Help needed uninstalling Mandrake.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi.

    My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
    space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed it.
    I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.

    What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back to my
    blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
    remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my previous
    set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.

    Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
    resides on?

    Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need to
    get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.

    Thanks,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 29, 2003

  2. In article <rOUdb.162502$>,
    misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz says...
    > Hi.
    >
    > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
    > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed it.
    > I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
    >
    > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back to my
    > blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
    > remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my previous
    > set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
    >
    > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
    > resides on?
    >
    > Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need to
    > get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    I did the very thing, but it's been well over a year (mandrake 6 or 7 at
    the time) and I am getting fuzzy on the details. I.i.r.c. I used
    Partition Magic to reclaim the space on the harddrive, and XP's boot
    manager control applet to replace LILO.

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Sep 29, 2003

  3. ~misfit~

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from ~misfit~ of Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:35 :
    > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
    > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed
    > it. I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
    >
    > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back to
    > my blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need
    > to remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my
    > previous set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
    >
    > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
    > resides on?

    You could do that, but it isn't an elegant solution.
    IIRC lilo makes a backup of the MBR, so you might be able to restore it.
    Search google groups for how to do this (if the old MBR is what you want).

    If you have Partition Magic, you can use that to reformat the partition.
    But it costs $$$ and there are many tools you could use. Knoppix would be
    an option. The partition tool in the Mandrake installer is quite good (and
    GUI), you could boot off the MDK install disks, reformat the Linux
    partition as FAT or whatever, then exit the installer. Otherwise, there is
    a DOS tool for managing partitions, called fdisk or similar. It is a
    command line tool, but it works fine and comes at a much better price than
    Partition Magic.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Sep 29, 2003
  4. On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:35:48 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
    > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed it.
    > I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
    >
    > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back to my
    > blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
    > remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my previous
    > set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
    >
    > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
    > resides on?
    >
    > Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need to
    > get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Boot from your Mandrake install disk and run the install up to the
    diskdrake partitioning tool, then use that to delete the linux partition
    so that it is just free space.
    You can then use diskdrake to set it as fat32 if you like, or not then reboot.
    To get rid of lilo use a 98 startup disk and fdisk /mbr and you will then just
    get the XP bootloader at startup
    and fdisk to set the free space to fat32.
    Olson Johnson, Sep 29, 2003
  5. ~misfit~

    cowboyz Guest

    "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
    > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed

    it.
    > I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
    >
    > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back to

    my
    > blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
    > remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my

    previous
    > set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
    >
    > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
    > resides on?
    >
    > Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need to
    > get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    I'm not saying this is the best way but this is how I would attack it.

    boot from floppy and type fdisk /mbr
    boot off xp cd and goto repair mode and type fixboot
    got into xp and under disc management format your linux partition and leave
    it as a partition.

    Then, If you do get a new hard drive or want to go back to Linux you don't
    have to repartition again.

    all this should take about 10 mins.
    cowboyz, Sep 29, 2003
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message news:bla5j5$ob$...

    > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
    > > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed

    > it.
    > > I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
    > >
    > > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back

    > my
    > > blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
    > > remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my

    > previous
    > > set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
    > >
    > > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
    > > resides on?
    > >
    > > Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need

    > > get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~
    > >

    > I'm not saying this is the best way but this is how I would attack it.
    >
    > boot from floppy and type fdisk /mbr
    > boot off xp cd and goto repair mode and type fixboot
    > got into xp and under disc management format your linux partition and

    leave
    > it as a partition.
    >
    > Then, If you do get a new hard drive or want to go back to Linux you

    don't
    > have to repartition again.
    >
    > all this should take about 10 mins.

    Thanks for this, I'll give it a try.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 29, 2003
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Olson Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:35:48 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
    > > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed

    it.
    > > I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
    > >
    > > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back

    to my
    > > blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
    > > remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my

    previous
    > > set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
    > >
    > > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
    > > resides on?
    > >
    > > Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need

    > > get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~
    > >

    > Boot from your Mandrake install disk and run the install up to the
    > diskdrake partitioning tool, then use that to delete the linux partition
    > so that it is just free space.
    > You can then use diskdrake to set it as fat32 if you like, or not then

    reboot.
    > To get rid of lilo use a 98 startup disk and fdisk /mbr and you will then

    just
    > get the XP bootloader at startup
    > and fdisk to set the free space to fat32.

    Thankyou.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 29, 2003
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > this quote is from ~misfit~ of Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:35 :
    > > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
    > > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed
    > > it. I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
    > >
    > > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back

    > > my blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need
    > > to remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my
    > > previous set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
    > >
    > > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
    > > resides on?

    > You could do that, but it isn't an elegant solution.
    > IIRC lilo makes a backup of the MBR, so you might be able to restore it.
    > Search google groups for how to do this (if the old MBR is what you want).
    >
    > If you have Partition Magic, you can use that to reformat the partition.
    > But it costs $$$ and there are many tools you could use. Knoppix would be
    > an option. The partition tool in the Mandrake installer is quite good

    (and
    > GUI), you could boot off the MDK install disks, reformat the Linux
    > partition as FAT or whatever, then exit the installer. Otherwise, there

    is
    > a DOS tool for managing partitions, called fdisk or similar. It is a
    > command line tool, but it works fine and comes at a much better price than
    > Partition Magic.

    Thanks Peter, I have Partition Magic.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 30, 2003
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <rOUdb.162502$>,
    > misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz says...
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
    > > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed

    it.
    > > I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
    > >
    > > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back

    to my
    > > blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
    > > remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my

    previous
    > > set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
    > >
    > > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
    > > resides on?
    > >
    > > Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need

    > > get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~

    > I did the very thing, but it's been well over a year (mandrake 6 or 7 at
    > the time) and I am getting fuzzy on the details. I.i.r.c. I used
    > Partition Magic to reclaim the space on the harddrive, and XP's boot
    > manager control applet to replace LILO.

    Thanks Peter.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 30, 2003
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > > Hi.
    > > >
    > > > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare

    disk
    > > > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I

    installed
    > > it.
    > > > I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
    > > >
    > > > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back

    > > my
    > > > blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need

    > > > remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my

    > > previous
    > > > set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
    > > >
    > > > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that

    Mandrake
    > > > resides on?
    > > >
    > > > Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need

    > > > get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > --
    > > > ~misfit~
    > > >

    > > I'm not saying this is the best way but this is how I would attack it.
    > >
    > > boot from floppy and type fdisk /mbr
    > > boot off xp cd and goto repair mode and type fixboot
    > > got into xp and under disc management format your linux partition and

    > leave
    > > it as a partition.
    > >
    > > Then, If you do get a new hard drive or want to go back to Linux you

    > don't
    > > have to repartition again.
    > >
    > > all this should take about 10 mins.

    > Thanks for this, I'll give it a try.