    Both machines now run XP.

    Any help gratefully received

    Tony
    Tony Peter, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Tony Peter

    bearman Guest

    "Tony Peter" <> wrote in message
    news:%ZPjd.122$...
    > I have set up a home network, simply using two USB dongles, so my

    daughters
    > computer connects to the net through mine, giving me control. The network

    is
    > finally set up but I am unable to set up broadband on my daughters pc, I

    get
    > an error message saying "unable to connect to default gateway"
    >

    > Both machines now run XP.
    >
    > Any help gratefully received
    >
    > Tony

    Are you runnning any firewall?

    bearman
    bearman, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Tony Peter

    Tony Peter Guest

    "bearman" <> wrote in message

    > "Tony Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> I have set up a home network, simply using two USB dongles, so my

    > daughters
    >> computer connects to the net through mine, giving me control. The network

    > is
    >> finally set up but I am unable to set up broadband on my daughters pc, I

    > get
    >> an error message saying "unable to connect to default gateway"
    >>

    >> Both machines now run XP.
    >>
    >> Any help gratefully received
    >>
    >> Tony
    >>

    > Are you runnning any firewall?
    >
    > bearman

    Windows XP turned off on daughters and zone alarm on main, again turned off.
    Tony Peter, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Tony Peter

    Tony Peter Guest

    Problem now solved, thanks bearman, found another firewal still open, going
    forward though do I need a firewall on both pc's or will the main one work
    for both ?

    Tony

    Tony Peter, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Tony Peter

    bearman Guest

    "Tony Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Problem now solved, thanks bearman, found another firewal still open,

    going
    > forward though do I need a firewall on both pc's or will the main one work
    > for both ?
    >
    > Tony

    Since your daughter's computer goes through yours, I'd assume that a
    firewall on your computer would be enough. If I'm wrong on that, I'm sure
    someone here will tell you. I'm using Zone Alarm on all three of the
    computers on my network (with a router). Zone Alarm has a section where you
    can set up to allow your daughter's computer to be seen.

    Bearman

    bearman, Nov 9, 2004