Help needed for AP Aironet 1100 firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Xavier, Jan 10, 2007.

  1. Xavier

    Xavier Guest

    Hello,

    I inherited a new customer network to manage. This customer uses two Aironet
    1100 AP for providing wireless network. I have configured this wireless
    network so that it uses certificates and a Windows-based Radius server for
    authentication. During this configuration work, I found that the AP were
    providing the Radius server with an incorrect NAS-Port type. Googling
    revealed that other people have enountered this situation and a firware
    upgrade is required to solve the problem.

    I must confess that I have no experience with Cisco access points and IOS
    and the customer lost all documentation. I am looking for some guidance for
    upgrading the firmware. I am not sure if I have to use things like
    "Autonomous to lightweight mode upgrade tool" ?

    Here is the current configuration:

    Product/Model Number: AIR-AP1120B-E-K9
    System Software Filename: c1100-k9w7-tar.122-11.JA
    System Software Version: 12.2(11)JA
    Bootloader Version: 12.2(4)JA

    I also would like to be able to roll back to the current version but IOS
    v12.2(11) seems not to be downloadable anymore on Cisco's web site.

    Any help would be highly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Xavier
    Xavier, Jan 10, 2007

  2. "Xavier" <> crashed Echelon writing

    > I also would like to be able to roll back to the current version but IOS
    > v12.2(11) seems not to be downloadable anymore on Cisco's web site.

    12.2(11) is deffered, current ED IOS for 1100 is 12.3.11-JX1

    If you really need a backup of old firmware just copy it out from the AP.

    --
    Bjarke Andersen
    Bjarke Andersen, Jan 10, 2007

  3. Hi Xavier,

    You may wish to investigate 1100 AP Managing Firmware and
    Configurations:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a0080184aa2.html

    as well as 1100 AP Troubleshooting:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a0080184ad5.html

    You can locate the latest firmware for your platform and locate the
    latest version of firmware, drivers, or utilities by looking at the
    numbering sequence.

    http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/pub/MDFTree.x?butype=wireless

    Cisco IOS Upgrade Planner:

    http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosplanner.cgi?majorRel=

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    http://www.BradReese.Com
    www.BradReese.Com, Jan 10, 2007
  4. Xavier

    Xavier Guest

    Thanks for the information.

    Xavier

    Xavier, Jan 10, 2007
  5. Xavier

    Xavier Guest

    Thanks for the pointers. I've downloaded the docs and will read them
    carefully.

    Xavier

    Xavier, Jan 10, 2007
  6. Note that 12.3(11)JX1 is *not* for autonomous IOS operation - it's for
    LWAPP only.

    Latest IOS for Aironet APs is 12.3(11)JA1 (confusingly, this is more
    recent than 12.3(11)JX1.) However, 12.3(11)JA branch autonomous IOS
    won't run on 16MB APs such as the 1100 ... the latest sw for aIOS
    for the 1100 is 12.3(8)JEA (with 12.3(8)JEA1 due out by the end of this
    week, last I heard.)

    So I would first copy the existing 12.2(11)JA code (and your config)
    from the AP to a TFTP server. (Use "archive upload" for the former
    operation and "write net" [or equivalent] for the latter.) Then try
    putting 12.3(8)JEA on.

    Aaron

    ---

    ~ Thanks for the information.
    ~
    ~ Xavier
    ~ "Bjarke Andersen" <> wrote in message
    ~ news:Xns98B49A9E9D52bjoegdk@130.225.247.90...
    ~ > "Xavier" <> crashed Echelon writing
    ~ > news:eo2rhe$b7a$:
    ~ >
    ~ >> I also would like to be able to roll back to the current version but IOS
    ~ >> v12.2(11) seems not to be downloadable anymore on Cisco's web site.
    ~ >
    ~ > 12.2(11) is deffered, current ED IOS for 1100 is 12.3.11-JX1
    ~ >
    ~ > If you really need a backup of old firmware just copy it out from the AP.
    ~ >
    ~ > --
    ~ > Bjarke Andersen
    ~