Help needed for an compatibility question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Gerald, Sep 13, 2008.

  1. Gerald

    Gerald Guest

    Hi
    I have this Mobo and Graphics card below and was wondering if they are
    compatible with each other.
    I have heard that plugging an incompatible AGP card in a non compatible Mobo
    can damage the Mobo or AGP card even.

    Mobo's AGP is 1.5v support
    http://tinyurl.com/6maz9x

    APG card
    http://tinyurl.com/66bh8h

    I got told that the card is universal and will fit any AGP Mobo because the
    Mobo will sense the voltage but I'm not too sure about this?

    Many thanks for your input.

    Gerald.
    Gerald, Sep 13, 2008

  2. Gerald

    Paul Guest

    Gerald wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have this Mobo and Graphics card below and was wondering if they are
    > compatible with each other.
    > I have heard that plugging an incompatible AGP card in a non compatible Mobo
    > can damage the Mobo or AGP card even.
    >
    > Mobo's AGP is 1.5v support
    > http://tinyurl.com/6maz9x
    >
    > APG card
    > http://tinyurl.com/66bh8h
    >
    > I got told that the card is universal and will fit any AGP Mobo because the
    > Mobo will sense the voltage but I'm not too sure about this?
    >
    > Many thanks for your input.
    >
    > Gerald.

    Motherboard uses SIS661FX. The key in the AGP slot is in the 1.5V position.

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/Image/motherboard_productimage_8s661fxmp-rz_big.jpg

    You can see here, the video card is universal keyed. It can work in a 1.5V
    motherboard or a 3.3V motherboard. It is an FX5200 AGP. I've tested that
    card, in both my AGP8X motherboards, and in a 3.3V only 440BX board, and
    it works fine. The only thing wrong with the FX5200, is it is not a
    big gaming card. The 3DMark2001SE benchmark on it, is a bit less than
    5000.

    http://www.asus.com/999/images/products/271/271_l.jpg

    So no problems to be expected.

    The only issue I see with it, might be the quality of the DVI interface.
    I'm not sure what resolutions it supports. And I bet you'll have trouble
    confirming the available options.

    This FX5200 here, promises 1600x1200 on DVI digital. You'll want to
    use a recent driver to get that. Right now, I'm using driver 81.89 on a
    PCI version of the FX5200 (I'm using a PCI card, so I can flash an
    AGP card video BIOS chip).

    http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=128-A8-N291-LX&family=GeForce FX Family

    Paul
    Paul, Sep 13, 2008

  3. Gerald

    Gerald Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:gafj0v$480$...
    > Gerald wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> I have this Mobo and Graphics card below and was wondering if they are
    >> compatible with each other.
    >> I have heard that plugging an incompatible AGP card in a non compatible
    >> Mobo can damage the Mobo or AGP card even.
    >>
    >> Mobo's AGP is 1.5v support
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6maz9x
    >>
    >> APG card
    >> http://tinyurl.com/66bh8h
    >>
    >> I got told that the card is universal and will fit any AGP Mobo because
    >> the Mobo will sense the voltage but I'm not too sure about this?
    >>
    >> Many thanks for your input.
    >>
    >> Gerald.

    > Motherboard uses SIS661FX. The key in the AGP slot is in the 1.5V
    > position.
    >
    > http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/Image/motherboard_productimage_8s661fxmp-rz_big.jpg
    >
    > You can see here, the video card is universal keyed. It can work in a 1.5V
    > motherboard or a 3.3V motherboard. It is an FX5200 AGP. I've tested that
    > card, in both my AGP8X motherboards, and in a 3.3V only 440BX board, and
    > it works fine. The only thing wrong with the FX5200, is it is not a
    > big gaming card. The 3DMark2001SE benchmark on it, is a bit less than
    > 5000.
    >
    > http://www.asus.com/999/images/products/271/271_l.jpg
    >
    > So no problems to be expected.
    >
    > The only issue I see with it, might be the quality of the DVI interface.
    > I'm not sure what resolutions it supports. And I bet you'll have trouble
    > confirming the available options.
    >
    > This FX5200 here, promises 1600x1200 on DVI digital. You'll want to
    > use a recent driver to get that. Right now, I'm using driver 81.89 on a
    > PCI version of the FX5200 (I'm using a PCI card, so I can flash an
    > AGP card video BIOS chip).
    >
    > http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=128-A8-N291-LX&family=GeForce FX Family
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks for that Paul.
    So in effect this AGP card will work in an AGP 1.5v slot only Mobo without
    damage to either?

    Cheers.
    Gerald, Sep 13, 2008
  4. Gerald

    Paul Guest

    Gerald wrote:

    > Thanks for that Paul.
    > So in effect this AGP card will work in an AGP 1.5v slot only Mobo without
    > damage to either?
    >
    > Cheers.

    Yup. It works in anything.

    If you don't believe me, try this site.