    under Vista on the laptop.

    Can anyone help? It would be much appreciated.
    , Aug 1, 2008

  2. One of the problems is that for Vista to see XP is the XP
    needs LLTD. There is a download for XP 32-bit, but I have
    yet to find one for XP x64. Without the LLTD Vista will
    never see the XP machine.

    And, AFAIK, Vista will not allow you to see it until you set
    up a login for you to use. With all the "security" updates,
    I am currently forced to use a login for my XP machines, too.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 1, 2008

  3. Ahem. . .You aren't using your normal straight through cables from your
    hub/switch, are you? If you are connecting two ethernet cards directly, you
    will need a crossed cable.

    Beyond this - if, I'm not mistaken, you should use unique 'computernames'
    for each PC, but the same 'workgroupname'.

    If you want to reconfigure everything from scratch you might consider
    uninstalling the device in question and reboot and then reinstall. It
    shouldn't be neccessary, but I find it to be reassuring whenever I want to
    make sure that I am not forgetting any of the essential steps doing stuff I
    don't do all of the time.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 1, 2008
  4. You're pretty much right, Bobby. Without a Domain to manage things, the new
    networking in Vista makes it very difficult to "see" any downlevel clients.
    There are workarounds - if you've shared a device or folder on the downlevel
    machine (XP x64 in this case), you can explicitly connect to it by knowing
    the share name and the machine name, assuming you have the windows firewall
    configured to allow connections. So, for example, I can't browse and see my
    XP x64 VM (hp350-xpx64-01) from my Vista 64 desktop. But I _can_ connect to
    my Public folder on it, which is shared as "public" with full rights to all.
    From a command window:

    net use * \\hp350-xpx64-01\public

    works just fine. If you've matched your user names and passwords on both
    machines, you won't be prompted for credentials. BTW, if your DNS doesn't
    resolve the machine name, you can still use explict IP addresses for
    connections.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 1, 2008
  5. Guest

    Thank you all very much for you comments and advice.

    Difficult, or impossible to set up a simple network based on an X64
    machine so that a physically connected Vista machine can use the XP64s
    printer! What on earth are Microsoft doing (or not doing)?

    I will have another go at it within a few days on the "shared folder"
    basis.

    At least it's good to know I wasn't just me doing something stupid.

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 16:25:25 +0100, wrote:

    >I'm quite an experienced computer user but have never before tried to
    >set up a home network and I have completely failed to succeed with it.
    >
    >Equipment is D/top with XP64, new Samsung Laptop with Vista32 and a
    >fairly new Buffalo wireless/wired router.
    >
    >Both machines connect OK to the internet - D/top via cable to router
    >and laptop by wireless.
    >
    >What I've failed to achieve is to set up a wired network between the 2
    >machines so we can exchange files and share the use of the printer
    >connected to the D/top machine. However, I have been able to ping each
    >machine from the other. The difficulty seems to be setting up the
    >N/work on the D/top and seeing the laptop.
    >
    >Whereas I'd be delighted for someone to tell me where I've been going
    >wrong, I'm unsure how to properly undo things on the D/top so I can
    >start again and have another go at it. It seems quite straightforward
    >under Vista on the laptop.
    >
    >Can anyone help? It would be much appreciated.
    , Aug 3, 2008
  6. I did copy the necessary files off a Vista x64 system and
    copy them onto my XP x64 system to install LLTD on it. I
    was then able to 'see' the XP x64 machine from Vista.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 4, 2008
  7. Tom Ferguson Guest

    Glad that proved satisfactory for you. However, Link Layer Topology
    Discovery (LLTD) Responder, (KB922120), is available here-
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1d-ee46-481e-ba11-37f485fa34ea&displaylang=en

    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Aug 4, 2008
  8. Bobby Johnson, Aug 4, 2008
  9. Tom Ferguson Guest

    OK. I should have added 'for XP 32 bit', after 'available here', for greater
    clarity.
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Aug 4, 2008
  10. Also, the version you pointed to will not install on XP
    32-bit w/SP3. There is a version for SP3 but you have to
    contact Microsoft for the new v6 file for SP3. The SP3 file
    is WindowsXP-KB922120-v6-x86-ENU.exe

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 4, 2008
  11. Guest

    Bobby,

    Any chance you could email the files from Vista64 to me so I can
    install LLTD, please?

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 19:21:16 -0400, Bobby Johnson
    <> wrote:

    >I did copy the necessary files off a Vista x64 system and
    >copy them onto my XP x64 system to install LLTD on it. I
    >was then able to 'see' the XP x64 machine from Vista.
    >

    > wrote:
    >> Thank you all very much for you comments and advice.
    >>
    >> Difficult, or impossible to set up a simple network based on an X64
    >> machine so that a physically connected Vista machine can use the XP64s
    >> printer! What on earth are Microsoft doing (or not doing)?
    >>
    >> I will have another go at it within a few days on the "shared folder"
    >> basis.
    >>
    >> At least it's good to know I wasn't just me doing something stupid.
    >>

    >> On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 16:25:25 +0100, wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm quite an experienced computer user but have never before tried to
    >>> set up a home network and I have completely failed to succeed with it.
    >>>
    >>> Equipment is D/top with XP64, new Samsung Laptop with Vista32 and a
    >>> fairly new Buffalo wireless/wired router.
    >>>
    >>> Both machines connect OK to the internet - D/top via cable to router
    >>> and laptop by wireless.
    >>>
    >>> What I've failed to achieve is to set up a wired network between the 2
    >>> machines so we can exchange files and share the use of the printer
    >>> connected to the D/top machine. However, I have been able to ping each
    >>> machine from the other. The difficulty seems to be setting up the
    >>> N/work on the D/top and seeing the laptop.
    >>>
    >>> Whereas I'd be delighted for someone to tell me where I've been going
    >>> wrong, I'm unsure how to properly undo things on the D/top so I can
    >>> start again and have another go at it. It seems quite straightforward
    >>> under Vista on the laptop.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help? It would be much appreciated.

    William
    , Aug 4, 2008
  12. Tom Ferguson Guest

    Thanks. Useful to know.
    TF

    Tom Ferguson, Aug 4, 2008
  13. Tom Ferguson Guest

    Updated link PARTICULARLY desirable for XP 32 bit with SP3 installed:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

    Tom Ferguson, Aug 5, 2008
  14. Tom Ferguson Guest

    PS
    The MSKB article was updated Aug 1, 2008

    Tom Ferguson, Aug 5, 2008
  15. I can do that. I'll let you know when I get the files and
    info together. I did it a couple of months ago, but I don't
    think I saved it anywhere.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 5, 2008
  16. Although the KB is updated, the download link is still for
    SP2, it's the v5 file.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 5, 2008
  17. Although the KB is updated, the download link is still for
    SP2, it's the v5 file.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 5, 2008
  18. Is this a valid email?

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 5, 2008
  19. Tom Ferguson Guest

    I suppose you do have to look at the section in the MSKB article, toward the
    bottom, entitled 'Hotfix for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)' to see that
    one should contact Microsoft support to get the Hotfix rather than the file
    downloadable from the page.

    TF

    Tom Ferguson, Aug 5, 2008
  20. Tom Ferguson Guest