Help - need to fix moron's screw-ups

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by dstvns, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. dstvns

    dstvns Guest

    Hi, I do volunteer computer assistance for a local non-profit poor
    and low-income housing organization. Last Friday they brought someone
    else in who would "fix" their computers. Instead he removed non-OEM
    XP from all the machines and somehow installed ME onto the systems.
    In the process he screwed up all the Office 2003 applications, since
    now they must run on ME. He even removed some printer drivers in the
    process. This completely screwed them over, since this is a busy time
    for them print-wise (printing fliers, letters to contributors, etc.).

    I was able to fix the printer troubles this moron caused, and even
    installed a quick & dirty microsoft printer redundancy network (simple
    sharing between printers). They were ecstatic, but the Office 2003
    problems persist.

    I tried using microsoft update to update ME. Big mistake. Instead of
    plugging holes, it completely froze dial-up networking, forcing me to
    completely tear apart the protocols and services in ME. I then had to
    un-install the updates, and re-build the dial-up networking and
    network structure from scratch.

    I don't know XP very well, and I was hoping someone could answer a
    question - could this guy have stolen the XP code somehow? It was not
    an OEM version of XP, so I was curious if he possibly stole XP for
    himself and licensed it on his own computers. Thanks,

    Dan
    dstvns, Feb 11, 2004

  2. dstvns

    Rick Rottman Guest

    dstvns <> wrote:

    >I don't know XP very well, and I was hoping someone could answer a
    >question - could this guy have stolen the XP code somehow? It was not
    >an OEM version of XP, so I was curious if he possibly stole XP for
    >himself and licensed it on his own computers. Thanks,

    He very well might be a moron, but it seems to me what he did was
    simple thievery. There is not reason to whatsoever to remove Windows
    XP from multiple machines and then replace it with ME. Retrieving the
    Windows XP serial number would have been as easy as selecting
    Start>Settings>Control Panel>System and then writing down the number.
    No hacking required. If XP had been OEM, simply copying it off the
    back of the case could have been done as well.

    The guy definitely has some 'splaining to do. It just doesn't make
    sense. ME is arguably the most buggy microsoft OS. It uses FAT and
    XP uses NTFS. You cannot simply install ME over XP. Not that people
    ever even try.

    - Rick

    Needs More Cow Bell
    Rick Rottman, Feb 11, 2004

  3. dstvns

    dstvns Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:28:08 -0500, Rick Rottman
    <> wrote:

    >The guy definitely has some 'splaining to do. It just doesn't make
    >sense. ME is arguably the most buggy microsoft OS. It uses FAT and
    >XP uses NTFS. You cannot simply install ME over XP. Not that people
    >ever even try.

    I only have the word of the secretary that XP was previously installed
    on the machine. The last time I had inspected the machines (about 6
    weeks ago) they were all 98se's...no trouble at all. Then they brought
    someone in from a local school who said they had one "extra copy" of
    XP available. THEN they brought THIS guy in who "upgraded" to ME.

    Now every time the computers are restarted I either have a failed DLL
    file or something else crashing like rundll32. I don't even DARE
    touch the keyboard or mouse while it's booting up, or else the entire
    system will freeze (not even the task manager at CTL-ALT-DEL works).
    ME is a piece of s---.

    Dan
    dstvns, Feb 12, 2004
  4. dstvns

    KDHAKL Guest

    The only good thing that can be said for XP is that it makes a great coffee
    coaster.

    I have found that the machines that have ME on them are usually the ones
    that give me the most problems.

    I have adopted the practice of recommending that they upgrade (better still
    clean install) to XP Pro. I even offer to do this at a discounted rate as
    it will safe the customer monet in the long run
    KDHAKL, Feb 21, 2004