Help needed /Novice

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Help Please from a Novice.

    John, Sep 17, 2003

  2. John

    Boomer Guest

    John said:

    > Help Please from a Novice.
    >> How do I find out the speed of my processor ? I have been
    >> looking at new Dell computers and am mind boggled about the
    >> speeds - do I need a 3.2 G/Hz or will a 2.8G/Hz be fast enough ?
    >> How do I find out what I already got on this computer ? I tried
    >> clicking on my computer but it doesn't really tell me the speed.
    >> As I live in a village miles from nowhere - I have no hope of
    >> ever getting broadband - I cant afford a Satellite link either
    >> !!! Do I really need a CD re-writer ?
    >> So many questions - I'm getting more and more confused as time
    >> goes by !! Thanks for your help and if you have any tips - I
    >> will be extremely happy - John in Cornwall

    No need to repost the same message. See the prior reply.

    F5 to refresh the page and View> Show All Posts
    or
    From the View menu choose Current View > Replies to my posts
    Use Help for more tips on configuring OE

    Boomer, Sep 17, 2003

  3. John

    John Guest

    Thank you for your help.
    I downloaded Belarc Advisor and it tells me I have a 500 meg/Hrt processor.
    32 kilobyte memory Cache
    512 Kilobyte Secondary Cache
    is this a 3.2 G/Herts machine or a 2.8 ?
    do I need to spend another £200 on a 3.2 G/Hertz machine or will a slower
    one be camparable to what I have already ?
    Thanks for your help ...

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    John said:

    > Help Please from a Novice.
    >> How do I find out the speed of my processor ? I have been
    >> looking at new Dell computers and am mind boggled about the
    >> speeds - do I need a 3.2 G/Hz or will a 2.8G/Hz be fast enough ?
    >> How do I find out what I already got on this computer ? I tried
    >> clicking on my computer but it doesn't really tell me the speed.
    >> As I live in a village miles from nowhere - I have no hope of
    >> ever getting broadband - I cant afford a Satellite link either
    >> !!! Do I really need a CD re-writer ?
    >> So many questions - I'm getting more and more confused as time
    >> goes by !! Thanks for your help and if you have any tips - I
    >> will be extremely happy - John in Cornwall

    No need to repost the same message. See the prior reply.

    F5 to refresh the page and View> Show All Posts
    or
    From the View menu choose Current View > Replies to my posts
    Use Help for more tips on configuring OE

    John, Sep 17, 2003
  4. John

    PC Guest

    John

    > I downloaded Belarc Advisor and it tells me I have a 500 meg/Hrt

    processor.
    > 32 kilobyte memory Cache
    > 512 Kilobyte Secondary Cache
    > is this a 3.2 G/Herts machine or a 2.8 ?

    No, you have a "0.5 Ghz" CPU (Central Processing Unit) 1000 Mhz = 1 Ghz
    (Where M = Mega and G = Giga)

    > do I need to spend another £200 on a 3.2 G/Hertz machine or will a slower
    > one be camparable to what I have already ?

    Only you can decide if a faster machine will satisfy your needs. Remember
    the faster the CPU the dearer per Ghz. Currently the best bang for buck is
    in the 2 -2.5Ghz range.
    I would suggest reading up on magazine reviews and advice columns learning
    what the 'jargon' means.

    >Do I really need a CD re-writer ?

    Most new PC's come with them standard unless the price is being really
    screwed to the floor.
    They are becoming the 'standard' way of storing data and have 450 times the
    capacity of a floppy disk for the same cost per disk.
    Again your call, the decision depends on what 'you' need in the way of
    storage capacity.

    > So many questions - I'm getting more and more confused as time
    > goes by !! Thanks for your help and if you have any tips

    You may find the advice on these websites helpful:

    http://www.css.msu.edu/PC-Guide/

    http://computers.sympatico.ca/viewz/guides/compbuy.html

    http://www.geek.com/htbc/glanbuy.htm

    Cheers