    Is there anything else I can try?
    Thanks in advance.
    Arawak
    Arawak, Aug 20, 2009

  2. In message <>, Arawak wrote:
    > Short of completely reformatting my primary hard drive that has ton
    > loads of critical info, what can I do to irradicate whatever is
    > affecting my computer?

    Thermite? Oh wait...you want non-destructive means...

    > I bought McAfee and installed it but it will not update.

    LULZ! They suck, fyi.

    > I installed
    > Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy but they can't update themselves
    > either.

    Hosts file is teh 1nf3c70r3d :)

    > I have gone to various websites like Symantec to run the
    > online virus detectors but they are unable to even begin the check.

    Somwon pwn3d yer hosts file, mate.
    Prolly cant dl the updated scripts...

    > Is there anything else I can try?

    Smoak a fatty...then go here: www.pchell.com

    Lotsa instructables.

    > Thanks in advance.
    > Arawak

    Pay it forward.
    ^_^

    --
    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 20, 2009

  3. Probably not what you want to hear... but you're screwed and you'll have
    less headaches if you start fresh.

    If it got this bad then you have probably have a few different
    viruses/trojans and not just one. Who knows how much damage has been done.
    Easier to start over - put that operating system out of it's misery and
    start out fresh with proper protection so it doesn't happen again. It's
    worth learn how to reinstall because you'll need to do it once every few
    years anyways. Avoid keeping critical data on the same drive as your
    operating system, grab yourself a USB stick or a usb harddrive and backup
    critical data there so when you have to reinstall it's not that big a deal.

    Goodluck

    news.astraweb.com, Aug 20, 2009
  4. The Fake Thieving Truth Not-Ever-an-MVP wrote:

    > Use my Remove-it software, it will remove that malware from your
    > system.

    What malware? He didn't say what malware it might be infected with.

    Do you think the script you stole and renamed "Remove-it" is capable?

    > "Arawak" <> wrote:
    >> Short of completely reformatting my primary hard drive that has ton
    >> loads of critical info, what can I do to irradicate whatever is
    >> affecting my computer?

    "whatever is..." It may be a zero-day virus.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 20, 2009
  5. The Real Truth MVP wrote:

    > What part of ...

    Since the OP did not name any *filenames* - which your stolen script
    looks for, how do you know it will fix whatever might be wrong? You
    know, a filename such as: obatssrsghde.exe

    Never mind, you understand none of it.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 21, 2009
  6. Arawak

    Arawak Guest

    On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:42:06 -0700, "The Real Truth MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >Use my Remove-it software, it will remove that malware from your system.
    >Choose yes for all options when prompted. Download it here
    >http://www.ms-mvp.org/

    I'm running Vista 32bit so this suggestion will not work. I was able
    to find a manual updade for Spybot Search & Destroy which did find the
    Virtumonde + Zlob.DNS.rtk Trojans, plus Malware like
    Win32.TDSS.reg/.rtk. Most were removed and I was able to get my
    anti-virus and other programs like Ad-ware to update themselves.
    After rebooting I will see the the last 4 programs being used by the
    system are also removed before trying a total re-install of the OS.
    Fingeers crossed and breath held.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Arawak
    Arawak, Aug 21, 2009