    be helpful.
    If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some sort
    of add on finder.

    John Smith, Mar 11, 2006

  2. On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:29:36 -0500, "John Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
    >viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.
    >
    >Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and grab
    >shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact units
    >have these days.
    >
    >Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore would
    >be helpful.
    >If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some sort
    >of add on finder.

    I just wonder how Henri Cartier-Bresson was able to do street
    photography with chimping everything he shot.

    Learn the basic of photography and you won't care about having to
    preview it.

    Go read this.

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/funkeycam.shtml

    "A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
    color of blood in black and white"

    David Douglas Duncan
    Speaking on why in Vietnam
    he worked only in black and white
    http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/

    John A. Stovall, Mar 11, 2006

  3. John Smith

    John Fryatt Guest

    John A. Stovall wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:29:36 -0500, "John Smith"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
    >> viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.
    >>
    >> Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and grab
    >> shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact units
    >> have these days.
    >>
    >> Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore would
    >> be helpful.
    >> If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some sort
    >> of add on finder.

    > I just wonder how Henri Cartier-Bresson was able to do street
    > photography with chimping everything he shot.
    >
    > Learn the basic of photography and you won't care about having to
    > preview it.
    >
    > Go read this.
    >
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/funkeycam.shtml

    I like it. Might even get one.

    However, I thought the OPs point was NOT to use the LCD (for composing
    or 'chimping') but to use a normal viewfinder, which some cameras don't
    have these days. E.g. Ricoh GR Digital.

    You could attach a shoe to the top of the camera then fit an auxiliary
    viewfinder to it. The Russians made one for the Zorki/Fed range I think,
    plus there are others around. Problem would be attaching the shoe.
    Screws are liable to mangle the 'works' inside I would think. You could
    glue it on, but that seems a bit kludgy.
    Or... how about some kind of bracket that screwed into the tripod mount,
    and had a shoe at the top. Hmmm, more kludgery. :-(

    John Fryatt, Mar 11, 2006
  4. In article <670a2$4413333a$40185080$>, John Smith
    <> wrote:

    > I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
    > viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.
    >
    > Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and grab
    > shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact units
    > have these days.
    >
    > Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore would
    > be helpful.
    > If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some sort
    > of add on finder.

    This is just great. One idiot in one of the other photo groups wants an
    LCD preview for DSLRs - this moron wants a wire-frame viewer for a P&S.

    Randall Ainsworth, Mar 11, 2006
  5. John Smith

    Battleax Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <670a2$4413333a$40185080$>, John Smith
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
    >> viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.
    >>
    >> Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and
    >> grab
    >> shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact units
    >> have these days.
    >>
    >> Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore
    >> would
    >> be helpful.
    >> If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some
    >> sort
    >> of add on finder.

    > This is just great. One idiot in one of the other photo groups wants an
    > LCD preview for DSLRs - this moron wants a wire-frame viewer for a P&S.

    And when you get an idiot and a moron together...you get Randal Anusworth

    Battleax, Mar 11, 2006
  6. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Your point being? The camera in your link had a viewfinder, and I'm sure the
    camera used by Henri Cartier-Bresson did too.

    You are confusing apples and oranges... a basic non-LCD aiming device has
    nothing to do with "previewing", in fact, quite the opposite.

    John Smith, Mar 11, 2006
  7. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Actually, that might work if I can find one of those Russian jobs. I hadn't
    thought that. A little Velcro (sp?) should do the job.

    John Smith, Mar 11, 2006
  8. In article <>, Battleax
    <> wrote:

    > And when you get an idiot and a moron together...you get Randal Anusworth

    Hey, that's clever. I've never heard that before in my life. Did you go
    to school with Beavis and Butt-Head?

    You people really need to concern yourself with creating quality
    images, not the do-dads.

    Randall Ainsworth, Mar 12, 2006
  9. John Smith

    Jem Raid Guest

    > This is just great. One idiot in one of the other photo groups wants an
    > LCD preview for DSLRs - this moron wants a wire-frame viewer for a P&S.

    If you can make a wire frame (I used to used a wooden frame with my 5x4)
    should be quite easy and you can afford one of the new Panasonic DSLR's then
    you'll have both.

    I use a C-5060 and the tilting screen can be used like a TLR very useful
    indeed at times.

    Jem

    -------------------------------------
    Birmingham Independent Photographers
    http://bip.wikispaces.com/

    Jem Raid, Mar 12, 2006
  10. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Son, you say you're happy with that LCD on your Point and Shoot, and I'm
    sure you probably get some nice static snap shots of family and friends
    grinning at ya.

    But as you gain experience, you'll there's more to photography than static
    shots.

    Even the early 21/4's, which had a viewing system comparable to the LCD's,
    made provision for a fast (if not accurate) shot finder.

    It all comes down to what you do with a camera... you said for your
    purposes, the LCD is the perfect solution...Well, for me, it's not.

    John Smith, Mar 12, 2006
  11. John Smith

    Jem Raid Guest

    > people really need to concern yourself with creating quality
    > images, not the do-dads.

    I concur, so much seems to have been lost, for those who are even a little
    bit interested in images may I suggest just a few names, Annie W Brigman,
    Alfred Steiglitz, Paul Strand, Andre Kertesz, Paul Hill, John Blakemore,
    Thomas Joshua Cooper, Google will find their images. Books of their images
    are available quite cheaply in 2nd hand bookshops.

    Jem

    -------------------------------------

    Jem Raid, Mar 12, 2006
  12. John Smith

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Jem Raid" <> wrote in message

    >> people really need to concern yourself with creating quality
    >> images, not the do-dads.

    > I concur, so much seems to have been lost, for those who are even a little
    > bit interested in images may I suggest just a few names, Annie W Brigman,
    > Alfred Steiglitz, Paul Strand, Andre Kertesz, Paul Hill, John Blakemore,
    > Thomas Joshua Cooper, Google will find their images. Books of their images
    > are available quite cheaply in 2nd hand bookshops.
    >
    > Jem
    >

    > -------------------------------------
    > Birmingham Independent Photographers
    > http://bip.wikispaces.com/

    Where could one fine a wire frame viewfinder that will slide into a hotshoe?

    Rudy Benner, Mar 12, 2006
  13. John Smith

    dh Guest

    To sign up or learn more, click here:
    https://www.paypal.com/us/mrb/pal=XT5TXXLGSGEGJ
    "Rudy Benner" <> wrote in message

    | "Jem Raid" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | >> people really need to concern yourself with creating quality
    | >> images, not the do-dads.
    | >
    | > I concur, so much seems to have been lost, for those who are even a
    little
    | > bit interested in images may I suggest just a few names, Annie W
    Brigman,
    | > Alfred Steiglitz, Paul Strand, Andre Kertesz, Paul Hill, John Blakemore,
    | > Thomas Joshua Cooper, Google will find their images. Books of their
    images
    | > are available quite cheaply in 2nd hand bookshops.
    | >
    | > Jem

    Check your closet, there may be a wire clothes hanger in there.
    -Dave

    dh, Mar 12, 2006
  14. John Smith

    irwell Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
    >viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.
    >
    >Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and grab
    >shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact units
    >have these days.
    >
    >Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore would
    >be helpful.
    >If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some sort
    >of add on finder.

    You might look into those LED sights that are made for Paintball Guns.
    I adapted one to use with my Panasonic FZ15 for action shots.
    Cost about $20, Google for NcStar.

    irwell, Mar 12, 2006
  15. John Smith

    Skip M Guest

    Actually, if your camera has a hot shoe, there are a plethora of viewfinders
    out there for Voigtlanders and such that turned 'em into range finders, or
    gave more range for different lenses than the standard rangefinder covered,
    you should be able to find one, used, on ebay. The rangefinder mounted on
    the hotshoe, if I remember correctly. (I never used one, only saw
    pictures.)
    Something like this:
    http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Mar 12, 2006
  16. John Smith

    Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    > I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
    > viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.
    >
    > Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and grab
    > shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact units
    > have these days.
    >
    > Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore would
    > be helpful.
    > If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some sort
    > of add on finder.

    A slightly different aproach is to mount a magnifying lens in front of
    the LCD to (effectively) turn it into an EVF.
    That way, you could see what the camera is realy pointing at and also
    exclude glare from bright ambient lighting without having to hold it at
    arms length to see the LCD.
    I think hoodman makes something like this, but all it realy is is just
    a tube with a simple lens attached to it and the whole thing attaches
    by velcro to the camera body.

    , Mar 12, 2006
  17. John Smith

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <>, Battleax
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> And when you get an idiot and a moron together...you get Randal Anusworth

    > Hey, that's clever. I've never heard that before in my life. Did you go
    > to school with Beavis and Butt-Head?
    >
    > You people really need to concern yourself with creating quality
    > images, not the do-dads.

    Better yet, concern themselves with buying a camera with the
    desired/needed features, rather than thinking of adding them on after
    purchase....

    Ron Hunter, Mar 12, 2006
  18. John Smith

    Tesco News Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
    > viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.
    >
    > Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and grab
    > shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact units
    > have these days.
    >
    > Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore
    > would be helpful.
    > If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some
    > sort of add on finder.

    What a load of rubbish.

    If you want a P & S with an optical VF, then Bloody well buy one that has an
    Optical VF. There are plenty of models available.

    Leave the LCD Only P & Ss to the idiots who don't know any better.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Mar 12, 2006
  19. John Smith

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 20:57:49 -0500, Rudy Benner wrote:

    > "Jem Raid" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> people really need to concern yourself with creating quality
    >>> images, not the do-dads.

    >> I concur, so much seems to have been lost, for those who are even a little
    >> bit interested in images may I suggest just a few names, Annie W Brigman,
    >> Alfred Steiglitz, Paul Strand, Andre Kertesz, Paul Hill, John Blakemore,
    >> Thomas Joshua Cooper, Google will find their images. Books of their images
    >> are available quite cheaply in 2nd hand bookshops.
    >>
    >> Jem
    >>

    >> -------------------------------------
    >> Birmingham Independent Photographers
    >> http://bip.wikispaces.com/
    >>

    > Where could one fine a wire frame viewfinder that will slide into a hotshoe?

    In your workshop.
    --
    Neil
    Delete 'l' to reply by email

    Neil Ellwood, Mar 12, 2006
  20. John Smith

    ½ Confused Guest

    someone wrote:

    > > > And when you get an idiot and a moron together...

    usenet -_-

    > > Hey, that's clever.

    thankyouverymuch

    > > You people

    One never knows when someone will write to YOU, you people.

    > > concern yourself with creating quality images, not the do-dads.

    Someone have to create the doo-dads for to create quality images.

    > Better yet, concern themselves with buying a camera with the
    > desired/needed features, rather than thinking of adding them
    > on after purchase....

    No one MAKES a camera with the features *I* want. :(

    Jeff

    ½ Confused, Mar 12, 2006