Help needed with partition problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Robert

    Robert Guest

    The problem is with a partition which gives the following error
    message when attempting to access it in Windows Explorer.

    "F:\ is not accessible, A device attached to the system is
    not functioning"

    The partition contains data which i wish to recover.

    This situation is a result of resizing the partition with
    Partition Magic 8.0.
    Checking the partition with Partition Magic shows no
    errors and gives the partition type as FAT32.
    with the disk label "DSK1_VOL4"

    Information for the partition shows the following:
    3,869,417,472 bytes in 9,531files (2 hidden files)
    1,212,416 bytes in 148 directories (1 hidden directories)

    I believe that the above info indicates that the contents
    of the partition are still in existence.

    Using FDISK shows the drive type as unknown
    and has no disk label.

    My OS is Windows 98SE.

    Can anyone offer any suggestions or help please?

    If replying by email remove block from
    email address.

    Robert, Jul 5, 2004

  2. Robert wrote:
    > This situation is a result of resizing the partition with
    > Partition Magic 8.0.

    > Can anyone offer any suggestions or help please?

    sure, simply restore from the backups that partition magic tells you to
    make prior to doing anything.

    seriously, try shoving the Hdd in an XP machine, Im not certain, but I
    think that there are different versions of Fat32, as XP seems to read
    some that 9x/2k cant for some reason.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Robert

    Chris Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in

    > Robert wrote:
    >> This situation is a result of resizing the partition with
    >> Partition Magic 8.0.

    >> Can anyone offer any suggestions or help please?

    > sure, simply restore from the backups that partition magic tells you to
    > make prior to doing anything.
    >
    > seriously, try shoving the Hdd in an XP machine, Im not certain, but I
    > think that there are different versions of Fat32, as XP seems to read
    > some that 9x/2k cant for some reason.

    What about using Knoppix running from a CD ROM ? Just an idea, have only
    run Knoppix once.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jul 5, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    says...
    > The problem is with a partition which gives the following error
    > message when attempting to access it in Windows Explorer.
    >
    > "F:\ is not accessible, A device attached to the system is
    > not functioning"
    >
    > The partition contains data which i wish to recover.
    >
    > This situation is a result of resizing the partition with
    > Partition Magic 8.0.
    > Checking the partition with Partition Magic shows no
    > errors and gives the partition type as FAT32.
    > with the disk label "DSK1_VOL4"
    >
    > Information for the partition shows the following:
    > 3,869,417,472 bytes in 9,531files (2 hidden files)
    > 1,212,416 bytes in 148 directories (1 hidden directories)
    >
    > I believe that the above info indicates that the contents
    > of the partition are still in existence.
    >
    > Using FDISK shows the drive type as unknown
    > and has no disk label.
    >
    > My OS is Windows 98SE.
    >
    > Can anyone offer any suggestions or help please?

    We presume you backed up all your data before resizing the partition.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 5, 2004
  5. In article <>, Dave@_no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    says...
    > Robert wrote:
    > > This situation is a result of resizing the partition with
    > > Partition Magic 8.0.

    > > Can anyone offer any suggestions or help please?

    > sure, simply restore from the backups that partition magic tells you to
    > make prior to doing anything.
    >
    > seriously, try shoving the Hdd in an XP machine, Im not certain, but I
    > think that there are different versions of Fat32, as XP seems to read
    > some that 9x/2k cant for some reason.

    How many clusters does it have?

    9x has the cluster limit that ME doesn't have.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 5, 2004
  6. In article <>, no@e-m-
    a-i-l.com says...
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in
    >
    > > Robert wrote:
    > >> This situation is a result of resizing the partition with
    > >> Partition Magic 8.0.

    > >> Can anyone offer any suggestions or help please?

    > > sure, simply restore from the backups that partition magic tells you to
    > > make prior to doing anything.
    > >
    > > seriously, try shoving the Hdd in an XP machine, Im not certain, but I
    > > think that there are different versions of Fat32, as XP seems to read
    > > some that 9x/2k cant for some reason.
    > >

    > What about using Knoppix running from a CD ROM ? Just an idea, have only
    > run Knoppix once.

    or BartsPE

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 5, 2004
  7. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Thanks for your replies.
    I have not made a backup of the drive.

    This is a logical drive in an extended partition
    which has free space available.
    Partition Magic has an option to copy a partition
    which is one possible solution provided that
    Windows or FDISK dont have the same error
    with the copy.

    I also have boot disks for RedHat 9
    and Debian 3.0r2 which both include
    partition software that could be usefull.

    The contents of the partition are not
    critical but I think if I am carefull
    that they can be restored.

    Robert, Jul 5, 2004
  8. Robert

    Robert Guest

    I had a similar issue when I increased my NTFS cluster size (W2K).
    Explorer wouldn't read it but disk administrator knew about it & partition
    magic still new about it.
    Found the option in disk administrator to remount the drive.
    Maybe if you mounted the drive as a slave unit of a W2K or XP machine you
    could recover it.

    -------

    Robert, Jul 9, 2004