    one of these lights?

    Thanks
    , Nov 16, 2005

  2. Hunt Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >I need to hang my Photogenic StudioMax II light on a boom arm - I've
    >looked at the arms available on Adorama and there seems to be a wide
    >range of options.
    >
    >The problem is that it's not always clear how much weight these arms
    >hold - does anyone have a recommendation for a boom arm that can hold
    >one of these lights?
    >
    >Thanks

    I have used the Bogen "Maxi-boom" for twenty years, with no problem, other
    than an occasional crank handle breaking (I just keep a few of each - dang
    things are asymetrical). If you do not exceed the supporting capability of the
    arm itself, the best solution is to stop by and exercise shop and buy a load
    of "ankle weights." Most have Velcro straps, and will attach to the ends of
    the bracing of the arm's stand. When I have dangled large softboxes at full-
    extension of the arm, I use two 5# ankle weights per leg, mounted as close
    to the outer edges of the "tripod" of the stand, as is possible, and then add
    two to the ballast weight, which is included with the boom.

    The rig, without ankle weights, weighs about 25# and breaks into 3 pieces:
    boom arm (8'), stand (about 5' when legs are collapsed and center column is
    retracted), and the ballast weight. Seems that I paid about US$200, but that
    was 20 years ago.

    Hunt

    PS pick up a handful of the crank handles, as assistants will invariably let
    the boom hit the ground, by taking off the ballast, or the softbox, and NOT
    stabilizing the unit!
    Hunt, Nov 16, 2005