    Any help would be great.

    many thanks,

    Davina

    Davina Smith, Jun 12, 2004

  2. Davina Smith

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you since replaced the battery?

    Have you set the CORRECT drive specs in the BIOS?

    If you drive has physically bad sectors, they will
    have been marked bad by the format routine, so
    you will lose some space that way.

    It's possible that the second drive might also be bad.

    Hope it's not the controller card.

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 21:42:34 +0100, in
    <>
    Davina Smith scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Davina Smith

    philo Guest

    &
    > format but i am having the same problem does anyone have any ideas?? there
    > is only 1 IDE slot on the board which is plugged into the drive...
    > I've tried setting the bios so that they match the settings for the

    drive...

    if the battery went bad....it could have lost the settings for the harddrive

    replace the battery and see if the machine as auto detect...
    if so give that a try

    otherwise just set the parameters manually

    philo, Jun 12, 2004
  4. Davina Smith

    Fatboy Guest

    Like Mike said :)

    Battery/bios settings//Whats the boot up error you get ??

    Fatboy, Jun 12, 2004
  5. Davina Smith

    BEAU Guest

    You certainly do need help if a 486 is all you have!

    BEAU, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Davina Smith

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 21:42:34 +0100, "Davina Smith" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Can anyone help me we have a 486pc.

    No sorry. You need more help than we can offer.

    about 4 or 5 months ago the battery
    >stopped working but the machine worked fine.
    >
    >About 2 weeks ago the drive looked like it failed as when booting up the
    >computer errored at boot.. with boot error. I fdisk the drive reformatted
    >it. but it doesnt see it at all now.
    >I was given a drive from work which was a 620meg drive I put this in fdisk &
    >format but i am having the same problem does anyone have any ideas?? there
    >is only 1 IDE slot on the board which is plugged into the drive...
    >I've tried setting the bios so that they match the settings for the drive...
    >
    >Any help would be great.
    >
    >many thanks,
    >
    >Davina

    -Barry