    pertinent to MS office.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Feb 23, 2006

  2. joevan

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:29:54 GMT, joevan wrote:

    >I keep coming up with the following when I try to set up windows
    >defender on my xp machine.
    >
    >This package could not be opened
    >verify that this is a valid installer package .

    Corrupt download try again, if your web browser uses a proxy try
    deselecting the proxy option and d/l again.

    If you don't have XP SP2 and / or the MS Update SIte , updates you may
    not have the newest MS Installer v 3.0 or 3.1 installed.

    >I read on google that one of kaspeskys updates cause a problem with
    >the antispyware from MS.
    >I tried to find an answer through google but only found pages
    >pertinent to MS office.

    It's still MSI and pretty much the same sort of issues even though you
    found info for Office.

    >Any help would be appreciated.

    Me
    why?, Feb 23, 2006

  3. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:55:56 GMT, why?

    >On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:29:54 GMT, joevan wrote:
    >

    >>I keep coming up with the following when I try to set up windows
    >>defender on my xp machine.
    >>
    >>This package could not be opened
    >>verify that this is a valid installer package .

    >Corrupt download try again, if your web browser uses a proxy try
    >deselecting the proxy option and d/l again.
    >
    >If you don't have XP SP2 and / or the MS Update SIte , updates you may
    >not have the newest MS Installer v 3.0 or 3.1 installed.
    >
    >>I read on google that one of kaspeskys updates cause a problem with
    >>the antispyware from MS.
    >>I tried to find an answer through google but only found pages
    >>pertinent to MS office.

    >It's still MSI and pretty much the same sort of issues even though you
    >found info for Office.
    >
    >>Any help would be appreciated.

    >Me

    Everything is updated and I am not using a proxy.
    I have sp2 and all ms updates through today. 3.1 is in the files and
    to make sure I reinstalled it a little while ago and nothing
    different.
    I recall a couple of days ago that the ms antspywarebeta started
    acting differently. I tried to open it and it wouldn't completly open.
    Then I clicked the icon again and it opened but not normally.
    I finally deleted it through add remove programs. That was when I
    noticed that I could not get the defender program to set up.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Feb 23, 2006
  4. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Re: Help needed with defender.msi from ms. update

    On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:28:31 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:55:56 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:29:54 GMT, joevan wrote:
    >>

    >>>I keep coming up with the following when I try to set up windows
    >>>defender on my xp machine.
    >>>
    >>>This package could not be opened
    >>>verify that this is a valid installer package .

    >>Corrupt download try again, if your web browser uses a proxy try
    >>deselecting the proxy option and d/l again.
    >>
    >>If you don't have XP SP2 and / or the MS Update SIte , updates you may
    >>not have the newest MS Installer v 3.0 or 3.1 installed.
    >>
    >>>I read on google that one of kaspeskys updates cause a problem with
    >>>the antispyware from MS.
    >>>I tried to find an answer through google but only found pages
    >>>pertinent to MS office.

    >>It's still MSI and pretty much the same sort of issues even though you
    >>found info for Office.
    >>
    >>>Any help would be appreciated.

    >>Me

    >Everything is updated and I am not using a proxy.
    >I have sp2 and all ms updates through today. 3.1 is in the files and
    >to make sure I reinstalled it a little while ago and nothing
    >different.
    >I recall a couple of days ago that the ms antspywarebeta started
    >acting differently. I tried to open it and it wouldn't completly open.
    >Then I clicked the icon again and it opened but not normally.
    >I finally deleted it through add remove programs. That was when I
    >noticed that I could not get the defender program to set up.

    I don't understand it but after compressing the file with win rar it
    now works fine.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Feb 24, 2006
  5. joevan

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:59:20 GMT, joevan wrote:

    >On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:28:31 GMT, joevan <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:55:56 GMT, why?
    >><fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >>>Corrupt download try again, if your web browser uses a proxy try
    >>>deselecting the proxy option and d/l again.
    >>>
    >>>If you don't have XP SP2 and / or the MS Update SIte , updates you may
    >>>not have the newest MS Installer v 3.0 or 3.1 installed.

    >>>It's still MSI and pretty much the same sort of issues even though you
    >>>found info for Office.

    >>>Me

    >>Everything is updated and I am not using a proxy.
    >>I have sp2 and all ms updates through today. 3.1 is in the files and

    <snip>
    >>I recall a couple of days ago that the ms antspywarebeta started
    >>acting differently. I tried to open it and it wouldn't completly open.

    <snip>
    >I don't understand it but after compressing the file with win rar it
    >now works fine.

    That's got to be the award for a daft solution of the month.

    Most likely the downloads are compressed already, even though the d/l is
    an exe.

    It may well be what happens using 2 beta products. One was stopping the
    other working?

    Me
    why?, Feb 24, 2006