Help needed - Sony Cyber-shot P150

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Claus Olesen, Apr 30, 2006.

  1. Claus Olesen

    Claus Olesen Guest

    Okay, I hope someone here can help me.
    I'm trying to help a long-distance friend with her new camera.
    She has bought a Sony Cyber-shot P150, but she is unsure of how to
    transfer the pictures to her computer.
    Now, I wouldn't have a problem doing this if it was me, but,
    unfortunately, she's not quite as camera and computer savvy as I am.

    I've been looking for websites that might actually show her what to do,
    as in, with pictures, but so far no luck (my google-fu must be weak this
    week).
    I haven't seen the manual to the Cyber-shot, so I don't know whether
    there's a thorough explanation of what she needs to do. I don't know
    whether there's any specific software that comes with the camera either.

    So, basically what I'm looking for, is a step-by-step guide to how she
    connects her camera to the computer and transfers the pictures (and any
    set-up that might be required on the computer). Preferably with pictures!
    If such a site doesn't exist (it might exist for another type of camera,
    but as long as the basics are the same, it doesn't really matter that
    it's not a Sony Cyber-shot), but someone who has the same camera would
    be willing to do such a guide, I'd be happy to provide the webspace for it.

    I hope someone can help me out here (if I had the means to do such a
    guide, i.e. a digital camera of my own, I'd do so in a flash).

    Thank you in advance

    C.O.
    --
    Remove NADA from my e-mail address to reply directly to me
    Claus Olesen, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Claus Olesen

    g n p Guest

    How about telling her:
    RTFM
    and be done with it???????????????
    g n p, Apr 30, 2006

  3. On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:43:33 +0200, in rec.photo.digital Claus Olesen
    <> wrote:

    >Okay, I hope someone here can help me.
    >I'm trying to help a long-distance friend with her new camera.
    >She has bought a Sony Cyber-shot P150, but she is unsure of how to
    >transfer the pictures to her computer.
    >Now, I wouldn't have a problem doing this if it was me, but,
    >unfortunately, she's not quite as camera and computer savvy as I am.
    >
    >I've been looking for websites that might actually show her what to do,
    >as in, with pictures, but so far no luck (my google-fu must be weak this
    >week).
    >I haven't seen the manual to the Cyber-shot, so I don't know whether
    >there's a thorough explanation of what she needs to do. I don't know
    >whether there's any specific software that comes with the camera either.
    >
    >So, basically what I'm looking for, is a step-by-step guide to how she
    >connects her camera to the computer and transfers the pictures (and any
    >set-up that might be required on the computer). Preferably with pictures!
    >If such a site doesn't exist (it might exist for another type of camera,
    >but as long as the basics are the same, it doesn't really matter that
    >it's not a Sony Cyber-shot), but someone who has the same camera would
    >be willing to do such a guide, I'd be happy to provide the webspace for it.
    >
    >I hope someone can help me out here (if I had the means to do such a
    >guide, i.e. a digital camera of my own, I'd do so in a flash).

    You can start with
    http://cybershotcentral.com/drivers.php?Model=DSC-P150&operating_system=Any

    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Apr 30, 2006
  4. Claus Olesen

    Freedom55 Guest

    Claus Olesen wrote:
    > Okay, I hope someone here can help me.
    > I'm trying to help a long-distance friend with her new camera.
    > She has bought a Sony Cyber-shot P150, but she is unsure of how to
    > transfer the pictures to her computer.
    > Now, I wouldn't have a problem doing this if it was me, but,
    > unfortunately, she's not quite as camera and computer savvy as I am.
    >
    > I've been looking for websites that might actually show her what to do,
    > as in, with pictures, but so far no luck (my google-fu must be weak this
    > week).
    > I haven't seen the manual to the Cyber-shot, so I don't know whether
    > there's a thorough explanation of what she needs to do. I don't know
    > whether there's any specific software that comes with the camera either.
    >
    > So, basically what I'm looking for, is a step-by-step guide to how she
    > connects her camera to the computer and transfers the pictures (and any
    > set-up that might be required on the computer). Preferably with pictures!
    > If such a site doesn't exist (it might exist for another type of camera,
    > but as long as the basics are the same, it doesn't really matter that
    > it's not a Sony Cyber-shot), but someone who has the same camera would
    > be willing to do such a guide, I'd be happy to provide the webspace for it.
    >
    > I hope someone can help me out here (if I had the means to do such a
    > guide, i.e. a digital camera of my own, I'd do so in a flash).
    >

    > Thank you in advance
    >
    > C.O.

    RTFM

    Ron

    --
    And it really doesn't matter if
    I'm wrong I'm right

    Lennon & McCartney
    Freedom55, Apr 30, 2006
  5. Claus Olesen

    Claus Olesen Guest

    Freedom55 wrote:
    > RTFM
    >
    > Ron

    Thank you for your useful and well thought out replies...
    Isn't it nice to get such useful advice from people?

    Now, here's a little advice for the two gentlemen above:
    Please read through all of the post that you reply to, it would make you
    both seem much less like ignorant idiots if you had done so. Among other
    things, useful information such as:

    > "...but, unfortunately, she's not quite as camera and computer savvy
    > as I am."

    and

    > "I haven't seen the manual to the Cyber-shot, so I don't know whether
    > there's a thorough explanation of what she needs to do."

    might have garnered your attention and told you that this option isn't
    what I'm looking for, since it has been tried or is an option that isn't
    available.

    Again, thank your for your advice, it's always nice to know that
    imbecils still exist on usenet.

    C.O.
    --
    Remove NADA from my e-mail address to reply directly to me
    Claus Olesen, Apr 30, 2006
  6. Claus Olesen

    Claus Olesen Guest

    Claus Olesen, Apr 30, 2006
  7. Claus Olesen

    Claus Olesen Guest

    Claus Olesen wrote:
    > Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    >

    >> You can start with
    >> http://cybershotcentral.com/drivers.php?Model=DSC-P150&operating_system=Any
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    >> http://EdwardGRuf.com

    > Thank you.
    > Will this driver allow her to open up the memory card in the camera as
    > another drive?
    > Or does the camera need a specific piece of software to extract the
    > pictures?
    >
    > C.O.

    Okay, I didn't see that the manual for the camera was on the same page too!
    Thank you again, now I should be able to guide her through the
    installation process.

    C.O.
    --
    Remove NADA from my e-mail address to reply directly to me
    Claus Olesen, Apr 30, 2006
  8. Claus Olesen

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:43:33 +0200, Claus Olesen wrote:

    > Okay, I hope someone here can help me.
    > I'm trying to help a long-distance friend with her new camera.
    > She has bought a Sony Cyber-shot P150, but she is unsure of how to
    > transfer the pictures to her computer.
    > Now, I wouldn't have a problem doing this if it was me, but,
    > unfortunately, she's not quite as camera and computer savvy as I am.
    >
    > I've been looking for websites that might actually show her what to do,
    > as in, with pictures, but so far no luck (my google-fu must be weak this
    > week).
    > I haven't seen the manual to the Cyber-shot, so I don't know whether
    > there's a thorough explanation of what she needs to do. I don't know
    > whether there's any specific software that comes with the camera either.
    >
    > So, basically what I'm looking for, is a step-by-step guide to how she
    > connects her camera to the computer and transfers the pictures (and any
    > set-up that might be required on the computer). Preferably with pictures!
    > If such a site doesn't exist (it might exist for another type of camera,
    > but as long as the basics are the same, it doesn't really matter that
    > it's not a Sony Cyber-shot), but someone who has the same camera would
    > be willing to do such a guide, I'd be happy to provide the webspace for it.
    >
    > I hope someone can help me out here (if I had the means to do such a
    > guide, i.e. a digital camera of my own, I'd do so in a flash).
    >

    > Thank you in advance
    >
    > C.O.

    It is all in the manual. Use the usd lead to connect the camera to the
    computer, switch on the camera and select view.

    --
    Neil
    Delete 'l' to reply
    Neil Ellwood, May 1, 2006
  9. Claus Olesen

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 00:30:17 +0200, Claus Olesen wrote:

    > g n p wrote:
    >> How about telling her:
    >> RTFM
    >> and be done with it???????????????
    >>

    > Freedom55 wrote:
    > > RTFM
    > >
    > > Ron

    > Thank you for your useful and well thought out replies...
    > Isn't it nice to get such useful advice from people?
    >
    > Now, here's a little advice for the two gentlemen above:
    > Please read through all of the post that you reply to, it would make you
    > both seem much less like ignorant idiots if you had done so. Among other
    > things, useful information such as:
    >
    > > "...but, unfortunately, she's not quite as camera and computer savvy
    > > as I am."

    > and
    >
    > > "I haven't seen the manual to the Cyber-shot, so I don't know whether
    > > there's a thorough explanation of what she needs to do."

    > might have garnered your attention and told you that this option isn't
    > what I'm looking for, since it has been tried or is an option that isn't
    > available.
    >
    > Again, thank your for your advice, it's always nice to know that
    > imbecils still exist on usenet.
    >
    > C.O.

    Next time you want help do not be surprised if you get none.
    --
    Neil
    Delete 'l' to reply
    Neil Ellwood, May 1, 2006
  10. Claus Olesen

    Claus Olesen Guest

    Neil Ellwood wrote:

    > It is all in the manual. Use the usd lead to connect the camera to the
    > computer, switch on the camera and select view.

    Ed Ruf pointed me towards a site that had the manual, so I should be
    able to help her out now. The problem was, among other things, that I
    didn't have the manual myself. :)

    But I can see it's fairly explicit in the manual, so I'm confident that
    we'll get it done now.
    Thanks again to those who provided help.

    C.O.
    --
    Remove NADA from my e-mail address to reply directly to me
    Claus Olesen, May 1, 2006