Help Needed on a Abit IC7 Max 3 Motherboard

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Loupole, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. Loupole

    Loupole Guest

    Hello People !!

    I was testing the Raid on the abit ic7 max 3 motherboard works fine and I
    had nothing wrong with it...But decided to go back to Sata\ide and now when
    I try to install windows its tells me my harddrives are not config right and
    it crashes and won't even dectect my harddrives anymore...What is going
    on...I am at a loose end...And also why doesn't my Sata work with the
    harddrive anymore its only after I raided the drives this has happen...Now
    my harddrives are working in IDE for now but not with the Sata
    controller....Is there a settting or something or have I done something
    wrong and maybe damged my motherboard.....

    Before I didn't see my hard drives under the system IDE ATA\ATAPI
    Controllers now its there when it didn't use to be....

    Loupole

    Ps Please Help !!
    Loupole, Apr 28, 2004

  2. > Hello People !!

    > I was testing the Raid on the abit ic7 max 3 motherboard works fine and I
    > had nothing wrong with it...But decided to go back to Sata\ide and now

    when
    > I try to install windows its tells me my harddrives are not config right

    and
    > it crashes and won't even dectect my harddrives anymore...What is going
    > on...I am at a loose end...And also why doesn't my Sata work with the
    > harddrive anymore its only after I raided the drives this has happen...Now
    > my harddrives are working in IDE for now but not with the Sata
    > controller....Is there a settting or something or have I done something
    > wrong and maybe damged my motherboard.....
    >
    > Before I didn't see my hard drives under the system IDE ATA\ATAPI
    > Controllers now its there when it didn't use to be....
    >
    > Loupole
    >
    > Ps Please Help !!

    Dunno if this is what you mean, but i was completely unable to get my system
    to boot to a SATA drive on the first or second port (the ones on the Intel
    chipset controller) while i had a standard IDE drive plugged in.

    I ended up putting my 160GB IDE in to my other PC and purchased two new
    120GB SATA drives which now occupy the first two ports on the Silicon Image
    controller.

    So the setup on my IC7-MAX3 is as follows

    Primary Master: DVD-RW
    Primary Slave : none
    Secondary Master : DVD-Combo
    Secondary Slave: none
    SATA1: WD 36GB Raptor
    SATA2: Seagate 120GB
    SATA3: Seagate 120GB
    SATA4: Seagate 120GB
    SATA5: none
    SATA6: none

    that setup works fine
    my first attempt:

    Primary Master: DVD-RW
    Primary Slave : none
    Secondary Master : DVD-Combo
    Secondary Slave: Seagate 160GB
    SATA1: WD 36GB Raptor
    SATA2: Seagate 120GB
    SATA3: none
    SATA4: none
    SATA5: none
    SATA6: none

    would either not allow me to boot from a SATA drive, or would simply hang
    the system just before it attempts to load an O/S. I once had a similar
    problem on my Gigabyte board, temporarily solved by running the SATA in
    Combined mode, meaning i had to run my ROM drives on the same channel as i
    lost the secondary channel due to SATA mapping. That was eventually fixed
    in a later BIOS. Abit doesn't seem to have fixed this.

    Make sure PCI IDE Busmaster is enabled in the BIOS.

    Steve
    Stephen Williams, Apr 28, 2004

  3. Loupole

    Loupole Guest

    Hey Stephen

    This is my set up tell me what you think...

    PM Asus 52x CD Rom
    PS LG DVD Rom
    SM LG CD Writer
    SATA 1 120GB Seagate
    SATA 2 120GB Seagate

    What do you think I should do.....

    Loupole

    Loupole, Apr 28, 2004
  4. Loupole

    Loupole Guest

    Thanks Stephen you are help full I might need to set it up like yours
    now....

    Loupole, Apr 28, 2004
  5. "Loupole" <> wrote in message
    > Hey Stephen
    >
    > This is my set up tell me what you think...
    >
    > PM Asus 52x CD Rom
    > PS LG DVD Rom
    > SM LG CD Writer
    > SATA 1 120GB Seagate
    > SATA 2 120GB Seagate
    >
    > What do you think I should do.....
    >
    > Loupole

    So i take it those drives are on the two SATA ports that sit about a quarter
    of the way up from the bottom of the board, not on any of the 4 across the
    bottom of the board?

    If you can't install windows on to them, i would suspect that the boot order
    in the BIOS is wrong, or perhaps you have the SATA ports set to combined
    mode rather than enhanced mode. I don't think Abit actually uses the terms
    Enhanced or Combined.

    Look in the BIOS under Integrated Peripherals then OnChip IDE Device. If
    you don't want RAID, it should look like this:

    OnChip Serial ATA Mode: IDE
    - SATA RAID ROM: Disabled
    OnChip Serial ATA: Manual
    - Serial ATA 1 Mode: IDE-3 Master
    - Serial ATA 2 Mode: IDE-4 Master

    Remember, OnChip means the first two SATA ports. The other 4 ports are
    found under Onboard PCI Device and you can disable that Serial ATA
    Controller if you have no drives on the 4 ports at the bottom of the board.

    Steve
    Stephen Williams, Apr 29, 2004