Help - My son's computer won't work

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Mike Day, Apr 11, 2004.

  1. Mike Day

    Mike Day Guest

    My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor and
    MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
    Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
    worked well.

    He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
    monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
    monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.

    The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but that it
    all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are all
    OK.

    He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16 year
    old, I am not so sure.

    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the problem
    and how I can fix it ?

    TIA
    Mike
    Mike Day, Apr 11, 2004

  2. Mike Day

    Michael-NC Guest

    Any beep codes when the machine starts?

    Did you try to reseat the memory modules?

    Check to make sure the CPU fan is securely attached?

    Try to reseat the video card?

    Make sure the board is not shorting on the case or misplaced standoff?

    Try to boot after disconnecting _all_ components except memory and video
    card?

    Michael-NC, Apr 11, 2004

  3. Mike Day

    Wizard Guest

    Open it up and make sure the memory is tight in it's slot and check all
    other cards and cables.

    Wizard, Apr 11, 2004
  4. Mike Day

    Michael-NC Guest

    Is there an echo in here? ;-)

    Michael-NC, Apr 11, 2004
  5. Mike Day

    HF Guest

    Put a boot disk in and see how far you get .Dont know what your OS is but if
    it is a 98 or Me OS then use fdisk from the boot disk to look at the drive.
    At the worst reinstal the OS. If it is XP make sure the bios is set to look
    to the cdrom to boot and put that in.If he loses data how much can he lose
    after only four months.
    "Mike Day" <> wrote in message
    > My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor and
    > MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
    > Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
    > worked well.
    >
    > He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
    > monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
    > monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.
    >
    > The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but that

    it
    > all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are

    all
    > OK.
    >
    > He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16

    year
    > old, I am not so sure.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the problem
    > and how I can fix it ?
    >
    > TIA
    > Mike

    ---
    HF, Apr 11, 2004
  6. Mike Day

    "Mike Day" <> wrote in message
    > My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor and
    > MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
    > Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
    > worked well.
    >
    > He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
    > monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
    > monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.
    >
    > The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but that

    it
    > all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are

    all
    > OK.
    >
    > He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16

    year
    > old, I am not so sure.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the problem
    > and how I can fix it ?
    >
    > TIA
    > Mike

    ---
    HF, Apr 11, 2004
  7. Mike Day

    bearman Guest

    "Mike Day" <> wrote in message
    > My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor and
    > MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
    > Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
    > worked well.
    >
    > He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
    > monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
    > monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.
    >
    > The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but that

    it
    > all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are

    all
    > OK.
    >
    > He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16

    year
    > old, I am not so sure.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the problem
    > and how I can fix it ?
    >
    > TIA
    > Mike

    Try turning off the power switch in the back of the machine (or even
    unplugging it) for a while.

    Bearman
    bearman, Apr 11, 2004
  8. Mike Day

    Mike Day Guest

    I have tried everything you have suggested and still i get no response on
    the screen and i get no beeps at all. Do you have any other suggestions as
    to what maybe the problem and how i can solve it?
    Thanks.

    Mike Day, Apr 11, 2004
  9. Mike Day

    Daniel Guest

    My feeling is that your son might have accidentaly deleted some critical OS
    components. Try to do a clean re-install of the OS system, which will also
    mean the hard drive will be wiped clean.

    Daniel

    Daniel, Apr 11, 2004
  10. Mike Day

    Michael-NC Guest

    He may have tried to overclock the CPU and the machine is stuck in a
    unsupportable setting. Try to reset the cmos. You need to have the manual to
    ID the jumper but it's usually by the battery and you just need to move it
    over to the next set of pins for a few seconds. Alternatively, remove the
    battery for a couple hours and that should do it as well. If all else fails,
    remove the board from the machine and look for misplaced motherboard
    stand-offs that are shorting the board. Try the board out of the machine
    with only video card, one stick of ram and CPU with fan attached. Se if it
    will post out of the machine. If that fails, I'd try a new power supply.

    Michael-NC, Apr 11, 2004
  11. Mike Day

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > My feeling is that your son might have accidentaly deleted some critical

    OS
    > components. Try to do a clean re-install of the OS system, which will also
    > mean the hard drive will be wiped clean.
    >
    > Daniel

    Removing critical files or even removing the hard disc entirely would not
    cause the machine to not post. That is not the problem.
    Michael-NC, Apr 11, 2004
  12. Mike Day

    Michael-NC Guest

    "HF" <21.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Put a boot disk in and see how far you get .Dont know what your OS is but

    if
    > it is a 98 or Me OS then use fdisk from the boot disk to look at the

    drive.
    > At the worst reinstal the OS. If it is XP make sure the bios is set to

    look
    > to the cdrom to boot and put that in.If he loses data how much can he lose
    > after only four months.

    Again, if the machine will not post, a boot disc will not help you.
    Michael-NC, Apr 11, 2004
  13. Mike Day

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Mike Day" <> wrote in message
    > My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor and
    > MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
    > Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
    > worked well.
    >
    > He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
    > monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
    > monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.
    >
    > The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but that

    it
    > all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are

    all
    > OK.
    >
    > He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16

    year
    > old, I am not so sure.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the problem
    > and how I can fix it ?
    >
    > TIA
    > Mike

    I had this problem a couple of times. You turn your computer on, and nothing
    happens. You can't even get into the BIOS because the system wont even
    start, only the power comes on so the HD and fans come on, but nothing
    happens. Ever time I've had this problem its been because a screw inside my
    case has become loose and dropped onto either my motherboard or case bottom.

    In the case of the screw dropping on my motherboard, the computer was usless
    after that, had to buy a new one.
    But when the screw had dropped onto the bottom of my case, I replaced the
    screw and my computer worked fine. So check inside the case to make sure
    nothing has come loose, and your son hasn't taken the case off and dropped a
    screw on the motherboard.

    The other thing which has caused my computer to do this, was loose cables
    connecting my components. Check all of the cables, on the motherboard and
    the components.

    Hope this helped,

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, Apr 11, 2004
  14. Mike Day

    Jerry G. Guest

    Do you get any of the standard post messages? If not, remove everything
    except the RAM. See if you get a post message when the power is applied. If
    you do not, I would strongly think the mother board or the CPU has failed.

    Just recently, I had to change a mother board in a machine. It was
    completely stopped. Everything else in this machine was good.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Apr 12, 2004
  15. Mike Day

    Mark Guest

    I've got the same mobo and had the same problem only yesterday with no
    video signal. It happened as a result of "tinkering" with
    overclocking.... However, I'm not 16 so can freely admit to my mistake
    without incurring the wrath of my Dad :)

    What fixed it for me:

    There is a separate jumper on the K7N2 delta mobo (J11 I think it's
    called) which puts the FSB into "safe mode" (100 as opposed to 133).
    Set the jumper to safe mode (it is in the manual but if you don't have
    access I'm sure it is online - or I can look later for you. It's only
    got 3 pins with a 2 pin jumper so can only have 2 possible positions
    in any case...) then boot the system. This should allow you into BIOS
    to load the system defaults (or finally get your son to admit which
    settings he changed...). Once you're happy with the BIOS settings,
    save them and exit. Power off as normal and reset the FSB jumper to
    "user mode" (ie 133). Reboot and you should be sorted.

    Good luck.

    Regards

    Mark

    Mark, Apr 14, 2004