Help needed to transfer 64 bit system.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by jacob navia, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. jacob navia

    jacob navia Guest

    Hi People

    I have a 120GB disk drive, and want to transfer my system
    to the new drive (400GB). I have noticed that
    windows server 2003 64 bits does NOT HAVE the transfer
    settings wizard that exists under windows xp.

    I have copied all files from the 120GB drive to the new
    drive, but obviously the registry is not transfered. I
    managed to reboot in the new partition with the copy of
    my system but all my settings are lost.

    Questions:

    1) Where can I find an equivalent of the transfer wizard for
    windows server 2003 64 bits?

    2) If not, how can I transfer my system from my old disk
    to the new one? The 120GB drive is giving me signs that is
    going south, and I would like to throw it away before it is
    too late.

    Thanks in advance for any help (Pointers to any docs
    welcome)

    jacob

    P.S. I think the only thing I need to transfer probably
    is the registry but I do not know how to do that
    jacob navia, Aug 7, 2006

  2. jacob navia

    Guest

    According to the info at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/technologies/mgmtsrvcs.mspx

    There are 2 tools available:

    Migrating files and settings for multiple users
    in a corporate environment is made easier with
    the User State Migration Tool (USMT). USMT gives
    administrators command-line precision in
    customizing specific settings such as unique
    modifications to the registry.

    In addition, Windows Server 2003 includes a
    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard designed for
    individual users or small office users. The
    wizard is also useful in a corporate network
    environment for employees who get a new computer
    and need to migrate their own files and settings
    without the support of an IT department or help
    desk.

    Is the info as MS wrong? Are these tools not in
    your system?

    jacob navia wrote:
    > Hi People
    >
    > I have a 120GB disk drive, and want to transfer my system
    > to the new drive (400GB). I have noticed that
    > windows server 2003 64 bits does NOT HAVE the transfer
    > settings wizard that exists under windows xp.
    >
    > I have copied all files from the 120GB drive to the new
    > drive, but obviously the registry is not transfered. I
    > managed to reboot in the new partition with the copy of
    > my system but all my settings are lost.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1) Where can I find an equivalent of the transfer wizard for
    > windows server 2003 64 bits?
    >
    > 2) If not, how can I transfer my system from my old disk
    > to the new one? The 120GB drive is giving me signs that is
    > going south, and I would like to throw it away before it is
    > too late.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help (Pointers to any docs
    > welcome)
    >
    > jacob
    >
    > P.S. I think the only thing I need to transfer probably
    > is the registry but I do not know how to do that
    , Aug 7, 2006

  3. jacob navia

    jacob navia Guest

    wrote:
    > According to the info at:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/technologies/mgmtsrvcs.mspx
    >

    > There are 2 tools available:
    >
    > Migrating files and settings for multiple users in a corporate
    > environment is made easier with the User State Migration Tool (USMT).
    > USMT gives administrators command-line precision in customizing specific
    > settings such as unique modifications to the registry.
    >
    > In addition, Windows Server 2003 includes a Files and Settings Transfer
    > Wizard designed for individual users or small office users. The wizard
    > is also useful in a corporate network environment for employees who get
    > a new computer and need to migrate their own files and settings without
    > the support of an IT department or help desk.
    >
    > Is the info as MS wrong? Are these tools not in your system?

    No, they are not, at least where they should be: The documentation
    speaks about Accessories/System Tools, and in my copy of windows Server
    2003/64 bits there is NO such utility. Besides, I have looked in my
    windows 2003 CD and I have installed everything under "additional stuff"
    (do not remember exactly the name) but there wasn't any migration tool.
    jacob navia, Aug 7, 2006
  4. A much, much, much better way to do this is to use a copy of a disk imaging
    utility, such as Acronis, that lets you "clone" a disk. And at the same time
    you can change your partition sizes.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2006
  5. jacob navia

    John Barnes Guest

    Here are two places to look about doing the copy. You are approaching it
    wrong and these two items will help you.

    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=418&page=8

    http://www.sofotex.com/HDClone-Free-Edition-download_L11423.html

    John Barnes, Aug 7, 2006
  6. Install Acronis True Image 9.1
    Connect your 400GB drive as slave.
    Use Acronis to clone your 120GB drive to the new drive.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 8, 2006
  7. No problem. It's just that we're first on the list, and sometimes get "drop
    ins". :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 8, 2006
  8. Or, upgrade the drive to dynamic disk and mirror the partitions onto the new
    drive, then break the mirror set?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 8, 2006
  9. You know, I really find I dislike dynamic disks more and more these days.
    Especially on a boot partition.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 10, 2006
  10. I remember getting a headache in my MCSE class when they covered it. But
    after Win 2k did we have a choice to have if we want to mirror?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 11, 2006
  11. yes. Hardware. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64