and all suggestions - bar 'install Linux/some other OS' ;-)

    Pleb Plebian, Oct 21, 2004