Help needed with Techjet, Canon, HP, Heidi Wide-Format-Printer, Plotter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by goonmunster, May 20, 2006.

  1. goonmunster

    goonmunster Guest

    Please help me with the following problems. I recently received a
    TechJet 5336 PS w/ postscript option. I am making the Techjet
    available to our local Resident/Community Association to print posters
    11x17 - 36x48 which are placed at various locations in the community,
    in relation to various events.

    I've been experimenting with various drivers and found that the Canon
    W3050 - W9000, HP GL/2, HP 750C/PS all work with to some degree with
    the Techjet 5336 under win2000 and/or Linux and/or OSX. However, I
    noticed that it takes a very long time to print. This appears to be
    related to the page-at-a-time mechanism used to print.

    Does anyone know of other compatible
    Postscript/CAD/Canon/Epson/Techjet/HP/Other drivers that work with the
    Techjet 5336 PS that might work with the printer, under linux, win2k,
    or winxp.

    Does anyone know whether or not other manufacturers used a compatible
    print-engine?

    Can anyone tell me the difference between the Techjet 5336, 5436, 5636
    print engines?

    Does anyone know where I can find line-at-a-time drivers that might
    work with the Techject 5336? Is there a way to con vine one of the
    previously mentioned page-at-a-time drivers to print to the Techjet
    5336 one line-at-a-time?

    Does anyone know where I can find a relatively new compatible ROM for
    the Techjet 5336?

    The documentation says that the Techjet 5336 can accept upto 64 MB of
    memory. In my experience the documented memory limit may be exceeded,
    is that the case for the Techjet 5336?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Please and Thank You

    The Brockton Initiative
    http://brockton.dyndns.org

    goonmunster, May 20, 2006

  2. goonmunster

    tomm42 Guest

    With large format printing there are a lot of variables. The printer
    being only one of the them other things to consider are:
    1. connection to the printer, network the fastest, parallel the slowest
    2. rip time, how long it takes your software to creat the printer's
    file, postscript is slow, try creating a pdf file and use that, pdf is
    a varient of postscript and may eliminate that road block.
    3. Computer processor, slower the computer, the slower the rip time.
    Though the rip software controls this to a greater extent, the software
    may need a fast processor.
    4. More RAM than you think you need 2GB would be fine, 1 GB marginal
    5. Unfortunately RIPs for printers are expensive, with whats included
    with the printer generally being marginal. Expect to spend $1K-4K USD
    for a specialized RIP, forget about downloading something.

    Tom

    tomm42, May 21, 2006