Help needed

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by spodosaurus, May 18, 2004.

  1. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    sam wrote:
    > Machine has frozen and will not reboot. Message to screen is "no signal
    > input or cable disconnected". I have checked cabling and find no problem. I
    > have connected monitor to another computer and it works ok. I have removed
    > video card and tried in another computer and it seems ok. I tried different
    > hard drive and still no success in booting.
    >
    > Motherboard is Asus P4T-E.
    >
    > I am running XP.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be graciously accepted.

    Is anything happening? Are the fans spinning when you try and power on?
    Does anything come up on the monitor at all when you try and power on?
    Have you checked to make sure that the RAM is seated properly? Any
    strange smells from the PSU or inside the case? Is your motherboard
    under warranty *grin*?

    --
    remove the underscores to unmung the email address...

    spodosaurus, May 18, 2004

  2. spodosaurus

    mark mandell Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message
    > Machine has frozen and will not reboot. Message to screen is "no signal
    > input or cable disconnected". I have checked cabling and find no problem.

    > have connected monitor to another computer and it works ok. I have removed
    > video card and tried in another computer and it seems ok. I tried

    different
    > hard drive and still no success in booting.
    >
    > Motherboard is Asus P4T-E.
    >
    > I am running XP.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be graciously accepted.

    Have you tried rebooting to the Startup menu and checked it out in Safe Mode
    or "last known good configuration" to see if it still remained frozen then?
    Also check for spyware through Spybot S & D as well as Ad Aware.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandell, May 19, 2004

  3. spodosaurus

    Plato Guest

    sam wrote:

    > Machine has frozen and will not reboot. Message to screen is "no signal
    > input or cable disconnected". I have checked cabling and find no problem. I
    > have connected monitor to another computer and it works ok. I have removed
    > video card and tried in another computer and it seems ok. I tried different
    > hard drive and still no success in booting.

    It could just be the classic problem getting the AGP card to seat
    properly.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 19, 2004
  4. spodosaurus

    SmakDaddy Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message
    > Machine has frozen and will not reboot. Message to screen is "no signal
    > input or cable disconnected". I have checked cabling and find no problem.

    > have connected monitor to another computer and it works ok. I have removed
    > video card and tried in another computer and it seems ok. I tried

    different
    > hard drive and still no success in booting.

    if possible, try to move the ram about a bit. ie, if you have one piece, try
    it in a different slot, if you have 2, try just 1 at a time in various
    different slots. Also, try a different power supply.

    sam, May 19, 2004
  6. spodosaurus

    Global_Killa Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message
    > Machine has frozen and will not reboot. Message to screen is "no signal
    > input or cable disconnected". I have checked cabling and find no problem.

    > have connected monitor to another computer and it works ok. I have removed
    > video card and tried in another computer and it seems ok. I tried

    different
    > hard drive and still no success in booting.
    >
    > Motherboard is Asus P4T-E.
    >
    > I am running XP.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be graciously accepted.

    When you power up your computer, can you hear it start to load Windows, or
    does nothing happen?

    Usually if the RAM isn't seated properly, like some people are saying might
    be the problem, the computer will beep (well in all the computers I have
    seen with incorrectly fitted RAM).

    I had a problem with two of my computers, where the monitor wouldn't work.
    It turns out, with both of them, that the motherboard had gone.

    Buy a new motherboard? That's what I did, works a treat now.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk

    Global_Killa, May 19, 2004
  7. spodosaurus

    WebWalker Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:53:18 +1000, "sam" <> wrote:

    >Machine has frozen and will not reboot. Message to screen is "no signal
    >input or cable disconnected". I have checked cabling and find no problem. I
    >have connected monitor to another computer and it works ok. I have removed
    >video card and tried in another computer and it seems ok. I tried different
    >hard drive and still no success in booting.
    >
    >Motherboard is Asus P4T-E.
    >
    >I am running XP.
    >
    >Any suggestions will be graciously accepted.

    Heard any beeps?

    --
    WebWalker

    PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279

    WebWalker, May 19, 2004
  8. spodosaurus

    Maybird Guest

    "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    <snipped>
    > I had a problem with two of my computers, where the monitor wouldn't work.
    > It turns out, with both of them, that the motherboard had gone.

    Yes, that was what happened to me too. At first, we thought the monitor
    problem, so change another one, but still no display, so we suspect the
    display card and go replace it, still same outcome. At last, we unplug
    everything out (including hard disk), and only found the motherboard was
    died.

    Maybird, May 20, 2004
  9. spodosaurus

    Wayne Reid Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message
    > Machine has frozen and will not reboot. Message to screen is "no signal
    > input or cable disconnected". I have checked cabling and find no problem.

    > have connected monitor to another computer and it works ok. I have removed
    > video card and tried in another computer and it seems ok. I tried

    different
    > hard drive and still no success in booting.
    >
    > Motherboard is Asus P4T-E.

    Have you made any recent changes - hardware or software?

    Have you checked that all cards (esp the video card) are seated properly?
    Remove them all, placing them back one at a time beginning with the video
    card - try to boot the PC each time.

    The message you get is what the monitor will show if it is powered up but
    not plugged into the video card.

    WR

    Wayne Reid, May 20, 2004
  10. spodosaurus

    r@d@r

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    ASUS P4T-E mobo dies...

    I am looking for my third socket 478 P4T-E now... This started out as such a good board [instantly overclocked my 1.6 to 2.2] but now I hate it.

    I had exactly the same experience as above, both times the mobo died and computer would not reboot... fans/drives powered on fine, no beeps... Tried new everything (piecewise) not suspecting the mobo until that was all that was left. R^2 mobo and everything works again - yea! (until that one died again now 1yr later).

    Now I am stuck with a bunch of RDRAM and a top-end AGP video card that still has a lot of (half)life in it... Any suggestions (these boards are hard to find).

    r@d@r, Aug 25, 2006