    What are his options to re-install or fix Win98SE?
    Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    Arawak

    Arawak, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Arawak

    Ben Myers Guest

    Tell him to go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a
    Windows 95 boot floppy. This will install DOS 7.0, which is sufficient
    to install or reinstall Windows 98. Use the boot floppy to start the
    laptop, type "copy a:\*.* c:\", then "sys c:". Then remove the floppy
    drive, install the CD drive and restart. Note that the CD drive may be
    assigned drive letter "R:".

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Arawak

    Arawak Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought of that except that since he
    can only access Windows in safe mode, he won't be able to access the
    internet (modem driver won't be installed). Maybe I can mail him a
    floppy sinced he lives out of state. I pretty much did that anyway via
    phone. I had him start up "sysedit" while in safe mode, and had him
    add lines in the config.sys and autoexec.bat file (similar to the ones
    on my boot floppy):

    CONFIG.SYS -
    device=himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
    device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
    files=10
    buffers=10
    dos=high,umb
    stacks=9,256
    lastdrive=z

    AUTOEXEC.BAT -
    path=C:\;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;
    smartdrv
    LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:Z

    We looked in the C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND directory and copied all the
    necessary files to the root (c:\), then since Windows still tries to
    autostart, I had him press F8 and used the option to step through the
    configuration options, replying no to everything except the batch
    processes in the Config.sys and the Autoexec.bat files but when it got
    to the MSCDEX line it complained file not found. Ofcourse he could
    have made a typo but I had him read it all back to me and it sounded
    just fine.

    Arawak, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Arawak

    Shel-hed Guest

    Have you tried restoring an old registry?
    Start in dos, type
    scanreg /restore

    Or if he can get access to the cdrom in safe mode, copy the 98 directory to the hd and
    install from there. If you do this, then boot to dos and rename or delete the Windows
    and Program Files directories first.

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:24:47 -0700, Arawak <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Shel-hed, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Arawak

    Ben Myers Guest

    Perhaps using the full path the filename without the "LH".

    C:\WINDOWS\COMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:Z

    Ben Myers, Dec 20, 2003