Help needed on ext. Maxtor 5000LE not formatted???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by js, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. js

    js Guest

    Could someone help me please,

    I have an external Maxtor drive 5000LE 80 gig I used and moved around 5
    pc's.

    Yesterday, WindosXP Pro did not recognise it anymore. The drive is listed
    in the directory tree but when I click on it, windows says this drive is not
    formatted, do you want to format it now ...

    I tried on another pc, also did re-instal the driver, but with the same
    results. When I right click on the drive to see the Properties, I see 0
    Used space 0 Free space and 0 Capacity ...

    I did download a trial copy of EasyRecovery software from Ontrack, and this
    software sees all my data.

    Should I purchase a working copy of it ($200.00) and try to recover my data
    or is there another option that I overlooked?

    Thanks for the help,

    John

    js, Aug 30, 2003

  2. js

    paul s Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:45:33 -0400, js wrote:

    > Could someone help me please,
    >
    > I have an external Maxtor drive 5000LE 80 gig I used and moved around 5
    > pc's.
    >
    > Yesterday, WindosXP Pro did not recognise it anymore. The drive is listed
    > in the directory tree but when I click on it, windows says this drive is not
    > formatted, do you want to format it now ...
    >

    > I tried on another pc, also did re-instal the driver, but with the same
    > results. When I right click on the drive to see the Properties, I see 0
    > Used space 0 Free space and 0 Capacity ...
    >

    > I did download a trial copy of EasyRecovery software from Ontrack, and this
    > software sees all my data.
    >
    > Should I purchase a working copy of it ($200.00) and try to recover my data
    > or is there another option that I overlooked?

    The moral is. Don't keep all your data on one harddrive. Back it up to a
    CD or something.

    --
    Paul S
    - The moving cursor writes, and having written, blinks on. -

    paul s, Aug 31, 2003