Help needed re mail service, Netscape or Yahoo

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by JimC, Oct 19, 2008.

  1. JimC

    JimC Guest

    After some extensive trouble-shooting with SBC-AT&T DSL tech support,
    they had me make some changes and assign a new password. I can now
    access the internet, via Firefox, MSNexplorer, or Netscape, but I can't
    use my (Netscape 7.2) mail service. - I get a message as follows:
    "sending of password did not succeed. Mail server for pop
    sbcglobal.yahoo.com responded invalid password." - I have attempted to
    change or correct the password in Netscape mail (change it to the new
    one given to me by AT@T), by going into preferences-security, but I
    can't find the page/line that I need to change the password.

    Meanwhile, I was temporarily (yesterday) able to use the Yahoo mail
    service reached through the Firefox-Yahoo (?) home page, and I was able
    to see and send email. Now, however, I'm unable to use it, apparently
    because I have misspelled either my user name or password (??).

    Questions:

    1) I'm assuming I should now use the new password given to me by AT&T
    for my Netscape mail. - If so, how can I update the password on Netscape
    mail if I wanted to continue using it? (I'm used to Netscape and like
    their format.)

    2) I prefer not to use the Yahoo mail service, because I don't like
    their format, and because Yahoo in general seems to require multiple
    cookies. - If I can't get Netscape to work, would you recommend I use
    another mail service, and if so, which one?

    Thanks,
    Jim Cate

    JimC, Oct 19, 2008

  2. JimC

    JimC Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > JimC wrote:
    >
    >> After some extensive trouble-shooting with SBC-AT&T DSL tech support,
    >> they had me make some changes and assign a new password. I can now
    >> access the internet, via Firefox, MSNexplorer, or Netscape, but I
    >> can't use my (Netscape 7.2) mail service. - I get a message as
    >> follows: "sending of password did not succeed. Mail server for pop
    >> sbcglobal.yahoo.com responded invalid password." - I have attempted
    >> to change or correct the password in Netscape mail (change it to the
    >> new one given to me by AT@T), by going into preferences-security, but
    >> I can't find the page/line that I need to change the password.
    >>
    >> Meanwhile, I was temporarily (yesterday) able to use the Yahoo mail
    >> service reached through the Firefox-Yahoo (?) home page, and I was
    >> able to see and send email. Now, however, I'm unable to use it,
    >> apparently because I have misspelled either my user name or password
    >> (??).
    >>
    >> Questions:
    >>
    >> 1) I'm assuming I should now use the new password given to me by AT&T
    >> for my Netscape mail. - If so, how can I update the password on
    >> Netscape mail if I wanted to continue using it? (I'm used to Netscape
    >> and like their format.)

    > I don't have Netscape 7.2 installed, but if memory serves me, click on
    > Tools, Password Manager, find the user name AND password [two entries],
    > and delete them

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    I was able to change the password, via preferences-security and/or
    tools, Password Manager, and I can see the changed password under
    Password Manager-Show Password. However, I don't see a seperate entry in
    Password Manager for "user name." Would that be somewhere other than in
    Password Manager? Also, I'm using my email address for user name under
    the initial mailservice setup menu. - I thought that I should keep that
    name for consistency. - Obviously, I'm sadly confused. Surprisingly,
    however, this newsgroup server does seem to be working.

    Jim Cate

    JimC, Oct 19, 2008

  3. JimC

    JimC Guest

    JimC wrote:

    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> JimC wrote:
    >>
    >>> After some extensive trouble-shooting with SBC-AT&T DSL tech support,
    >>> they had me make some changes and assign a new password. I can now
    >>> access the internet, via Firefox, MSNexplorer, or Netscape, but I
    >>> can't use my (Netscape 7.2) mail service. - I get a message as
    >>> follows: "sending of password did not succeed. Mail server for pop
    >>> sbcglobal.yahoo.com responded invalid password." - I have attempted
    >>> to change or correct the password in Netscape mail (change it to the
    >>> new one given to me by AT@T), by going into preferences-security, but
    >>> I can't find the page/line that I need to change the password.
    >>>
    >>> Meanwhile, I was temporarily (yesterday) able to use the Yahoo mail
    >>> service reached through the Firefox-Yahoo (?) home page, and I was
    >>> able to see and send email. Now, however, I'm unable to use it,
    >>> apparently because I have misspelled either my user name or password
    >>> (??).
    >>>
    >>> Questions:
    >>>
    >>> 1) I'm assuming I should now use the new password given to me by AT&T
    >>> for my Netscape mail. - If so, how can I update the password on
    >>> Netscape mail if I wanted to continue using it? (I'm used to
    >>> Netscape and like their format.)

    >> I don't have Netscape 7.2 installed, but if memory serves me, click on
    >> Tools, Password Manager, find the user name AND password [two
    >> entries], and delete them
    >>

    > Thanks for the suggestions.
    >
    > I was able to change the password, via preferences-security and/or
    > tools, Password Manager, and I can see the changed password under
    > Password Manager-Show Password. However, I don't see a seperate entry in
    > Password Manager for "user name." Would that be somewhere other than in
    > Password Manager? Also, I'm using my email address for user name under
    > the initial mailservice setup menu. - I thought that I should keep that
    > name for consistency. - Obviously, I'm sadly confused. Surprisingly,
    > however, this newsgroup server does seem to be working.
    >

    > Jim Cate

    Well, I returned to Netscape Mail and noticed the "new messages" notice,
    so I checked my mail once more, and now my email account seems to be
    working. Whatever changes I made seem to have worked after a short
    delay, perhaps related to logging out and back in.

    So, I'm assuming that I may be OK. - Thanks for the help.

    I have one question. - Yesterday I did see some email messages to me on
    Yahoo mail. Will I miss the email received on Yahoo?

    Thanks again,
    Jim

    JimC, Oct 19, 2008
  4. JimC

    Rod Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 07:29:14 -0600, JimC wrote:

    > JimC wrote:
    >>

    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> I don't have Netscape 7.2 installed, but if memory serves me, click on
    >>> Tools, Password Manager, find the user name AND password [two
    >>> entries], and delete them
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the suggestions.
    >>
    >> I was able to change the password, via preferences-security and/or
    >> tools, Password Manager, and I can see the changed password under
    >> Password Manager-Show Password. However, I don't see a seperate entry in
    >> Password Manager for "user name." Would that be somewhere other than in
    >> Password Manager? Also, I'm using my email address for user name under
    >> the initial mailservice setup menu. - I thought that I should keep that
    >> name for consistency. - Obviously, I'm sadly confused. Surprisingly,
    >> however, this newsgroup server does seem to be working.
    >>

    >> Jim Cate

    > Well, I returned to Netscape Mail and noticed the "new messages" notice,
    > so I checked my mail once more, and now my email account seems to be
    > working. Whatever changes I made seem to have worked after a short
    > delay, perhaps related to logging out and back in.
    >
    > So, I'm assuming that I may be OK. - Thanks for the help.
    >
    > I have one question. - Yesterday I did see some email messages to me on
    > Yahoo mail. Will I miss the email received on Yahoo?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Jim

    I don't know anything about Netscape Mail, but you can download email from
    your sbcglobal/Yahoo account using any Pop3 client. You need to use SSL
    security using port 995 for retreival (pop.att.yahoo.com), and port 465 for
    sending (smtp.att.yahoo.com) Your user name must also include the domain
    ().
    Thunderbird works quite nicely, as well as other clients. You may be able
    to create a second account with Netscape and receive both.
    Your other option is to use the web based yahoo mail. (mail.yahoo.com)

    Rod, Oct 19, 2008
  5. JimC

    JimC Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > JimC wrote:
    >

    >> JimC wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the suggestions.
    >>>
    >>> I was able to change the password, via preferences-security and/or
    >>> tools, Password Manager, and I can see the changed password under
    >>> Password Manager-Show Password. However, I don't see a seperate entry
    >>> in Password Manager for "user name." Would that be somewhere other
    >>> than in Password Manager? Also, I'm using my email address for user
    >>> name under the initial mailservice setup menu. - I thought that I
    >>> should keep that name for consistency. - Obviously, I'm sadly
    >>> confused. Surprisingly, however, this newsgroup server does seem to
    >>> be working.
    >>>

    >>> Jim Cate

    >> Well, I returned to Netscape Mail and noticed the "new messages"
    >> notice, so I checked my mail once more, and now my email account seems
    >> to be working. Whatever changes I made seem to have worked after a
    >> short delay, perhaps related to logging out and back in.
    >>
    >> So, I'm assuming that I may be OK. - Thanks for the help.

    > maybe it was a reboot of the program. Did you do that?
    >

    >> I have one question. - Yesterday I did see some email messages to me
    >> on Yahoo mail. Will I miss the email received on Yahoo?
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >> Jim

    > of course you'll miss them. Why don't you follow the instructions I
    > gave previously about downloading yahoo mail into Netscape?

    Have a nice day Peter.

    Jim

    JimC, Oct 20, 2008