    so...
    REGARDS..
    Tehseen Shamim.
    tehseen shamim, Oct 28, 2003

  2. tehseen shamim

    Andy Barkl Guest

    You shall find all the answers here; www.LearnToSubnet.com.
    Andy Barkl, Oct 28, 2003

  3. tehseen shamim

    FredG Guest

    (tehseen shamim) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I want to ask a question that through Sub-Netting , is it possible
    > that number of IP Adresses get increase or do they decrease ?? plsss
    > help me by answering this question.I'll be obliged if someone does
    > so...
    > REGARDS..
    > Tehseen Shamim.

    Subnetting is a way of increasing your available IP addresses. Go see
    www.learntosubnet.com for more info as I haven't the expertise to
    explain it in a coherent manner. Your questions, or most of them,
    should be addressed here (no pun).
    FredG, Oct 28, 2003
  4. They decrease very slightly, since for each subnet, the IP addresses
    ending in .0 and .255 cannot be used for nodes.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 29, 2003
  5. That is not correct. Subnetting does not increase the number of IP
    addresses available, in fact it very slightly decreases them. The
    purpose is divide the network for routing purposes to reduce network
    traffic (and collisions). It has nothing to do with the number of IP
    addresses available.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 29, 2003
  6. Barry Watzman <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > They decrease very slightly, since for each subnet, the IP addresses
    > ending in .0 and .255 cannot be used for nodes.

    thanks for ur answer... it helped me making myself clear.

    tehseen shamim, Oct 29, 2003
  7. tehseen shamim

    FredG Guest

    Barry Watzman <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > That is not correct. Subnetting does not increase the number of IP
    > addresses available, in fact it very slightly decreases them. The
    > purpose is divide the network for routing purposes to reduce network
    > traffic (and collisions). It has nothing to do with the number of IP
    > addresses available.

    If only the default masks are used then the range of IP addresses can
    be increased by using different subnet masks. This is, I think, what
    the original poster was asking.

    If all available subnet masks are taken into account from the start
    then I agree with you in that no "extra" become available.

    Perhaps I read the question differently.
    FredG, Oct 29, 2003