Help needed on hot pixels

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by lphilpot, Jul 1, 2007.

  1. lphilpot

    lphilpot Guest

    I have a brand new Rebel XT that apparently has a couple of hot
    pixels. I didn't notice them until I shot something that had a totally
    black area (I happened to pan across it at 100% and saw the red spot).
    Turns out there's another one elsewhere. They don't show up on a
    totally white image, though (but they do show up on several separate
    black images I shot). Unfortunately right now I don't have any "real"
    images to examine, since I'm still very much testing and learning
    (i.e., I've had it only two days and have canned the few test images I
    shot).

    My questions -

    What's the expected/typical defect rate in these sensors? If I send it
    back, do I even stand a reasonable chance of getting a better one?

    I've also read about a technique that involves doing a manual sensor
    "cleaning" with the lens cap on, waiting 30 seconds then turning it
    off and back on again. Does this really make the XT map the stuck
    pixel to an average of the surrounding pixels in subsequent use? If
    so, does it have to be done only once, or every time I power on? I was
    going to try this, but my battery is apparently a bit too low (I'll
    stick it on the charger and try tomorrow).

    I'm no pro, but this /is/ a new camera. Still, two out of 8 million is
    a pretty small number to start with and as far as I can tell
    everything else about the camera is in perfect shape. If there's
    statistically a minimal chance of improvement (particularly if the
    technique above works), well.... ??

    Thanks!
    lphilpot, Jul 1, 2007

  2. lphilpot

    Guest

    On Jun 30, 8:07 pm, lphilpot <> wrote:
    > I have a brand new Rebel XT that apparently has a couple of hot
    > pixels.

    Not an answer to your question, but something on the topic of hot
    pixels that might be of some interest: I have a Panasonic FX7 pocket
    camera that I use to take photos from a glider, often at fairly high
    altitude. At sea level, there are no hot pixels, but somewhere around
    15,000' one pixel goes red hot -- in the sense that a black background
    will still have a red dot there.

    Has anyone else seen anything like this?

    A partial solution to your problem might also be found with
    GraphicConverter (a Mac program -- but there probably is something
    similar for Windows). It has a utility that will map a hot pixel to
    the average of the surrounding pixels. I haven't used it and so cannot
    comment on how good it is, but there is something to do what you want.
    Just involving more steps than one would like.

    Martin
    , Jul 1, 2007