Help needed to set up audio on Windows 98

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by user, Sep 17, 2005.

  1. user

    user Guest

    Hi,

    I would appreciate any help or guidance in adjusting my audio settings
    on the Windows 98 OS so that I can use a free Internet VoIP service,
    Skype.

    I have a vintaged IBM Aptiva Computer (Windows 98, AMD K6-2 450 Hz)which
    I use for basic tasks such as email, word processing and web browsing.
    Last week, I installed the Skype's phone program. On carrying out the
    "Test Call" at Skype, I could not record my own voice. The recorded
    message told me that "there is something wrong with my audio setting".

    I can hear the instructions clearly, so that speaker settings are OK.

    I also have checked that the microphone is correctly plugged in. The
    Skype's trouble-shooting instructions at Skype are meant for Windows XP
    and 2000.

    Thank you in advance.

    JF
    user, Sep 17, 2005

  2. user

    trout Guest

    user wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would appreciate any help or guidance in adjusting my audio settings
    > on the Windows 98 OS so that I can use a free Internet VoIP service,
    > Skype.
    >
    > I have a vintaged IBM Aptiva Computer (Windows 98, AMD K6-2 450
    > Hz)which I use for basic tasks such as email, word processing and web
    > browsing. Last week, I installed the Skype's phone program. On
    > carrying out the "Test Call" at Skype, I could not record my own
    > voice. The recorded message told me that "there is something wrong
    > with my audio setting".
    >
    > I can hear the instructions clearly, so that speaker settings are OK.
    >
    > I also have checked that the microphone is correctly plugged in. The
    > Skype's trouble-shooting instructions at Skype are meant for Windows
    > XP and 2000.

    Those, unfortunately, are also among the "minimum system requirements".
    --
    It seems the program will install, but not function, in Win98.
    trout, Sep 18, 2005

  3. user

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:15:44 +0800, user <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I would appreciate any help or guidance in adjusting my audio settings
    >on the Windows 98 OS so that I can use a free Internet VoIP service,
    >Skype.
    >
    >I have a vintaged IBM Aptiva Computer (Windows 98, AMD K6-2 450 Hz)which
    >I use for basic tasks such as email, word processing and web browsing.
    >Last week, I installed the Skype's phone program. On carrying out the
    >"Test Call" at Skype, I could not record my own voice. The recorded
    >message told me that "there is something wrong with my audio setting".
    >
    >I can hear the instructions clearly, so that speaker settings are OK.
    >
    >I also have checked that the microphone is correctly plugged in. The
    >Skype's trouble-shooting instructions at Skype are meant for Windows XP
    >and 2000.
    >
    >Thank you in advance.

    Is the audio hardware full duplex?

    >JF

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    Barry OGrady, Sep 18, 2005
  4. user

    user Guest

    user wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would appreciate any help or guidance in adjusting my audio settings
    > on the Windows 98 OS so that I can use a free Internet VoIP service,
    > Skype.
    >
    > I have a vintaged IBM Aptiva Computer (Windows 98, AMD K6-2 450 Hz)which
    > I use for basic tasks such as email, word processing and web browsing.
    > Last week, I installed the Skype's phone program. On carrying out the
    > "Test Call" at Skype, I could not record my own voice. The recorded
    > message told me that "there is something wrong with my audio setting".
    >
    > I can hear the instructions clearly, so that speaker settings are OK.
    >
    > I also have checked that the microphone is correctly plugged in. The
    > Skype's trouble-shooting instructions at Skype are meant for Windows XP
    > and 2000.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    >
    > JF

    Barry OGrady Sep 18, 8:42 am

    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    From: Barry OGrady <> - Find messages by this author
    Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:42:53 +1000
    Subject: Re: Help needed to set up audio on Windows 98

    Is the audio hardware full duplex?

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Hi Barry,

    I checked with the local IBM support center this afternoon. I was
    advised that there is no sound card in my computer. "The sound from the
    computer is generated using the CPU". It uses "ESS-Solo 1". I am afraid
    all this is beyond me. The bottom line is: the audio hardware is not
    "full duplex", I presume, since I do not even have a sound card.

    Does this mean that I need to install a "full duplex" sound card before
    I can use Skype?

    kind regards!

    JF
    user, Sep 22, 2005
  5. user

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:31:30 +0800, user <> wrote:

    >user wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I would appreciate any help or guidance in adjusting my audio settings
    >> on the Windows 98 OS so that I can use a free Internet VoIP service,
    >> Skype.
    >>
    >> I have a vintaged IBM Aptiva Computer (Windows 98, AMD K6-2 450 Hz)which
    >> I use for basic tasks such as email, word processing and web browsing.
    >> Last week, I installed the Skype's phone program. On carrying out the
    >> "Test Call" at Skype, I could not record my own voice. The recorded
    >> message told me that "there is something wrong with my audio setting".
    >>
    >> I can hear the instructions clearly, so that speaker settings are OK.
    >>
    >> I also have checked that the microphone is correctly plugged in. The
    >> Skype's trouble-shooting instructions at Skype are meant for Windows XP
    >> and 2000.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance.
    >>
    >> JF

    >Barry OGrady Sep 18, 8:42 am
    >
    >Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >From: Barry OGrady <> - Find messages by this author
    >Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:42:53 +1000
    >Subject: Re: Help needed to set up audio on Windows 98
    >

    >Is the audio hardware full duplex?
    >

    >Barry
    >=====
    >Home page
    >http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    >Hi Barry,
    >
    >I checked with the local IBM support center this afternoon. I was
    >advised that there is no sound card in my computer. "The sound from the
    >computer is generated using the CPU". It uses "ESS-Solo 1". I am afraid
    >all this is beyond me. The bottom line is: the audio hardware is not
    >"full duplex", I presume, since I do not even have a sound card.
    >
    >Does this mean that I need to install a "full duplex" sound card before
    >I can use Skype?

    I would think so. I am trying to get Win 98 running so I can set up a
    Shoutcast server. Win 98 seems to be much harder to get running properly
    than does Win XP.

    >kind regards!
    >
    >JF

    Barry